The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rubber Bands for Crystal Silk Tube (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
See Lectures Notes by Dick Oslund for this. He has a great handling for it.

Pete
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 02:23, MagiCol wrote:
I cut some rubber bands from a clear 260 balloon - the ones that are used for balloon twisting. Just use scissors and with the balloon flat, cut across it.

Great idea!
Higgenbottom
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Higgenbottom
I'm not familiar with the workings, but it sounds like you could use some tiny rubber bands designed for holding pony tails. Sometimes you can get clear one, some are colored. The dollar store is a likely source, although I've also seen them at more up-scale establishments too.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The rubber bands requested, and supplied by manufacturer are 1/4", or 5/16" orthodontic rubber bands. Don't complicate matters, they are available on ebay for pennies.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Rev. Bill. Wish I had said that.
"Don't run with those..."
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 18:18, Magicalpro wrote:
I just use the mouth end of a 260 balloon also. it is so strong, that it can be re-used a million times.

I like this idea... however, wouldn't it be easy to see when around the Tube in it's starting position? Because with a brightly colored balloon, I would think it obvious to see.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 10:17, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 09:11, Al Angello wrote:
Magnets are a great idea, but magnets won't work if you do the Silly Billy routine. Using the rubber bands allow you to miss it the first couple time. If you just do the finale it is not such a great routine. In order to make it really magical you need to have an imagination.

Al,

You can still do Silly Billy's routine with Magnets. You just put the silks in backwards so nothing attracts to each others. I miss it twice and then I nail it on my 3rd attempt. The magnets were not my idea, but an idea that Pavel gave me when he watched me do this routine back in the 80s (using rubber bands) after a lecture of his I attended. I have used magnets ever since!

Don't the magnets make them fall weird on the miss?

I had bands on my brace as a kid. My teeth have started hurt.ing just thinking about it. Wish I'd kept a few bags now though
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You can pick up the orthodontic bands at many pharmacies. At least here you can.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have used 1/4", and 5/16" rubber bands. I do not think that the 3/8" rubber bands are small enough to hold the scarves together.
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Love this trick!
I get othro bands off ebay or you could also buy folding quarter elastics from a magic dealer.
Always have a 3rd back-up on the tube.
If you are doing a show for an ethnic group, for example Irish or Italian, use the colours on their flag in your routine. It gets noticed.
Owen Anderson
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do mine with a red, white, and blue silk, then I change them to a mis made flag routine.

The rubber bands for the folding quarter are the 1/4" bands.
kcbeave
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
I know this is an old thread but you can do the same effect with the Mikame dream tunnel. I think it looks better and the 3 silks are actually tied together so a spectator can hold them.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2011, Peter Stobie wrote:
See Lectures Notes by Dick Oslund for this. He has a great handling for it.

Pete

I agree with Peter!

Or check our pages 273-276 in my book, "DICK OSLUND -- ROAD SCHOLAR".

Here is the basic problem. As "it" comes from the box, like oatmeal, it's not ready to eat. All you get is a neat plastic cylinder, three 12" silks, and a few "sneaky things". They aren't gimmicks. They aren't fekes. They're sneaky things. The instructions tell you to insert the silks, one at a time, into the cylinder, As you're doing this, Use the sneaky things. Then, blow thru the tube, like a fat pea shooter, and the silks will come out, projected by your wind power, tied together. HO HUM

As someone above said, "It aint much of a trick."

As S.H. Sharpe said, years ago, "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

You must realize this: Ya didn't BUY a trick. Ya cannot BUY a trick. A trick only exists while it is being performed.

Ya bought some props and a secret. Using those props and the secret, you can perform a trick. IF you perform the trick with a good PRESENTATION, you MAY entertain your spectator(s).

Magic is not inherently entertaining!!!

A good presentation requires SHOWMANSHIP. First rule of showmanship: "It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it!"

I wrote up the presentation, that I developed for a young magician whom I was mentoring him, almost 50 years ago. He turned full time professional, and, used that presentation, successfully for years.

I had shown him how to apparently convince the spectators that the silks were really tied together, when they were blown out of the tube. I had shown him how to keep his fingers from getting tangled, and, how to display the "tied" silks at the finish. Every thing that I had shown him, was 100% simple,and required no knuckle busting manipulation.

My slogan for over 50 years, has been, KIS MIF. (acronym for "Keep It Simple Make It Fun"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S. My dear old friend, Gene Anderson, who tears up newspapers, has his own name for those "stretchy rubber loops". He calls them "variable tension grippers".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If you're going to do this, do it right. Get the Groove Tube from Dan at Smokey Mountain Magic. He provides "gimmicks" that are made from polyethylene or some plastic - they are virtually invisible on the tube. I use Silly Billy's routine and use three regular 18" silks. Looks more like a big trick than the original. And you can handle them normally without the fear of them coming apart.

Before I bought Dan's, I did use the standard blow tube. However, I used diagonal cut silks. Looked a lot better than those 12" postage stamps silks being blown out of the tube.
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Loom bands: 500 for $1. Come in every color you want.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rubber Bands for Crystal Silk Tube (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL