The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » A first look at Mental Masterpieces: Hull - John Riggs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/Masterpieces.html

One dvd, and a bunch of pdfs for printing, reading and so forth...oh and an outline of the Volta supper club reading.

What's on it:
There's a history of the move involved (credited properly), as well as many, MANY alternatives that can be used...and a way of using these methods for a graphology based presentation (for close-up) too.

here's a well written explanation, pinched from FocusYourMAYND - who commented in the other thread.

"FocusYourMAYND
At least 3/4ths of the DVD is new material. Dad goes over the Bumbershoot move, as well as variations of it which he has never before discussed. He introduces new moves, such as an original sequence called "The Flurry," and many psychological ploys and throwoffs which utterly loses any skeptics in the audience. He also shows you how to get out of trouble in emergencies, something you only learn from experience.

At the beginning of the DVD he goes over the original Hull handlings--there were four major phases apparently, then discusses the evolution to the modern card.

Dad discusses the evolution and history of the "modern" Hull Card, which Dr. Charles "Cicardi" Scott, inventor of Psi-Grafico, redesigned. Cicardi introduced the off-center fold, and the black bar across the bottom, which visually cues the audience that the card is still folded. Orville Meyer, according to Dr. Scott, asked Dr. Scott if he cuold design his own card based on Dr. Scott's card and include it in his lecture before the Psychic Entertainer's Association. Dr. Scott agreed. Soon, according to Dr. Scott, everyone in the PEA had thier own version of Orville Meyer's card, which was actually Dr. Scott's card. Dr. Scott's contribution to the design seems to have been forgotten."

This is a very clean and straight forward Q&A. All the detritus and over the top proving has been cleared away.

What does it look like? Simple. The mentalist puts his hand in the box, takes a card, calls out the initials and then answers the question that has been asked. The card can be returned and verified to each participant.

Each step is nicely broken down into clear and concise detail. Its around an hours worth of instruction, then you have the entire live performance to watch. And then again with probably the funniest commentary from mr. riggs and son ever. A mixture of john explaining what he's doing and when - as well as rather amusing comments throughout.

There's tips on what to do if your mind suddenly goes blank, a great, great set up/method - for doing a rapid fire/flurry of answers which looks wonderful.

It also features Andy Warhol and a walrus.

A superb, simple and beautifully constructed piece of mentalism.
I've asked to be banned
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
This one gets 5 out of 5 mackerel for sure.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
My copy arrive in the mail today.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Seems like a wise investment...
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you want a clean looking, logical Q&A - this'll more than pay for itself after one performance...a wise investment in my opinion...
I've asked to be banned
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
After viewing the DVD this weekend, I have nothing but great things to say about the project. It does really appear to be a very clean version of the Q&A act. He offers great advice, but going back through John's "The Further Adventures of the Complete Fortune Teller" he makes an excellent point (one of several) that "The Q&A act is one that many can do, but only a few can do well." I consider this a fantastic investment and want to send a personal thank you to John and Jonathan for putting this out there. It's great to see the act performed in a real environment (it appears it is a holiday banquet for a business). I hope to see an expansion of the series, and I'm glad I got a part of this while it is available.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
It's John's so get it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » A first look at Mental Masterpieces: Hull - John Riggs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL