The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Deans Box (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean is so upset he doesn't even want to read any of these posts.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It's been my experience that many of the top pros take a stand on creator's rights. For example, Murray Hatfield has said this in the past about unauthorized illusions:

"If you can't afford the 'real' (authorized) prop then chances are, you're not ready for it."

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
This problem has become epidemic. Two of my advertising clients were ripped off this month alone. All intellectual property has become fair game.

Litigation is not the answer. It is costly, time consuming and stressful.
International patent protection is beyond the means of most of us and is usually useless anyway.

When your name or tradmarked product name, ad copy, photos, etc. is used in their advertising,
you should immediately send a CEASE AND DESIST LETTER.

Another tactic that offers some measure of satisfaction is to use it to your advantage in your own advertising. Phrases like "The Original", "Accept no substitutes" will get the point across.

Otherwise, about all you can do is try not to get jaded. With 47 years in business, I've seen more of these hijinks than you could imagine. One of the most important parts of product development is to take all steps possible to protect yourself BEFORE THE FACT.

Thanks to the Magic Café, the word is out. Hopefully this will have an effect on their bottom line and the bums will think twice about pulling this stunt again.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
All I can say is Bill Groome is an idiot. If you don't like me saying that. Too @#&@! bad.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I understand the frustration here (as you can see by my reaction to Spellbinder, all I remember was some guy named Spellbinder ripping off Dukes Dye Version under the guise of upgrading it and this same magic shop gleefully promoting it).

Not a whole lot can be done and even this entire thread could be considered an ad because we are letting hundreds of people know where they can get this product. Currently this shop has a world ranking of 807,458 and a US ranking of 238,515. It would be interesting to check the stats again in a month and see if this thread affected them one way or another. If the traffic flow goes up, perhaps the Café should consider moving threads like this into the 50 or more category because they generate free publicity (this entire thread is getting the word out someone is selling something cheap).

I do feel bad for Dean and I know that won't go away anytime soon (Dukes Dye Version still ticks me off because the guy renamed it to his name - Spellbinders Dye Version). If you complain you get letters like the one above which try to deflect the blame (are you afraid of competition, competition is good, the Walmart line or foreign car line, don't you sell _____ which is a deviation from _______ , I'm not doing anything illegal, I bought the rights from "some unrelated third part", I laminated the instructions and improved it, etc ).

I can offer one positive (or perhaps I should say one neutral), it does seem that Dukes Dye Version has not endured any bad effects from this as it still sells well. The silks Abbott supplies are made at the plant and meticulously hand dyed by a lady name Karin from high quality silks (check out the silk process at http://youtu.be/cBZei4_qOTs and you will see what you are paying for) - they are not cheap and were not meant to be! People still see the value in quality (more than the value in saving a buck) and likewise will see the value in Deans box over the imitation.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Well it seems the emails have helped, even if it is just a little late> I received an email from Bill this morning in response to my protest emails. Here is the content:

Hi Ken.
We have decided to pull the product once our inventory sells out, due to all the controversy. I doubt it will change anything much. We are only one drop of water in the bucket.
All the Best,
Bill

Ken
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
"Inventory runs out" ???? He should NOT sell these, he should either burn them or ship them back to the maker.
Bill Groome
View Profile
New user
Columbia, S.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Bill Groome
I really don't understand your logic Pete, no disrespect. Your friends buy these products and that's okay (from your former post)??? They support this industry financially, yet you are up in arms over the people selling it? It's kind of hypocritical to financially support this trade and at the same time lambaste it.
Regardless, we will discontinue the product once the inventory runs out. I don't need the hassle. Regardless the product will still be available for you and your friends from other dealers in the USA.
All the Best,
Bill Groome (owner)
www.MadhatterMagicShop.com
Madhatter International
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Well to be fair, Pete didn't say his friends, he said people he knew, which is not quite the same. We can't be held responsible for the behaviour of everyone we know.
Jolyon Jenkins
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
What about the knock off Losander table?
Bill Groome
View Profile
New user
Columbia, S.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Bill Groome
What about the knock off Strat-O-Sphere? Look I know you are a dealer/manufacturer so I know you have an agenda. The tables are distributed through a major US distributor, which means half the US dealers are carrying it. Take it up with the distributor.
All the Best,
Bill Groome (owner)
www.MadhatterMagicShop.com
Madhatter International
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I probably should have said, "People I heard about". This came from Dean saying he had calls from guys that bought boxes on ebay (very cheap) and they "thought" he made them and were calling to complain about the quality.

You should have been with Dean yesterday to see him "prepare, inspect and pack" two boxes for customers. It was like watching a parent getting his child ready for the day.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
When I bought my Deans Box (directly from Dean) it came shipped in so much stuff to protect it, it was insane. You can really tell that Dean cares a great deal about "his baby!" Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2012-05-31 11:54, Bill Groome wrote:
I really don't understand your logic Pete, no disrespect. Your friends buy these products and that's okay (from your former post)??? They support this industry financially, yet you are up in arms over the people selling it? It's kind of hypocritical to financially support this trade and at the same time lambaste it.
Regardless, we will discontinue the product once the inventory runs out. I don't need the hassle. Regardless the product will still be available for you and your friends from other dealers in the USA.

Why don't you do the only CORRECT THING and discontinue this item now? You can write it off on your taxes so you won't really loose anything. Plus it will show at least some act of ethics on your part. I bet you won't do the right thing however.
mickym
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of mickym
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 14:01, boydy wrote:
Does anyone have any routines in print using this prop?

Refering to the first post, see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtwBEAnunXc
Micky
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 23:07, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Grrrr!!!!
This stuff makes me so a-n-g-r-y!

How dare “reputable” magic shops (like Madhatter Magic below) carry an obvious knock-off of the fantastic Dean’s Box for $89.00?

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......id=10472

Dean Dill sweats over these things, put a lot of creativity and work into assembling the routines, and many of us gladly spent his $350 asking price.

It even SAYS: “Excellent Quality! (Generic Dean's Box)” …so they know it’s a rip-off product. There is no “generic” Dean’s Box.

I’m going to write them and see if they will support quality magic and magicians --and the rights of both-- and stop selling this product (and any other knock-offs they knowingly carry.) I’m also going to ask anyone who cares about integrity in magic as an art-form write them to.

I’ve bought from Madhatter, but NEVER will again as long as they perpetuate this disgusting practice. Is it stupidity or greed or both that drives this practice?

Magically,
Walt

I don't think it's greed, I would have to say it's called America, capitalism, and a consumers right to choose.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
If a maker or creator has a great product.a generic or knock off
should not hurt his sales at all.but if a maker or creator charges
50 to a 100 times it value then people will seek other choices.everyone
was not born with a silver spoon in their mouth.and people generally
seek good value in a product.we all do in everything we purchase
in our daily lifes.its called smart sense shopping.im not taking any sides on this.
just my opinon.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2012-05-31 09:12, magicgettogether wrote:
I can offer one positive (or perhaps I should say one neutral), it does seem that Dukes Dye Version has not endured any bad effects from this as it still sells well. The silks Abbott supplies are made at the plant and meticulously hand dyed by a lady name Karin from high quality silks (check out the silk process at http://youtu.be/cBZei4_qOTs and you will see what you are paying for) - they are not cheap and were not meant to be! People still see the value in quality (more than the value in saving a buck) and likewise will see the value in Deans box over the imitation.

I loved this video. I'm not a silk buyer, but this was enlightening none the less. Thank you.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Dean Dill didn't patent it. As we all know, hardly anyone patents magic tricks. It's a pity that this isn't an effective route to go down for magic inventors, but there it is. (Of course, whether Dean Dill's method was truly original is a matter of debate)

This is an unusual case though, because they have explicitly associated it with him and his name. But as far as I know he didn't trademark it either, which is perhaps a pity.

That seems to leave "passing off" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_off
But they are not pretending that it has an association with DD. The opposite in fact: they are proclaiming that it's a rip-off.

Since the laws on intellectual property don't really work for magic tricks, all that leaves is moral opprobrium, which they are getting in spades.

But you can't say "That's America", so it's OK. In most other industries, Dean Dill would have used the IP laws to protect his rights.
Jolyon Jenkins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Deans Box (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL