The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rubber Bands for Crystal Silk Tube (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Anyone know where to get some replacement rubber bands for the Crystal Silk Tube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp0scgsF40k

When I googled the Crystal Silk Tube the first suggestion was for the video I linked above (just in case you are unfamiliar with the trick) and it is performed by a magician who ironically shares my first name, but FYI there is no affiliation.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Check out this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#16

I would also recommend an orthodontist.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Using a single edged safety razor blade you can "slice" your own from a piece of surgical tubing or find a local orthodontist (braces). The rubber bands should be the same size used in most folding quarters, so just about any magic dealer will be more have some for sale.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Before I got the Groovy Silk Tube from Smokey mountain, I was using the bands for folding halves. They were smaller then the ones included so they held better.
-Matt
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I cut some rubber bands from a clear 260 balloon - the ones that are used for balloon twisting. Just use scissors and with the balloon flat, cut across it.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I second the orthodontic bands....theyre durable and long-lasting (think about what theyre built to do!) But just to be safe, I always have 3 on the tube.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
785 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I use orthodontic bands but the kids in the audience don't seem to like it when I root around in their mouth just before the show.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I use small magnets...no bands to ever worry about!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Interesting that you say you always keep 3 bands on the tube. I actually put 4 on each side and produce a giant multicolor streamer! Red Orange Yellow Blue Green and Purple (to teach the actual colors in the rainbow!) with one to spare on each side.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I agree with Mr. Lyle.. why use rubber bands when Radio Shack has tiny VERY STRONG magnets that are more reliable, just as strong.. and are FAR less hassle..

They can be glued to the corners of the silks with super glue.. or sewn in place.. either way.. it's a much easier trick to perform.. and looks no different to the audience..

and sadly.. it's not much of a trick to start with...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I get orthodonic braces rubber bands from ebay. They come in 1/4", and 5/16" sizes. Do you have the P&A Silks tube or brand X?

It is a great trick if you use red, white, and blue silks, and morf it into a mis made flag routine.

Posted: Aug 27, 2011 9:11am
Magnets are a great idea, but magnets won't work if you do the Silly Billy routine. Using the rubber bands allow you to miss it the first couple time. If you just do the finale it is not such a great routine. In order to make it really magical you need to have an imagination.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 09:11, Al Angello wrote:
Magnets are a great idea, but magnets won't work if you do the Silly Billy routine. Using the rubber bands allow you to miss it the first couple time. If you just do the finale it is not such a great routine. In order to make it really magical you need to have an imagination.

Al,

You can still do Silly Billy's routine with Magnets. You just put the silks in backwards so nothing attracts to each others. I miss it twice and then I nail it on my 3rd attempt. The magnets were not my idea, but an idea that Pavel gave me when he watched me do this routine back in the 80s (using rubber bands) after a lecture of his I attended. I have used magnets ever since!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
You can't go wrong taking advise from Pavel.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Since you would be gluing the magnets to opposite corners of the center silk, you could also insert that silk so the two unprepared corners are protruding from the ends of the tube. They would not attract the other two silks (although they MIGHT stick to each other! LOL!) Just experiment, I am sure you'll find a way to make it work.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 08:43, REV BILL wrote:
I use orthodontic bands but the kids in the audience don't seem to like it when I root around in their mouth just before the show.

HA!
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
155 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
I just use the mouth end of a 260 balloon also. it is so strong, that it can be re-used a million times.
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 18:18, Magicalpro wrote:
I just use the mouth end of a 260 balloon also. it is so strong, that it can be re-used a million times.

how do you conceal the color contrast on the tube to the balloon end/elastic?
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Nick Astle
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Nick Astle
The easiest is definitely to go to an orthodontist. I should go get more for mine, but I don't perform it that often, it doesn't seem to get the reactions I want. It's probably my performance, I suppose.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Thanks for all the input so far everyone... Hard to believe with so many kids wearing braces that these are not available at drugstores. I did make some out of the nozzle end of a clear 260 balloon animal balloon and that works pretty well. Thanks Kurt!

Thanks also for the magnetic idea Michael. I love magnets but decided to keep it simple on this one and stick with the way I have been performing it.

Randy: I don't think kids are looking for it and given that you have the tube moving a lot I don't think anyone will likely notice the bands on the end of the tube. (just my best guess since I have yet to use this technique)

Nick: I would recommend David Kaye's Seriously Silly DVD. He has a great presentation for the Crystal Silk Tube. (along with 5 other great routines)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm just getting used to this routine and I'm finding the rubber bands can burn you if not slid on properly. Silly Billy merely pushes his band on quite nonchanlantly and it does take practice. I haven't tried it with magnets yet but I plan on trying that too. I'm thinking though that the rubber bands look more like "magical knots" than the magnets will. But what do I know?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rubber Bands for Crystal Silk Tube (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL