The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Control Show Sounds With Show Cues (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..14..18..22..26..30..31~32~33 [Next]
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Socalmagic, I am planning to include individual track volume and maybe one or two additional individual track settings.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Excellent! Thanks for being so responsive to the users feedback.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
From Sept. 2012 MUM Magazine (official publication of the Society of American Magicians)

Carl Andrews is not only a designer and programmer of iDevice apps, he is also a working professional magician. When his friend Shawn Popp suggested that he create an app to play music cues, he went at it with passion. The result is the most professional program I have ever seen called Show Cues.

There are so many features to this app I won't have enough time to go through them all.

A wonderfully written manual and a professionally thought out program makes this a must for all performers. - Bruce Kalver, Tech Tricks column in MUM magazine.

http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Ok so I had promised a review of this product months ago so here it is.

Customer Service:
It has to be said that I paid for the remote in May and because of delays and the fact that I was one of the unlucky ones to get one from a bad batch I only received a working remote last week. Throughout this time both Shawn and Carl kept me well informed. Shawn even offered me some extras to make up for things.

Both Carl and Shawn were VERY helpful as I was learning the software and exchanged several e-mails with me and offered Skype sessions. As it turns out I wouldn't even have needed there help if I had read the instructions properly.

The Software:
The software is very easy to use. Loading songs is as easy as can be and having all the songs in your iTunes library easily accessible without converting them to mp3 is a real plus. The songs are also really easy to rearrange. The cue sheets work really well and can be very helpful to your soundman. The clock and timers are a good feature as well on occasion.

The software can get a little touchy sometimes if you have a lot of apps running so it is recommended that you fully turn off your iPad before running it.

The one problem is the fade out. There are two ways to fade out, the software fade and the hardware fade. When using the software fade there is a slight hiccup in the music as the command goes through. This is a known issue. It is only for a fraction of a second but is noticeable.

The hardware fade activates more smoothly without a hiccup but does not fade completely. There is quite a drop off in he volume at the end. It also takes quite a while to fade out and cue the next song at the proper volume level. It takes 18 seconds so you can't go right into the next song.

The Remote:
Personally I was disappointed in the remote. It is a key chain remote so it is quite small. The buttons are very close together and they don't have much of a feel to them. In my opinion it would be very difficult to use the remote in a pocket or without looking at it. The software also does not react well if you push the wrong button and getting back to a point where things are ok can be difficult.

Overall
I never use a soundman and the ability to fade out music is a must for me. I am also unwilling to accept the slight hiccup in the music when using a software fade. So for me the weaknesses in the fade out and in the remote make this a deal breaker. I may use this in smaller, less formal shows with limited sound tracks (perfect to run a Vanishing Bandana/Banana track) but not in larger shows with multiple sound tracks.

It is a perfect backup system for me though because it is very inexpensive and easy to transport as I always have my iPad with me anyways.

I will keep a close eye on the development of this product!
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Show Cues 1.3 now in beta testing:

fixed bug in fadeout all
fixed cut out at end of track
touch cue sheet once to hide and play track
close exits app, no running background
added count up timer option
fixed auto play after adding tracks bug
fixed audio up and down bug
added 24 hour clock option
resized cue sheet
adjustable font sizes in cue sheet
color band for easy playback state visual indicator
added countdown timer reset with a touch of timer on screen
track font is larger size when clock and timer not used
or next track display not used
user selects fade out duration (default 5)
user selects track title maximum size or fit to screen
option to fade pause without advancing track and resume where you left off.
individual track volume
individual track play thru or pause
link to iTunes review page
link to Facebook page
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Hi Carl,

So, with the new version in beta testing, will the hardware fade out on the remote that needs 15-18 seconds to cue the next track be unnecessary? Or, have the new remotes that fix that problem come out yet?

Thank you for the info!

Sincerely,
David
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
David the remote question, Shawn can answer better but I believe the time has been improved, that's the hardware.

With the software update there are more options to fading, a fading pause option so you can play someone up on stage, do a fading pause and then play them off stage right where you left off. The seeking next button fade option works best for me and has no delay.

Thanks,
Carl
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Carl,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, what does the seeking next button fade do exactly?

Sincerely,
David
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
David, it fades out the track and cues up the next track. It is just one of three different ways you can fade show cues. Some prefer the hardware fade, I prefer the seeking next fade, it's faster.

Thanks,
Carl
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Carl,

Thank you for the clarification.

Sincerely,
David
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
You are welcome David. We are also trying to keep tips and updated info on our support page at http://mojosoftwareonline.com/showcues.htm
and our FB page at https://www.facebook.com/ShowCues

Thanks!
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Another Show Cues iPhone/iPad App Review:

"I gotta say this is without question the best software option for playing music hands down. It's beyond great. I have had every system you can think of, including the mp3 tech and this blows them all away, ESP with these new updates. I'm not sure what else you plan on doing to improve this, but it's phenomenal. Well done!" — Michael Bourada

http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Carl,

A quick question about the remote; does the remote (when bought from Conjuring Cabinet) come with the belt clip?

Thanks,
David
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2012-09-20 12:08, David Garrity wrote:
Carl,

A quick question about the remote; does the remote (when bought from Conjuring Cabinet) come with the belt clip?

Thanks,
David

Hi David,
I have the remote and it doesn't come with a belt clip. I use a carabiner that has a canvas strap and a key ring hanging from it. I attach the remote to the key ring portion. Not as nice as a clip, but functional. At least the remote has an "eye" on the body, so you can devise a method for attaching it to your belt.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Since the kind people at Apple decided to change the connector and make a whole bunch of accessories obsolete, I was wondering if there are plans for a remote that would work with the iPhone 5?
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Sammy,

Thanks for the info! I'll get an extra clip from the IJet store to go with it. I am used to running music from my belt so that will work great.

Sincerely,
David
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
I am on the road so thanks for answering Sammy.

Michel, Apple is selling an adapter so all older accessories will still work.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Thanks Carl.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Show Cues is in beta 1.3.10 and has already added 27 new features or improvements! Should be available by mid-October.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Mid October?
Regards
Jon.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Control Show Sounds With Show Cues (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..14..18..22..26..30..31~32~33 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL