The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fake Tarot and Palm Readers - Interesting worldwide (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..14~15~16 [Next]
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Been away for a week. Thought these kind of threads had kind of finished for ever.

Guess some things never change.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 12:17, kinesis wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 09:48, visionquest wrote:

The vast majority of psychic readers have no access to literature which is published for magicians only.

I just went on to a well known online magic book store and was able to access 31 books and pdfs on cold reading. I had the potential to purchase these without question. What is stopping a psychic doing the same?

Nothing. Except you're assuming that they 1) know about that site or 2) would bother doing a web search for something that doesn't interest them because they have the explicit desire to rip people off.
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 09:48, visionquest wrote:
And a note to Kinesis. A good psychic NEVER responds to challenges. They are too busy looking for their lost keys. And his question should be addressed to a psychic medium rather than a private reader.

No, a good (as in "effective") FAKE psychic NEVER responds to challenges.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Dmkraig

I think what kinesis was pointing out is that anyone "can" have access to those publications. I thought the same thing when I read visionquest's comment about "having no access".

Tony
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Cheers Tony
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-03-11 19:04, Davit Sicseek wrote:
I didn't major in philosophy. My training comes from an inquisitive mind - oh and the Royal Institute of Philosophy.

Too funny. You've basically just repeated yourself. I stand by what I said. I find it amazing that your a philosophy major and yet phrased your arguments in the manner that you did. Sloppy to say the least - or was it deliberate abuse of logic? You know full well that I can't conclusively prove the absence of ghosts. Heads you win, tails you win eh? Very Schopenhaueresque of you. And now you have the nerve to rephrase it in terms of proven/unproven!? Very poor form.

I repeat my previous statement - How much investigation should one do into ghosts before concluding that there is such flimsy evidence for their existence that one should live life as if they don't? I for one don't have the time for endless investigations every-time some woo-woo man claims he felt a ghostly presence. If there is EVIDENCE - lets see it, lets debate. If its just a "feeling" - lets not bother.

Please note that there is not ONE explicit response. If someone says, "XYZ" and the criticism is "Nope," as the criticism is here, it shows a total failure to do anything in a last-ditch attempt to support one's person fundamentalist religious beliefs.

A religious fundamentalist might say, "I don't care how much evidence you have to support your position, I know what is true!" This is exactly what happened here with the "argument" of "I stand by what I said," refuting not one word of what I posted.

:You say you don't have time for "endless investigations." This, again, is typical of a person who has not argument. You want to commit the error of generalizing from the specific. Your logic is, "if I prove X, Y, and Z are fake, then since they are examples of something, that something must also be fake.

Similarly, if three people perform "Twisting the Aces" using gaffed cards, obviously the only way to do the trick is with gaffed card. Well, tell that to Vernon!

This moving to the general from the specific without justification is typical of fundamentalist religionists. If something shows that one event in the Bible may have actually occurred, then the entire Bible must be true!

Sorry. As much as you want that to be true, it's not.

There is no need for your MacGuffin of "endless investigation." One only needs to explore one phenomenon until it is proven to be real or not. It's called "The scientific method." Does that prove anything else? Nope. Do you want it to prove anything else, such as a generalized support or denunciation? That's what fundamentalist religionists do. And that appears to be what you want.

You wrote, " How much investigation should one do into ghosts...." which assumes that ALL ghosts are the same. You might also ask "How much investigation should one do into cancer" because, after all, IT HAS THE SAME NAME! Therefore, all cancers are the same. The treatment for prostate cancer should be the same as for leukemia, and if it isn't then it's all a fraud!

Other tricks of the debunkers/pseudo-skeptics
1) Demand evidence without saying what you'll accept as evidence
2) Ignore arguments that don't fit into your dogmatic model of the universe
3) Use generalizations instead of specifics
4) Move the goalposts

But perhaps most importantly, the refusal to answer one simple question: Who the heck are you? Why should ANYONE waste their time proving anything to you since you've already made up your mind anyway? And if I spent my time proving to you that yes, indeed, ghosts (or some other paranormal phenomena) exist, what will you do? Will you say publicly admit you were 100% wrong and spend one hour a day going to every website, newspaper, magazine, and other form of communication telling people that you were a dogmatic fool and that, indeed, some paranormal property is real? Of course not. Virtually every pseudo-skeptic thinks that the world spins around them and they DESERVE to have others prove something to them even though they don't care about it at all.

Oh, you just don't want people to get ripped off? How about spending one hour a day helping out a charity? You'll be doing a lot more to help the world than trying to have someone waste their time trying to disprove your limiting beliefs.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
Actually even a good genuine shut-eye psychic would never respond to challenges. In fact I have seen them become quite aggressive and irritable when it happens. I do agree, however, that no psychic will go looking for magic sites with books on cold reading when they have literally hundreds of books available online and in bookshops which tell them how to do it without trickery of any kind.

I stated previously that I did not think Sally Morgan would be daft enough to use an earpiece a la Peter Popoff. Alas, I am now convinced otherwise after seeing a video clip. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Doris Stokes, Sylvia Browne and the rest of that ungodly bunch would never show such a lack of astuteness. I am quite surprised at the stupidity of that kind of thing.

Here is the videoclip in question. Interestingly enough I have been interviewed by Joe Duffy myself. I remember him being very aggressive and sceptical indeed. It was on Friday 13th. I remember him bringing a ladder into the studio and deliberately walking under it to show his defiance of superstition. And it was a radio show! The viewers couldn't even see him walking under the ladder but he insisted on doing it anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQF-NR6h8M
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I love Mr. Vision Quest's input here! He reflects what I've observed over the last 10 years. What He Said!! If you would ask the best Psychics about the books we all have been exposed to, they'd say... WHAT?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
They'd say... WHAT?
Who's the Psychic here? How did you know I had them on my book shelf!! Smile

Bit of fun Slim to ease us gently into Monday evening, this side of the pond.......
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Visionquest-

I already PMed you here BEFORE you stated that you can't get in touch with me. (Also, note that I don't use my website to book shows. My bookings are strictly referrals and agent sourced.)

Good thoughts,

Bob
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 16:18, innercirclewannabe wrote:
They'd say... WHAT?
Who's the Psychic here? How did you know I had them on my book shelf!! Smile

Bit of fun Slim to ease us gently into Monday evening, this side of the pond.......

About ready to mix a Rum and diet with my Alchemical Perscription myself.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
Bob. I have faith in your psychic ability. Please confirm your great talent by sending me a private e-mail. Use your gut feeling to find me. I never look at private messages on the magic Café. I am superstitious that way. I shall give you a clue. I live in Edinburgh and can be contacted at scottishsoldier@gmail.com
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 16:43, visionquest wrote:
Bob. I have faith in your psychic ability. Please confirm your great talent by sending me a private e-mail. Use your gut feeling to find me. I never look at private messages on the magic Café. I am superstitious that way. I shall give you a clue. I live in Edinburgh and can be contacted at scottishsoldier@gmail.com

Please use your vision and answer Bob Cassidy as soon as he emails you. If you don't, he will fill up your inbox looking for a reply! Some people get very superstitious when their inbox is full!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Just found this on my laptop tucked away in an old corner....COSMIC !!!

THE TRUE DISBELIEVERS:
Mars Effect Drives Skeptics to Irrationality
Richard Kammann
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
Here is my answer. Ian. I am in the business. You are not. I know what this stuff is about. You don't. Simple as that.

Thank you for the apology that you also posted, although there was really no need. From the rather terse nature of your reply, it would seem I have inadvertently annoyed you in some way. I am sorry if that's the case. I was genuinely curious as to whether you had any data to back up what seemed like a very strong assertion. I wondered if your '85%' figure was a meaningful statistic, actually derived from some good data, or mere conjecture on your part - albeit conjecture based on plenty of experience. That's all. It seems clear from your reply that no, you don't have any actual data to back up your assertion, and this is what I thought was worth clarifying. Thank you for taking the time to do so.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
Ian. You have not annoyed me. I am afraid you have misjudged me. Perhaps you need to read a good book on cold reading to develop your skill in these matters.
As for "data" I hardly need any. After all, I am psychic and know these things.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Visionquest-

Well if you can't be bothered to read your private messages, I can't help you. I sent you a PM. Read it or not as you wish. I don't send emails to people I don't know.

You know me because I sign my name to my posts.

Bob
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 18:16, visionquest wrote:
Ian. You have not annoyed me.

I am pleased to hear it! Peace.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Through the misty fog of my third-eye...i am seeing a small scotsman who used to write horoscopes for an irish newspaper...after he gave it up, he told the editor to just use the old ones and mix them around a little...

does that make sense to you, visionquest?
I've asked to be banned
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 18:49, IAIN wrote:
Through the misty fog of my third-eye...i am seeing a small scotsman who used to write horoscopes for an irish newspaper...after he gave it up, he told the editor to just use the old ones and mix them around a little...

does that make sense to you, visionquest?

I was picking up the same impressions (see my post a little earlier about a Canadian flag and the initials ML). Verily our gift is strong my friend.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 18:52, Voodini wrote:
I was picking up the same impressions (see my post a little earlier about a Canadian flag and the initials ML). Verily our gift is strong my friend.

will the demon be caste out once again I wonder...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fake Tarot and Palm Readers - Interesting worldwide (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL