The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silly Billy agrees that the UK syle is best! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
As a Canadian, and someone who originally began to learn the art of entertaining children with magic from American sources, I felt there was something missing. I didn't want to be a children's magician, but more of a children's entertainer who used magic tricks, along with puppets, story telling and other things children enjoyed.

My main focus has always been about my character. I wanted children to relate to my character while feeling like I was on their level, and not some adult who could do some really cool stuff, or an adult trying to act like a kid with goofy costumes. I wanted to give off the impression that I was the type of person they would love to hang around with and never be bored with.

I believe I have created such a character. It wasn't really hard when I discovered the character I was looking for was already inside me. It was the boy inside of me. I took that boy and applied all my acting skills I had learned and studied in my years and came up with what's been a great character that children love.

I use lots of comedy children relate to. I use puppets, and funny gags, and love getting the children involved in the show. I don't write any script because some of the best material comes from improvising through unexpected situations. I do have an outline though, but feel that having room for improvising can make for some really great spontaneous moments.

It would seem that my main influence is UK children entertainers, but not quite true. My influences comes from years of theater experience, acting classes, and watching cartoons, not other UK children performers. I watch UK performers and see some of what I do to be similar. But, then again, Canada is a place that takes much of it's influence from Britain and the USA. Smile
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I'm highly impressed that one of Mark Lewis's threads is here at the top of the "Little Darlings", and that he's also recognized as a VIP.

Last time I was here (several years ago), Mark was banned - and had been banned many times, completely without reason.

Perhaps the MC is once again a place that magicians can talk - and criticise - with reason?
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
That would be nice. We could open up a "café museum" featuring the ruins & casualties of the arguments over various subjects!

"Here we see the posts of the '10 things to vanish from kids' shows' thread.......this is Chance Wolf's Mark Lewis-disguise....and this is a relic from the great street-magic vs. busking war, and to thios day, NO ONE can prove that the street-magic side ever even actually EXISTED....and this 3-sq. inch case contains all the props ever used by the Great Zucchini"
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I am considering returning to the Café on a more regular basis. It is so much better than Facebook. Smile JR
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
You should send in an application to join the Jolly Jammers group on FB, no riff-raff allowed.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, MickNZ wrote:
You should send in an application to join the Jolly Jammers group on FB, no riff-raff allowed.

In my wisdom, I decided to close The Jolly Jammers. It was a good move quite frankly! Smile
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
You must be confused it's still up and running, I was just reading some posts there today.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Me too
marjochan
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of marjochan
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I'm highly impressed that one of Mark Lewis's threads is here at the top of the "Little Darlings", and that he's also recognized as a VIP.

Last time I was here (several years ago), Mark was banned - and had been banned many times, completely without reason.

Perhaps the MC is once again a place that magicians can talk - and criticise - with reason?

I think Mark Lewis still has a lot to give to the magic community. Agreed, he may be outspoken at times but nobody can accuse him of cyber bullying which seems to happen onn an almost daily basis on Magic forums. Bring back Mark Lewis I say. Also, I have heard that Mark Lewis and Jolly Roger are going to do a worldwide lecture tour starting in the UK. My ticket money is ready.
Martin Duffy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Martin Duffy
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, Jolly Roger wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, MickNZ wrote:

In my wisdom, I decided to close The Jolly Jammers. It was a good move quite frankly! Smile

I'm in Jolly Jammers and love it. I thought you'd been quiet recently Roger.
marjochan
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of marjochan
I didn't actually realize that Mark Lewis was still banned. Pity really as his posts have certainly helped me over the years and I am sure they have helped many others. His letter routine is a thing of beauty. Hopefully somebody on here will let him back in. Looking forward to his tour with Jolly Roger.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Ladies and gentlemen.....I suppose I had better explain what this is all about. I had a Facebook group called "The Jolly Jammers" which had a membership of 52 wonderful magicians, who I had personally selected for membership after extreme vetting and background checks. There was a huge waiting list of people wanting to join, but I wanted to keep the group at a maximum of 52 members, and a couple of jokers. A few weeks ago, I closed down the group, as my career has been moving in an exciting new direction. However, unfortunately some rather envious and unscrupulous children's entertainers, both British and American riff-raff I may add, decided to open their own Jolly Jammers group. They even copied my wallpaper and group description. It is all rather sad and pathetic. However, because of my spiritual nature, I have forgiven them, and have no plans on reporting them to either Mark Zuckerberg or Donald Trump. So there you have it. I am so sorry that this excellent thread has had to be sidetracked with all this ridiculousness!! Smile JR
marjochan
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of marjochan
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2017, Jolly Roger wrote:
It is all rather sad and pathetic. However, because of my spiritual nature, I have forgiven them, and have no plans on reporting them to either Mark Zuckerberg or Donald Trump. So there you have it. I am so sorry that this excellent thread has had to be sidetracked with all this ridiculousness!! Smile JR

Agreed it is all a tad unnecessary. Moving back to the original topic though, it is interesting that both you and Mark Lewis are British and both of you have lasted the course in the UK and USA/Canada. A true sign of professionals. I know Mark Lewis has pretty much stopped doing
Children's shows which is a pity. I hope you both keep going for many years yet. Looking forward to the tour......
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
I am considering returning to the Café on a more regular basis. It is so much better than Facebook. Smile JR

Me too, Roger. Facebook has started to irritate me more than the Magic Café used to do. Smile And, despite it's many faults, the Café does keep folks on-topic, talking about magic, instead of digressing into pointless debates about politics, religion, and other nonsense.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2017, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Quote:

Me too, Roger. Facebook has started to irritate me more than the Magic Café used to do. Smile And, despite it's many faults, the Café does keep folks on-topic, talking about magic, instead of digressing into pointless debates about politics, religion, and other nonsense.

Absolutely! I bet Donald Trump thinks Facebook is a disaster!!! Smile JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
This really is an interesting thread on so many levels. Well worth reading, and even commenting! Smile JR
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well, I live in the US and every so often I see performances of a kids show from a US performer on Youtube. Besides a few of the top US kids performers I have seen in action sporadically, Tommy James and Silly Billy to name a few, I find that majority performances I watch are pretty boring and agree that they have these nice props but the "entertainment factor" is truly missing. What I mean when I say "entertainment factor" is predominately ENERGY! It's just not there. One of my statements I always tell potential clients about my show is that "I am movin' and goovin' and always keep the kids laughing and engaged" which is exactly what I strive for. Energy opens up so many avenues which always equates to FUN - the ultimate end goal for my show. I just broke the age of 50 and pray everyday that I can keep up this energy to entertain. Of course you should practice and hone your magic skills which will allow you to focus more on that ENERGY and presentation. I am at the point now in my career where I can entertain with minimal props which I find to be a great advantage. When that point is reached you will find that being IMPROMPTU and the ability to react and act quickly from situations that arise during your show keeps getting better. Hence, your "entertainment factor" rises making you more desirable.

Simply put - IMO, kids would much rather Laugh than be Mystified. Obviously we as performers want to perform great magic and should always practice and strive to do so. But more importantly - make the kids LAUGH and you will be a hit!

Just my thoughts....
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2023, RNK wrote:
Well, I live in the US and every so often I see performances of a kids show from a US performer on Youtube. Besides a few of the top US kids performers I have seen in action sporadically, Tommy James and Silly Billy to name a few, I find that majority performances I watch are pretty boring and agree that they have these nice props but the "entertainment factor" is truly missing. What I mean when I say "entertainment factor" is predominately ENERGY! It's just not there. One of my statements I always tell potential clients about my show is that "I am movin' and goovin' and always keep the kids laughing and engaged" which is exactly what I strive for. Energy opens up so many avenues which always equates to FUN - the ultimate end goal for my show. I just broke the age of 50 and pray everyday that I can keep up this energy to entertain. Of course you should practice and hone your magic skills which will allow you to focus more on that ENERGY and presentation. I am at the point now in my career where I can entertain with minimal props which I find to be a great advantage. When that point is reached you will find that being IMPROMPTU and the ability to react and act quickly from situations that arise during your show keeps getting better. Hence, your "entertainment factor" rises making you more desirable.

Simply put - IMO, kids would much rather Laugh than be Mystified. Obviously we as performers want to perform great magic and should always practice and strive to do so. But more importantly - make the kids LAUGH and you will be a hit!

Just my thoughts....

Great post my friend....and I 100% agree with you!
Smile JR
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Ah, what a pleasant stroll down memory lane this was.

Lord but I miss Mr. Lewis. And Dynamike----SUCH a tragedy.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2023, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Ah, what a pleasant stroll down memory lane this was.

Lord but I miss Mr. Lewis. And Dynamike----SUCH a tragedy.

Me too. Happy days!
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silly Billy agrees that the UK syle is best! (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL