The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Springing the Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JMagi
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JMagi
Hello all. I am new to this forum and pretty new to magic. I have a question about what is commonly referred to as "springing the cards."

I have read about it in a few different places, and I understand the basic technique of bending the cards inward so that they will slip out, but I was wondering: Is there any secret to this? Do you hold the right hand an inch away from the left and still have the cards fly onto the ground over and over and eventually they'll get more control? What is the difference between springing the cards becoming the all-popular flourish: 52 card pickup and a nice clean spring?

Thanks in advance,
JMagi
Anthony
View Profile
New user
NYC
56 Posts

Profile of Anthony
When I learned it, I kept on springing the cards at a very short distance, probably at best a couple inches. I did this until I could spring the cards out at a consistent rate. After that, it's just more practice to increase the distance of your hands. I hope this is of some help.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
-- Albert Einstein
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
I learned it by first holding my left hand a bit under my right and quite near my stomach. Your body then helps keep the cards in order until you get more control. You should always let the cards escape from one side only; I always release them from my thumb. With practice it comes.
Earl
View Profile
New user
Paris
17 Posts

Profile of Earl
As others explained, it's really a question of practice. At the beginning, you'll make cards to go everywhere except in your left hand but after some hours of tries, they will finally go where you want them to go!

You first release the cards with the right thumb, targeting the middle of your left hand, wide open. You may also control the cards with your left little finger (maybe it's not the best way to do it but it works) Smile

It should be also easier to begin with half a deck rather with a full deck, harder to bend.

Finally, you'll be able to find a description of this flourish in many books (RRTCM, CC, etc.) or vids, for example in The Exciting World of Magic DVD from M. Ammar.

Good luck!

Earl.
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
When I first learned how to spring a deck of cards I went out and bought a deck of Bee playing cards. I noticed they were a lot more flexible then Bicycles or Aviators and it made it a lot easier. Start out by keeping your left hand close to the deck while your springing the cards and when you start to get comfortable with that start moving your left hand a little lower. Before you know it you'll be doing it everytime you pick up a deck. It can become a fancy habbit. Smile
JMagi
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JMagi
Ok, thanks all.

Oh, I do have another question about this. After the cards are "sprung," are they supposed to be bent enough that they have to be bent back to their normal position? Or is it possible to spring them and have them remain straight/flat?

Thanks,
JMagi
grieve
View Profile
New user
Austin, Texas
37 Posts

Profile of grieve
I have been practicing this very thing for about a week now, and I see no way after properly springing the cards that they will stay flat.

I started just like you, dropping them all over the floor, and now I can spring them from a distance of about .5 inches without dropping them! Smile

Keep up the practice,
grieve
MarkAllison
View Profile
New user
Hemel Hempstead, England
53 Posts

Profile of MarkAllison
There are occasions when you want to put a bend in the deck (or at least a part of the deck if you want to make a bridge) springing the cards is an ideal way of doing this - it looks casual and it is not obvious what you are doing.

Cheers

Mark
JMagi
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JMagi
And it seems like even a good way to "break in" the cards if you have a brand new deck. If you want them broken in, that is.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
That brings up a good point. You may find it easier to spring older, used cards.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Springing the Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL