The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Little Slice of Hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Somewhere on this site, someone posted a youtube video of Little Slice of Hand. This is my latest project. I'm not sure exactly how it's built, but I know how I'm building mine. I'm making mine so that I can nonchalantly also show the back of the trick before beginning the illusion. http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/......6347.jpg

Posted: Sep 23, 2011 4:57am
I'm hoping to start painting it on Monday. I've ordered some latches off of the internet, and they were sent out yesterday. I'm expecting to be finished by next weekend.

This will be a great addition to the gory crazy magic I have. Just in time for Halloween.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You do know Magic Ian did not give you permission to build his prop. Don't be surprised if you hear from his Attorney.

You should send the $200 to Ian for his idea that you are stealing.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Wizardpa,
Although I am slightly flattered that you decided to make this, it is not something you are allowed to do. I have copyright protection on the instructions, trademark protection on the "slice of hand", and ethical protection from the magical community.
I do not sell a do-it-yourself kit on this.
I also still make them at a very reasonable price, probably just a few dollars more than what you might spend in time and effort in making your own.
What I do not know, I can't control, but you have elected to brag about making my item.
If you persist in flaunting your intellectual theft of my product, I will be forced to contact my attorney. An apology and no further mention of your progress in public forums will satisfy me at this time.
By the way, there is so much more to this than meets the eye.
-Magic Ian

Thanks for the support William.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I'd be interested in knowing what legal grounds your attorney would use to go after wizardpa.

Just curious...

Dan Wolfe
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Ian,

You mentioned Three ways your rights were protected. Were you able to sucsesfuly use any of these protections when the prop was copied in the past?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 14:34, gimpy2 wrote:
Ian,

You mentioned Three ways your rights were protected. Were you able to sucsessfuly use any of these protections when the prop was copied in the past?

I have used copyright protection on other items, on U.S. dealers who used my instruction and the item name. All of those dealers capitulated to the letters and ceased use and production. Dealers who carried the unauthorized knock-off in the U.S. have cooperated.
------------
China and Belgium have ignored me. I registered a domain name and have gotten biz from that.
http://www.mephistomagic.com
----------------------------
Then, there are the variations using the original principle behind the effect. Those who have done so, ignored me so far. Most of those companies went out of production.
-----------------------------
A lawyer letter is usually sufficient to guys like wizardpa, the imprint is part of the copyright.
-------------

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 4:53pm
I pm'd those questions.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I told magic Ian that I was sorry for basically stealing his creation. I'm not even sure how his works compared to mine. One thing I must say, is that I never planned to mass produce this and start selling them myself based on his design. Hey, I wouldn't even sell my plans to this. That wouldn't be right. There would be only one of these ever built. I actually had no idea who designed this until Magic Ian told me he did. Even the video on youtube was uploaded in 2006.
Now that being said, I am always willing to share my ideas and routines with anyone. I only do magic within my area. I will never be performing on AGT or David Letterman. I'm really no threat to anyone.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Wizardpa, so after all of this you still went and made your own version? Did you send a royalty payment to Ian for doing so? If not, you are a thief, not just of ideas but also of cash income. It doesn't matter that there is "only one", and that you didn't plan on making or selling more. If everyone did the same as you then what income would Ian have? What reason whould he have to continue inventing?

Lame, lame, lame.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Actually, they should eliminate the workshop from the forum. After all, 99% of what is built is copying someone's idea.
And I believe Ian and I have already settled this between ourselves.
Chris
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do believe that Wizardpa and Ian settled this by themselves.

I like the idea of the workshop as I think there are problem solving skills that are given, not always to make copies.

As to making copies for yourself in any regard, I guess the question then comes is what happens when the time comes that this will be passed on either through disuse or death. What happens then? I know of a clear chopper that was built by someone without Wellington's permission. When he passed on, his widow tried to sell it just to raise some money.

As you see this becomes a long term and complicated process.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If you were on AGT or Letterman, I would make the box FOR you.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
------------------
I settled this with wizardpa because I needed to see an evolution of thought. He has simulated what he has seen and guessed at the solution. His recreation is seriously flawed. His approach is duplicating what he thinks the mechanics of the effect are without the audience eye to consider, whereas when I created this, it was driven by audience perception, the invention was needed to get it done.
---------------
The concept of this was very satisfying. The original was so amazing, as I stared in the mirror seeing my own hand separated from my wrist. Then came the tweaking to make the effect audience worthy.
-------------
I am still tweaking the effect to this day (after 34 years). I must say, that even I had a serious flaw until last years batch of boxes.
------------
I have many defenders on my side. Jeff McBride, upon seeing a reproduction, laced into the copy artist and embarrassed him at a convention on my behalf.
------------
A single theft still hurts, its the International copies that steal my commerce.
---------------------
The biggest theft was the protoype. I was very foolish to show this at a Tannens convention in 1979. I held a spectators wrist and sliced it off without a box, just a white glove holding the wrist. That version was too gory to do as an illusion, so I made it more controllable and less graphic as a box. That didn't stop the theft which became the version sold in novelty stores.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Magic Ians Little Slice of Hand is a cool effect, I use it every Halloween. It is a true miracle that never ceases to amaze, very 'dis arming', excuse the pun! I like the fact the box is small and innocent looking, great concept Ian. Chuck Caputo
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I got this item from a magic shop for much less than I could make it. It was on sale for 30.00.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Ralis
View Profile
New user
Horrorwood
81 Posts

Profile of Ralis
Am I the only freak that wants the gory version that only used a white glove?
I won't just scare you
I'll F@#$ you up for life!
Ralis
www.ralisfx.com
www.deadbyday.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 06:15, Ralis wrote:
Am I the only freak that wants the gory version that only used a white glove?

Well, if you are (although I kind of doubt it), then you'll have a unique act. I suspect that many of the performers want the more "cartoon" slant to the illusion. Gore is a specialized field, for certain performers entertaining certain audiences. I find it appealing for those reasons, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup o' tea.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I am confused any layman I have witnessed view this effect has seen it as nothing more than a gag, a funny one & entertaining one (which I quite like) but still just a gag. To believe it is a deceptive illusion I believe we are just fooling ourselves.
Ralis
View Profile
New user
Horrorwood
81 Posts

Profile of Ralis
Hi Michael! I like you already Smile I am a unique performer for select audiences and I use the term unique to cover many bases and my butt.

http://youtu.be/pGRHXTY-ylc
I won't just scare you
I'll F@#$ you up for life!
Ralis
www.ralisfx.com
www.deadbyday.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-06-12 02:22, Ralis wrote:
Hi Michael! I like you already Smile I am a unique performer for select audiences and I use the term unique to cover many bases and my butt.

http://youtu.be/pGRHXTY-ylc

I checked the link and your websites. I'm impressed! Is that your band?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 17:59, tboehnlein wrote:
I am confused any layman I have witnessed view this effect has seen it as nothing more than a gag, a funny one & entertaining one (which I quite like) but still just a gag. To believe it is a deceptive illusion I believe we are just fooling ourselves.

If it is perceived as a gag, it was presented as a gag. To really freak out an audience into believing it is real is a matter of setting them up with combinations of illusions, such as starting out with a nail through finger (which they seldom believe), followed by the needle through arm (which begins to add belief), and follow this with a really gory amputation of the hand with lots of blood. When you meet with members of the audience after the show, make sure you wear a set of glued-on stitches on all the parts of your body that you apparently severed. Live your art!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Little Slice of Hand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL