The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Misers dream - too loud? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
houseofchuckles
View Profile
New user
Tracy
7 Posts

Profile of houseofchuckles
I have a Misers Dream Spittoon in my collection and I just put it up for sale. I am not sure where I got a hold of it but it is very unique.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
During the Great Depression of the 1930s. lots of "at liberty" magicians used wooden nickels!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2012, Daz Buckley wrote:
Well we hear about all sorts of problems on here, don't we ? I've never heard the complaint before, honestly.

G'day! Daz!
LA couple of years ago, a young college student wrote that coins falling into his bucket, while practicing the MD, in his dorm room, really was annoying to his room mate, who was trying to study!

One of the "VIPS" told the student to pad the inside of the bucket with a leather pad, and/or to hold the bucket "horzontally" to the floor! The VIP (a coin expert!) told him that the coins would only be falling a few inches, and, would "hit" the side of the pail!

I've been doing the MD since 1946, in, possibly 30,000 performances. I explained that, this procedure WOULD NOT "WORK"! The VIP CLAIMED that it would. I decided that he was being INVINCIBLE IGNORANT, and, I just left the thread. The student never responded, as far as I know.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2011, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Does it have to be a bucket? Or if so, would it be okay to take out your pocket square and drop that into the bucket before you drop in the first coin?

ANYTHING that draws unnecessary attention to the bucket, is IMO, detrimental to the SIMPLICITY of the EFFECT. When the hard bottom of hats in Houdin's day were no longer fashionable, some magicians, to obtain the aural illusion, would put a saucer into the hat. This, too, IMO, created an "artificial noise". The aural illusion is necessary, but, creating it in such an artificial way, is not good "magic".

Some may not agree with me. My mentors always stressed SIMPLICITY. My motto. for "EONS" has been: KIS MIF! (Keep It Simple. Make It Fun!)

Someone above mentioned using a cuspidor! IMO, this causes the "receptacle" to get more attention than the coins. Again, the MD, is a COIN trick, NOT A RECEPTACLE TRICK!!!!

Tommy DOWNS stressed that the ENTERTAINMENT IS IN THE PRODUCTION OF COINS FROM THE NOSE, EARS, HAIR, etc. of members of the audience. --In modern times, CHILDREN'S ears, nose, hair, etc.

Some magicians present the MD, as a "demonstration" of manipulative skill. MANIPULATION IMHO, IS JUGGLING!

In 1950, at the IBM/SAM convention, the late Geoffrey Buckingham, did the MD. IIRC, he "produced" a half dozen (possibly more) coins from a back palm. It was TECHNICALLY, a great demonstration of dexterity. The magicians applauded with enthusiasm. The "public" applauded, POLITELY.

Anyone who has seen my old friend, the late Al Flosso, do the MD, has been ENTERTAINED. (My MD, aint too bad, either.)

"Magic" is NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!)
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On May 26, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2011, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Does it have to be a bucket? Or if so, would it be okay to take out your pocket square and drop that into the bucket before you drop in the first coin?

ANYTHING that draws unnecessary attention to the bucket, is IMO, detrimental to the SIMPLICITY of the EFFECT. When the hard bottom of hats in Houdin's day were no longer fashionable, some magicians, to obtain the aural illusion, would put a saucer into the hat. This, too, IMO, created an "artificial noise". The aural illusion is necessary, but, creating it in such an artificial way, is not good "magic".

Some may not agree with me. My mentors always stressed SIMPLICITY. My motto. for "EONS" has been: KIS MIF! (Keep It Simple. Make It Fun!)

Someone above mentioned using a cuspidor! IMO, this causes the "receptacle" to get more attention than the coins. Again, the MD, is a COIN trick, NOT A RECEPTACLE TRICK!!!!

Tommy DOWNS stressed that the ENTERTAINMENT IS IN THE PRODUCTION OF COINS FROM THE NOSE, EARS, HAIR, etc. of members of the audience. --In modern times, CHILDREN'S ears, nose, hair, etc.

Some magicians present the MD, as a "demonstration" of manipulative skill. MANIPULATION IMHO, IS JUGGLING!

In 1950, at the IBM/SAM convention, the late Geoffrey Buckingham, did the MD. IIRC, he "produced" a half dozen (possibly more) coins from a back palm. It was TECHNICALLY, a great demonstration of dexterity. The magicians applauded with enthusiasm. The "public" applauded, POLITELY.

Anyone who has seen my old friend, the late Al Flosso, do the MD, has been ENTERTAINED. (My MD, aint too bad, either.)

"Magic" is NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!)

Would love to see your entire misers dream for kids. I'll bet it would be special and funny.
Tricky Ricky
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Ricky! (I wish that I had thought up 'Tricky Ricky'for a stage name, 60 years ago!!!!!)

The late Stuart Ross, my first mentor, gave me a handful of "Green River Whiskey" 1/2 $ size "coins", in 1946, and, I've been doing the MD, since!

It has CLOSED the show for many years. I can't follow it!!!!!

Duane Laflin, brought his video camera when he, and his lovely wife visited me at an elementary school in Montana, about 20 years ago, and the late Leo Haglund, visited, in an elementary school in Oregon, sometime in the '80s. Duane forgot his tripod, and, every time he laughed, he got a picture of the ceiling!

Both shows are on my dvd. They were taped in less than "studio conditions"! But, they do show the program with real kids!

I wrote up the routine, in DETAIL, in my book. It's utterly SIMPLE!
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
In small rooms, intimate settings, I use my loose fitting, casual trouser pockets for the effect. That is as simple and natural as it gets. I use Morgan dollars, which are quite jingly when falling into my pocket.

I guess in a noisy setting that this won't do. I mostly perform in small, casual settings for friends. It blows minds at the Post Office and casual places like that when I'm out. One needs to keep it short and sweet, but, if emphasis is placed on realistic, crisp productions, I know of few more fascinating effects.

Purists may say it's no longer the Miser's Dream with no bucket and no gimmick- but hey, it was originally done with just apparel and bare sleights. It's still the same effect to me, just on a smaller scale and pared down to an elegant simplicity.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That sounds clever, friend Hare. As far as I know, Robert Houdin used a gentleman'a top hat, not a bucket, and definitely no gimmick. Your concept with two pants pockets, would play nicely in a "small casual" situation for friends, but, I doubt that it would play from a platform or stage.

You would solve the OP's problem (too loud) but, again, I doubt that your presentation would play from a platform or stage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Misers dream - too loud? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL