The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Beginning 3 Fly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Hi Guys, I'd like to start learning a 3 Fly routine, but don't know where to begin. Most of the time I thoroughly reseach a routine, finding all the resources I can, then attempt ALL of them for various insights and what fits my style. This immersion seems to fit my learning style and usually leads to a hybrid (i.e. my own unique routine).

With 3 Fly, there are SO many ideas on handling, I'd like to know what routine YOU consider easiest to start with, then progressing to other ideas.

I'm begining / intermediate level with my sleights and own many books and DVDs that teach 3 Fly in various ways. And I own most trick coins; various Split Coins, SS, flippers, Siamese Coins; that are sometimes suggested. I do NOT own any of the very expensive sets often cited for this routine.

I'm excited about hearing your suggestions and think they would be valuable for many of fellow coin magi here.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Atom, though I have a version of 3 Fly, I simply call "My Fly," I would point you to start at the very beginning with Chris Kenner's initial offering of this trick. It was called "Menage et Trois." It is an gaffless handling that I still believe is the best way to do it and clearly the cheapest way. Smile It takes a little practice but you can do it. Smile Once you get the basic moves down, repetition smooths it out in time and begins to open your eyes to greater possibilities as to it. It's a great exercise to learn from.

There are many other versions that use gaff coins as well, some of them really nice and quite creative but before doing all that, might as well learn the nuts & bolts of where it all comes from, then who knows, you might not even have to go there. Smile Always good to begin at the beginning. Smile

Kenner covers his 3 Fly in his book, "Totally Out of Control" and perhaps on dvd somewhere as well. Smile You should be able to track this handling down pretty quickly one way or another. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Thanks for that info!

I got Eric Jones' Metal DVD and I like his 'simplex 3 fly', though it reminds me of getting herpes. That is currently the only one I Have practiced though.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have a One touch 3 fly useing just a shell Coin! It's in my Las Vegas Notes ! Smile Thanks!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
lukecloughmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of lukecloughmagic
Heres Mb's grandpa coins video, absolutely stunning and gaff free too! hope you get something from it. Mb has been a massive help with advising me in my journey into coin magic too Smile
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Atom, From all the no-gadget 3 Fly routines that I have learned, practiced and performed, I recommend MB's Grandpa Coins and his newest "My Fly" for its originality. In the classic 3 Fly plot the coins just fly from hand to hand; in MB’ routine, which I am learning now, the coins don’t just fly from hand to hand, they also multiply, fly and turn back to their original state.
You will also learn very clever and practical moves not found in other routines of this type.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
This is the trick coin section, so it seems you're interested in gimmicked versions. There are a number of variations using only a shell which aren't that difficult and play very well.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Nicholas, I'm interested in both sleights and gimmicked versions. I posted here because I find that 3 Fly is most oftened mentioned in this section.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Troy Hooser's Destroyer's book has some cool handlings.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
SPONGE KONG
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of SPONGE KONG
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 13:31, cablerock wrote:
Thanks for that info!

I got Eric Jones' Metal DVD and I like his 'simplex 3 fly', though it reminds me of getting herpes. That is currently the only one I Have practiced though.
Simplex 3 fly is great!
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I have to agree...Simplex 3 fly, minus the name is a great effect...even just watching myself do it in a mirror fools me...its easy, its quick, very direct, and makes sense...I know its not a gimmicked version that is very clean, but it still looks really good!
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
For gimmicked 3 Fly version, Bob kohler Ultimate 3 FLy and B'Fly by the super nice Rannie from Manila are in the top of my list. For this 3 Fly version I developed a technique to make the required gimmick for performing this effect.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Daryl put out a 3 fly routine w/ DVD. Great teacher and simple
Routine. Ungimmiced. Also gives you 4 different colored chips to practice with and follow along with the DVD.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I mostly do one of the following: Eric Jones's "Spectator Visible Coins Across" from his Mirage Et Trois DVD; Troy Hooser's "Coins Across" with a shell and in the spectator's hand; Lee Asher's "Three Stylin'" with poker chips; and MB's My Fly. Not all necessarily meet the "3-Fly" specs, but I am including coins across routines.

A few more I have done though less frequently: David Roth's "Winged Silver"; David Regal's "Trans-Locations".

Jim
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I also believe Eric Jones Three Fly routine Simplex is a great place to start.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
There is a three fly effect put out by every major performer. Some years ago, Dan Watkins put out a list of the effects put out up until that time. some weere gimmicked, many were not. R Paul Wilson had a great routine called Crowded Coins, that used an extra coin, no gaffs. Darryl's routine was very popular, and also non gimmicked. My own Retro Fly (on the NYCMS DVD vol 1 on coins across, was also non gaffed, and ended clean. Eric Jones used to use it before he developed his own routine. On that same volume one by the way are three fly routines by Kainoa habottle and Geoff Latta. Latta's Trick with Three Coins is a great routine that incrporates Three Fly as one of its phases. And let's not forget Gary Kurtz, with a routine that can arguably be called the first three fly, that I believe predates Kenner. Jonathan Townsend published a version of his own routine that started the craze in Genii. We have a nice table discussion of three fly on the NYCMS volume 1 as well.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
As an aside, on the Coinvention DVD from 2003, thre is a table discussion that is very interesting where Chris Kenner talks at length about his own contribution to the effect.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea And also on the Coinvention Round table I performed My International One touch Three fly!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Rampage
View Profile
New user
Florida
62 Posts

Profile of Rampage
Eric Jones teaches a great 3 fly on his Metal DVD not sure which one it's on but I use it all the time.
Kennard
View Profile
New user
Singapore
60 Posts

Profile of Kennard
Have you tried Sanchez fly by David Gabbay? It's an easy and clean looking routine with a shell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Beginning 3 Fly (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL