The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Top secret video of M. Baker in his shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Michael, saw this and immediately thought of you: http://www.wimp.com/woodenlampshade/

Gotta say, the dude knows how to keep an edge!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
LOL!! I'll admit, that was freakin' AMAZING!!! I'll have to send that to a friend of mine who has been making some hollow turnings.

How'd you like that set of calipers? Those things could double as ice tongs!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That is quite beautiful. Any idea on the total turning time?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I know, right? They were only opened about halfway as it was! I wonder what else he's used to making. Just how big do those tree stumps get where he's from? LOL
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
That just makes me cringe seeing that big spinning hunk of wood.30 years ago I had a big piece about 1/2 that size come loose and whack my fingers. I have never had any desire to work on a lath since. Worst woodworking injery I have had, Terified of the tool.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-02-26 14:58, gimpy2 wrote:
That just makes me cringe seeing that big spinning hunk of wood.30 years ago I had a big piece about 1/2 that size come loose and whack my fingers. I have never had any desire to work on a lath since. Worst woodworking injery I have had, Terified of the tool.

Ahhh, where's your spirit?? The first thing I ever turned on a lathe was a 6" production cannonball. It broke loose and went flying past my head at a gazillion miles an hour. I said, "Now I know what it feels like to be a pirate!"

Then, I said "ARRRR!!!", fed the parrot, scored some booty, and chucked her back up again! Ha!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
Very impressive turning. makes me wish for a bigger lathe.
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The biggest lathe I ever saw was when I lived in Birmingham. A guy was turning columns for the front of a house. These things had to be at least 12-15 feet long and more than a foot in diameter. I guess the most interesting part for me is that these people are related to Howard Thurston. I had the pleasure of seeing items from their collection, both at the shop and in their home.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Seems to me to be a pretty humungous waste of wood.. and he could have swept the shavings up at his fee half way through.. there's not a moment in that video that didn't seem dangerous.... but to have that many shavings under your feet is just begging to slip.

Doesn't he know there are VENEERS for that sort of thing? I appreciate the skill and challenges of a project like that.. but WOW.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:

They looked like something straight out of a new Steinmeyer illusion!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-02-28 11:48, freefallillusion1 wrote:
Quote:

They looked like something straight out of a new Steinmeyer illusion!

Ha-ha!! That's really what I was thinking, but I was hoping to find a photo example to show.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Wow. I thought I made nice bowls. Makeupguy, you have to appreciate the sheer determination just to get a lampshade. Great Video.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I appreciate the talent.. and the determination.. I'm just a bit of a tree hugger.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-02-28 22:21, makeupguy wrote:
I appreciate the talent.. and the determination.. I'm just a bit of a tree hugger.

Judging what I know about wood turners, most are very conscious of responsible management of forests. Most of the hobbyists are also cheap and will salvage wood long before cutting down a tree to supply their stock. Judging from the size of that chunk, I'd bet it was a cut-off from a downed tree. I know plenty of guys who can find stuff like this on their own property, or would stop by any place where a tree is being cut up after storm damage, or felled because of safety reasons.

As far as it being a waste of wood, it was probably made more useful than if it had been hauled off to become landfill. The wood shavings on the floor are typically not slippery, but can cushion the floor and prevent fatigue, which is probably responsible for far more shop accidents. It also makes good mulch for gardens, or animal bedding, which are just other ways of re-purposing the wood as something useful.

Think of it the same way that the Native Americans regarded the bison. Those who respect it the most, will use it responsibly, and are the real conservators.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Gotta sent that to Norm at This Old House
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I just wonder how long the lampshade will last with the lightbulb inside. Seems to me it would dry and crack fairly quickly. I know I won't be turning a lampshade any time soon. It wan neat to watch however.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I gotta agree with makeupguy, a huge waste. Even if he'd used a few hole saws and cut out loads of chunks to make other projects from....
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I can only see this as a perceptual difference. I've lived in places where trees must be planted in order to even see them, and other places where they must be cut down in order to see your hand in front of your face. It's hardly a waste if it's just one more log in his yard.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! But that's amazing! Overkill, but still amazing. Makes me wish for a lathe.

-Leo
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
The turner is Soren Berger and he is Master Craftsman. If I'm correct he lives near Christchurch , NZ
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Top secret video of M. Baker in his shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL