The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Luna Performance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Well
I just googled the Wall Street journal article and this page came up within the first ten matches. Jeez guys! Stop using key words in your postings!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6568 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 01:46, Magicmike1949 wrote:
Well
I just googled the Wall Street journal article and this page came up within the first ten matches. Jeez guys! Stop using key words in your postings!

Figures. Ya can't stop it Mike. It's too big. The Internet I mean. Search engine companies are proud of the fact they get in.

It's a reality today, folks. I figure I have a choice. Live with it, or quit magic. I had decided to quit magic, and then I discovered The Bizarre. I figured I'd give it one more go. If L*n@ becomes compromised by Google/The Internet, that's it.

I will admit then I have been beaten, and retire it. Again, ya can't stop everyone from posting key words. A lot of them don't know any better. It never used to be an issue. We have new people joining all the time! How do you reach them? I can only suggest using the following codes:

0utl@w *ffects
L*n@
C0ln*y H@tch
P*@rly G@tes

Beyond that...guys, I have to admit we are helpless. It's the curse of the Internet! Smile

Doug
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
I have been a member here on the Café for a while now and seen several discussions on this problem of our beloved artifacts being compromised by search engines, and I have often wondered......Why don't the admins remedy this problem for the entire site by explicitly going against the rules of SEO? for example; loading the site down with metadata. thereby making it rank lower in search engine results. To me it seems quite logical. it helps to solve our dilemma, and I honestly believe that any one that SHOULD be here should know how to find the site and not have to google it anyway.
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Relax guys most times the only reason someone would google it is if you blew the trick or you tell them to. I have yet to have a spec out me with lun@ and I tell them to google it on their phone. if your doing it right they will know its real and not need proof.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1409 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I'm not going to be much help with this Google search problem, but I do know there is a way to block search engine "bots" from indexing your pages. I just can't for the life of me remember the details. I've been on a number of political forums in the past that didn't want their sites indexed, and if you are a web programmer, there are ways to do it. I'm a programmer, but I deal with medical software applications, not web sites, so I'm a little rusty on that subject.

But I know it takes someone who is a web programmer to add the right coding to the web site so the pages don't get indexed. Maybe if someone is a web designer on the Magic Café they could help the owners of this site out, maybe the owners would be up for having someone add that functionality to this site?
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
You guys can check it out but I don't believe it says CH on any of my Luna site pages.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 18:10, Al Desmond wrote:
I'm not going to be much help with this Google search problem, but I do know there is a way to block search engine "bots" from indexing your pages. I just can't for the life of me remember the details. I've been on a number of political forums in the past that didn't want their sites indexed, and if you are a web programmer, there are ways to do it. I'm a programmer, but I deal with medical software applications, not web sites, so I'm a little rusty on that subject.

But I know it takes someone who is a web programmer to add the right coding to the web site so the pages don't get indexed. Maybe if someone is a web designer on the Magic Café they could help the owners of this site out, maybe the owners would be up for having someone add that functionality to this site?

There's a few ways to stop a site being indexed, the two easiest are using a robots.txt file or this META tag on your web pages <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

Cheers,
Allan
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
The thing is the Café wants to appear on Google Smile
So encoding is the best solution IMO
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 11:15, OnTiltSoon wrote:

Using Allan's method above, the main pages can be indexed and the forum pages can contain the "robots no index" code. This would not stop people from finding the site, but it would prevent each and every forum being indexed.

The flip side is this would take some time, making sure that each page rendered (except the main page and forum index) has the "no index" command included on the page coding.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 09:33, Allan Kardek wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 18:10, Al Desmond wrote:

There's a few ways to stop a site being indexed, the two easiest are using a robots.txt file or this META tag on your web pages <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

Cheers,
Allan

Yep... that's it. Now that you jogged my memory, I remember that now. Thanks.
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 11:25, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:

Using Allan's method above, the main pages can be indexed and the forum pages can contain the "robots no index" code. This would not stop people from finding the site, but it would prevent each and every forum being indexed.

The flip side is this would take some time, making sure that each page rendered (except the main page and forum index) has the "no index" command included on the page coding.

The thing is that if google does not index all the pages the number of keywords that you will make you land on the café is drasticly reduced.
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6568 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:

Correct. It's all about money. I have no problem with making money. One has to draw the line somewhere. Now we have Bing. A more sophisticated search engine. And, as time passes, technology advances by leaps and bounds!

Really (and I hate to say this), the Café is history. Eventually, for me anyway. I don't know about you guys. Not totally. Just in discussing 0utl@w Eff*ects, L*n@, and other sensitive effects. However, the damage has been done.

You have to realize how MUCH has been posted about these. A search engine will find them. So, while we privately talk in the 0utl@w Forum, there will always be discussion here. Again, we're beaten.

So, I will press on as if nothing was wrong. Stressing over it is unnecessary.

Doug
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
If this forum software is what I think it is, there should be a word censor module. You enter the word that needs to be censored and you can enter a replacement word. Maybe Mr. Brooks could add this feature for their advertisers if requested. Just a thought to help with this issue..

Cheers,
Allan
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Guys have been preforming Luna for years. A very small percent of people are running home to google it Smile

Any trick can be searched if someone wants to.

Just live in the moment and give them a thrill, that's what we do, mystify and entertain.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5313 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 16:34, Roth wrote:
Guys have been preforming Luna for years. A very small percent of people are running home to google it Smile

Just live in the moment and give them a thrill, that's what we do, mystify and entertain.

Agreed !
If everyone learns about Lun@,and googles her...We will have to get Rick,to create something new,to start this craziness, all over again! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 16:41, Godzilla wrote:
Quote:

Agreed !
If everyone learns about Lun@,and googles her...We will have to get Rick,to create something new,to start this craziness, all over again! Smile

Nooooo!!! I have no money left!! Smile
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6568 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Me neither! I am completely, utterly broke! Smile

Doug
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 14:44, Dougini wrote:
Quote:

Correct. It's all about money. I have no problem with making money. One has to draw the line somewhere. Now we have Bing. A more sophisticated search engine. And, as time passes, technology advances by leaps and bounds!

Really (and I hate to say this), the Café is history. Eventually, for me anyway. I don't know about you guys. Not totally. Just in discussing 0utl@w Eff*ects, L*n@, and other sensitive effects. However, the damage has been done.

You have to realize how MUCH has been posted about these. A search engine will find them. So, while we privately talk in the 0utl@w Forum, there will always be discussion here. Again, we're beaten.

So, I will press on as if nothing was wrong. Stressing over it is unnecessary.

Doug

Doug,

I wouldn't stress over the fact that the search engine picks this site up. I really don't think most people will run home and Google anything. It has to be a really small percentage that would even think about it. Let's hope that we all do such a great job in our presentation that they need a few stiff drinks afterwards and will not even remember the spelling.

I, for one, am thankful that Google picks up this site. The native search on this forum is so fricking bad that I would have never came across these cool products.

With all of its faults, The Magic Café is still an awesome resource. If we just remind people to be careful and do our part, that's the best we can do.

BTW, I did try to search on C0ln3y h@tch (spelled correctly) on Bing and Google and it never came up in the first several pages. I'm somewhat of an expert on search technology (my real job title was "Search Analyst" until recently). The one thing that may make you feel better is that 99% of the general population are horrible searchers. They try a search once and if they don't find in in the first few results they quit. I have a list called Wendt's Axioms of Search.

Axiom #8 Users will expend minimal energy foraging for information.

So we've got that behavior on our side!

Tim
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2012-10-26 13:47, Dougini wrote:
Me neither! I am completely, utterly broke! Smile

Doug

I'm almost there myself. I just placed a huge order from Outl@w last night! (Well, huge for me!). I do have a little budget left that I'm saving for the next big thing from Outl@w. Got myself a LVn@ CE, PG and the H0bb$ b0chs as well as the J1nn B0chs, $hutterbVg and a several other goodies. So I'm patiently waiting by my mailbox for the good stuff to arrive.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:

Agree completely, particularly since I'm all for a society that ultimately relies on critical thinking, leaving ghosts and other supernatural explanations to entertainment.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Luna Performance? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL