The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Hull Card DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Before I order, (really who are we kidding, I'm going to order regardless) has anyone had a chance to view/review John Riggs new Hull Card DVD? I've been anticipating it and I'm waiting to finish this next gig before actually plunking the money down. If his past work is any indication, I'm sure it's great. But I just wanted confirmation from someone who might have checked it out already.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Yes, It is!
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Merci mille fois.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I don't have the DVD, but the principle is certainly one of the best for the purpose.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
This is John's best release, period. And I'm a fan of a lot of his work. I wasn't going to mention it on here because I didn't want the information getting out, but since you already started this thread, I decided I'd post.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 18:15, cpbartak wrote:
This is John's best release, period. And I'm a fan of a lot of his work. I wasn't going to mention it on here because I didn't want the information getting out, but since you already started this thread, I decided I'd post.

So, if someone has Burling Hull's book, and the compleate fortune teller, is there a lot of stuff on this DVD that they wouldn't already know?
Would this give you a significantly different perspective on the Hull card Q&A?

Thanks Smile
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
[quote]On 2012-01-08 16:45, seadog93 wrote:
Quote:
So, if someone has Burling Hull's book, and the compleate fortune teller, is there a lot of stuff on this DVD that they wouldn't already know?
Would this give you a significantly different perspective on the Hull card Q&A?

Thanks Smile

Yes there are
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Anyone interested in this topic might want to view a bit of history in the form of Orville Meyer's business card, a Hull-style design that can be seen here.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Very nice.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 14:43, ddyment wrote:
Anyone interested in this topic might want to view a bit of history in the form of Orville Meyer's business card, a Hull-style design that can be seen here.

doug - do you own a copy of john's new dvd?
I've asked to be banned
FocusYourMAYND
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of FocusYourMAYND
Dad and I filmed a live performance of Dad doing this act, and it fooled me. And I've known Dad all my life. I videotaped the act before we filmed the tutorial. He says it's the best thing he's ever released and he's very proud of it. Speaking for myself, the production quality is high-caliber. Dad insisted on the utmost quality in presentation. We stayed up for two days and nights on editing.

At least 3/4ths of the DVD is new material. Dad goes over the Bumbershoot move, as well as variations of it which he has never before discussed. He introduces new moves, such as an original sequence called "The Flurry," and many psychological ploys and throwoffs which utterly loses any skeptics in the audience. He also shows you how to get out of trouble in emergencies, something you only learn from experience.

At the beginning of the DVD he goes over the original Hull handlings--there were four major phases apparently, then discusses the evolution to the modern card.

Dad discusses the evolution and history of the "modern" Hull Card, which Dr. Charles "Cicardi" Scott, inventor of Psi-Grafico, redesigned. Cicardi introduced the off-center fold, and the black bar across the bottom, which visually cues the audience that the card is still folded. Orville Meyer, according to Dr. Scott, asked Dr. Scott if he cuold design his own card based on Dr. Scott's card and include it in his lecture before the Psychic Entertainer's Association. Dr. Scott agreed. Soon, according to Dr. Scott, everyone in the PEA had thier own version of Orville Meyer's card, which was actually Dr. Scott's card. Dr. Scott's contribution to the design seems to have been forgotten.

My Dad and Dr. Scott have discussed and performed the Hull card for over 25 years. My Dad has probably come up with more variations of the Hull card than anyone in mentalism, according to Dr. Scott and many others who have seen him work. As for the quality and originality of the DVD, my Dad has never released a DVD product or book he has been ashamed of. When he and Dr. Scott proposed the MASTERPIECES OF MENTALISM series, they decided these DVDs would discuss one superlative item of mentalism, of interest to performing professionals, that has withstood the only real test my Dad values: the acid test of being performed before a wide vaiety of audiences in every imaginable venue. As such, this DVD is of little value to the intellectually curious, or to the non-performer collecting information. However, to the working performer these items will be worth ten times the price. When my Dad and I were watching the performace, he said, "G--damn, I can't believe I'm giving this away."

$125 isn't that much money. Dad told me yesterday he's spent over $2000 on painting supplies for just one of his graduate painting classes.

Anyway, if you have any questions ask my Dad. He usually responds in a day or two. He's very busy with school but would still answer any questions about this DVD.

Jonathan
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Workers that are not presently using this method and wish to add Q & A to their act will find this offering Priceless, However to the merely curious hobbyist or armchair practitioner the aforementioned bargains will prove to be the wiser investment.

SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Mine arrived today - will be watching it on saturday, so I shall post an initial thoughts review on sunday...and then maybe you guys who have been working it in the USA can add their thoughts to it?

better than guessing, I say!
I've asked to be banned
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 17:38, IAIN wrote:
Mine arrived today - will be watching it on saturday, so I shall post an initial thoughts review on sunday...and then maybe you guys who have been working it in the USA can add their thoughts to it?

better than guessing, I say!

Picking up cards from the printer tommorow and the box will follow,
Will add my thoughts soon.
SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Thanks all, I ordered it shortly after posting and am hopefully getting it this weekend or early next week. Jonathan, it's always great to hear from someone on the inside of a project. Hope your dad enjoys his class.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Im watching my copy and I thanks John for putting this DVD on Theory 11.
10 dollars is a bargain for this material!
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 05:26, Amirá wrote:
Im watching my copy and I thanks John for putting this DVD on Theory 11.
10 dollars is a bargain for this material!

what you on about pablo?
I've asked to be banned
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Sorry, my mistake. It was Ellusionist...

Ok, bad jokes off.

This IS a gem of a DVD. Great information about this really simple and beautiful creation and a real live performance that shows good psychic entertainment and all the ideas on practice.
Also watching the performance with comments, explaining each finesse is a great addition.

Sell all your stuff, support John Riggs with this one and do yourself a favor.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
After reviewing the handling and a bit of rehersal, I used my Hull Cards for the first time last night at a dinner party for some 30 influential women.
I opted for a Black Box constructed as described on the DVD ($35.00 retail), and set it by itself on a small 13x13 Formica finished table that I had made to fit atop a microphone stand and it does look rather nice.
As expected the routine went over very well, and truthfully it was the only piece that needed to be performed.
The result being that one of the women was the owner of a fine restaurant in an area inhabited by the 1% (gotta love them rich folk) and she booked me to do a Dinner Theater in a few weeks.

SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
It's cool to experiment with different ways of getting information and I do enjoy learning as much as possible about options for methodology before choosing my own. I've used two of the most popular methods yet I've never seriously looked at the Hull card, maybe because I've never seen it in action. I want this DVD to see it done and, probably even better, to see John Riggs artfully give his answers. Answers make the show and I imagine watching John Riggs give his is a master class in Q&A showmanship. I like my current method, may like the Hull card better (who knows) but I just have to see John do his thing.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Hull Card DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL