The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best torn and restored cigarette paper I ever saw (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Curtis,

I have to disagree with you. While there are some minor differences as David stated, the handling is Leipzig's. And is great starting point to learning the routine and working out your own handling.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Mo--I'm not so sure the Leipzig handling, as described, is such a good starting point. In particular, the following passage is the culprit, and where I think the Ben and Hunter handlings have the advantage:

"We now come to a particularly subtle switch which is one of the high points of Leipzig's genius. The switch of the two balls can be made without a detection under the closest scrutiny, as a trial will prove."

What follows is Ganson's description of a miraculous move which, he assures us, will allow you to exchange one ball for another under the watchful and steady gaze of the audience. This is what intrigued me about this handling, especially coupled with Ganson's assurance that it appeared to the audience that the ball never leaves the spectatot's sight. Note that in this description, (from the "Tribute to Leipzig" book) this invisible switch occurs only after the torn pieces have been formed into a ball. That's not what's going on in the clip we're discussing. The changes are of timing and framing, and while one might modestly call these changes "minor", IMHO they make a big difference.

I should add that the approach Mr. Ben takes in this clip is by no means unique to him, but it does look very good in his hands.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
jrmagic
View Profile
New user
D.C.
21 Posts

Profile of jrmagic
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 10:39, vinsmagic wrote:
What about Martin Lewi's Tand R cig paper effect
this is also excellent

I second Martin Lewis routine called Undivided.
The_Great_Dubini
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of The_Great_Dubini
Doesn't Eugene Burger teach a version in Mastering The Art of MAgic?
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-09 15:00, ross welford wrote:
Are there better descriptions of this effect anywhere?

Al Koran provides a detailed method in his book 'Professional Presentations' (written by Hugh Miller). Al's presentation also goes into how the duplicate paper should be pleated to ensure that it opens out easily upon restoration. It's little nuances, such as this important point, that show how a true pro thinks.

Koran used to often commence his cabaret performances with this very trick - it ISN'T (as many would think) just for close-up. Upon restoration, he'd gently blow the paper up into the air; and as it fluttered down, so came the applause.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I saw the great David Ben performed that same routine on stage in Torontoin a theater
Wow! the audiance loved it --so did I.
Ricky
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I have been practicing few different routines now for a year but I havent performed once because I kinda feel that it suffers in too perfect theory in a sense that the one explanation that most people must think after experiencing it is the right one. In other words... How else?!? Anyone with real performing experience who could comment on this?

Juha-Matti
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Here is my favorite version performed in real time for a real spectator with a real reaction.

https://youtu.be/ZGgjjhdzWz0?t=1m48s
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I have to say it gets rid of all the hard work and evidence and plays well!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best torn and restored cigarette paper I ever saw (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL