The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » What is the "Expurgated" Edition of Greater Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3863 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
What, exactly, is the "expurgated" edition of Greater Magic, printed by Kaufmann?

Is it just a blank edition of the book?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
680 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Hilarious, mostly because the first hit is this very thread.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24003 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It is a version of Greater Magic in which most of the material has been (deleted).
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3863 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-10-16 22:52, Gordon wrote:
Hilarious, mostly because the first hit is this very thread.

We used to call those "Do Loops"...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2759 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I had never seen one, but, Jay Marshall (naturally!) had one, and handed it to me to "look at"!

It seems that Carl Jones, publisher, was "besieged" by his friends (not magicians) who wanted to buy a copy. Carl didn't want to expose magic to these non magicians, so he had a small number (IDK how many) printed with only the first chapter. The rest of the pages were blank!.

I had carte blanche admission to Jay's library. Talk about a "kid in a candy store with a nickel to apend"!

I also had carte blanche to Bob Lund's library. --It's nice to have friends!
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Anatole
After what--three years?--the mystery is solved at last. A tip of the top hat to Dick Oslund for the enlightenment!

Dick's explanation prompted me to do a search of "ask Alexander" and I found a column in the January 1962 issue of _Magical Review No, 1_ that says:
------quote-----
In the Spring of 1961 I submitted a "Collecting Thoughts" article to _MAGICOL NEWSLETTER_ editor Walter Gydesen on two editions of _GREATER MAGIC_ that had been added to my library. One was a two-volume edition and the second was an "expurgated" edition which I had mistakenly assumed to be a "publisher's dummy." Mr. Gydesen and Mr. Jay Marshall both pointed out my error that the "publisher's dummy" was actually one of a 50 volume run by the publisher of an "expurgated" edition. This proved to be true, for I had secured No. 41 of 50 volumes issued. The "expurgated" edition consisted of the 1938 First Edition in which the first twenty-five pages were printed and the balance of the volume was made up of blank pages. In all respects except the blank pages this "edition" matched the original first edition.
-----unquote-----

I wonder what motivated Carl Jones to print those special copies. Did he actually sell those copies to his non-magician friends? If so, what would be the going price if a collector wanted to buy one? Or was the expurgated edition a kind of practical joke?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In regard to my question of whether the edition of _Greater Magic_ with blank pages was a practical joke, I just found this definition of "publisher's dummy" at the website of the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers:
-----quote-----
Publisher's Dummy
Sample of a book usually bound with the title page and a few pages of text, and occasionally a representative illustration, with the rest of the pages blank, created in order to demonstrate what the finished book would look like. These were made, usually in very small numbers, for a number of purposes - for the publisher to see what the binding would look like, as samples for traveling book sellers or publisher's representatives who would have something tangible to show to customers or bookstore owners, etc. These are usually very uncommon, but not always very desirable, unless the book in question itself is collected.
-----unquote-----

So the "expurgated edition of _Greater Magic_" wasn't necessarily a practical joke, but apparently a standard publishing practice among publishers in general.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
2759 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Sonny! Thanks TWO million (inflation!) for the follow up!

Jay and I got into many discussions, and the "Greater Magic" discussion was very interesting to me. I'm happy that I was able to fill in a "blank line" in the "Greater Magid story".

Jay was a "prime source" for so much history. He was fortunate to "begin" where so much history was "being made" in magic, and he was wise enough to collect, not only "things" but stories about those who were making the history.

I can't remember ever bringing up the name of an east coast magician, that Jay didn't have an anecdote about. Egad! I just did another Charlie Miller!
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Speaking of _Greater Magic_...
I frequented a used bookstore at Ward's Corner in Norfolk, Virginia back in the 1970's and whenever I went in, I went straight to the used magic book section. One day I went in and saw a thick magic book on the shelf. It was _Greater Magic_! I opened it to look at the price: $2.95
No, I did not put the decimal in the wrong place! It was really two dollars and ninety-five cents! It had the dust jacket! And inside was a prospectus for the book!--an advertising brochure that described the contents! The book was in like new condition. So I grabbed the book right away and bought it!

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » What is the "Expurgated" Edition of Greater Magic? (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.081309 seconds, requiring 42 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [7] [6] [5] [8] [9] [9] [3]