The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books/Pamphlets/Notes » » Todd Karr's The Secret Ways of Al Baker » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Born in Poughkeepsie New York on April 4th in 1874, Al Baker entered this world in the usual way and grew up to be one of the most highly respected magicians the art of magic has ever known.

His thinking was ahead of its time and in my humble opinion continues to be even to this day. From owning a magic shop, to inventing and manufacturing apparatus of all sorts (including a nickel plated thumb tip), to creating, writing and publishing tricks and effects that would be enjoyed by people around the globe, Al Baker was a real treasure for our art and will not be forgotten.

That said, I was very excited to learn of the publication of this wonderful work by The Miracle Factory and have spent the last couple of months exploring this wonderful book. The following is a few of my thoughts...enjoy. Smile

Todd Karr's The Secret Ways of Al Baker
---------------oOo-----------------

Description: Al Baker was one of the most creative figures in magic, a master of close-up, stage magic, and mentalism. Now ALL his legendary works are back in print in this volume, plus unpublished effects and much more!

• Complete new versions of Baker’s books: Magical Ways and Means, Pet Secrets, Al Baker’s Book, Al Baker’s Second Book, Cardially Yours, and Mental Magic
  • OVER 200 ADDITIONAL BAKER EFFECTS from manuscripts, instructions, journals, and notes, many previously unpublished
  • A dazzling array of never-before-seen Baker photos and rare memorabilia
  • Added illustrations by Katlyn Breene
  • Plus profiles and essays by Eugene Burger, John Carney, Jay Marshall, Max Maven, and Teller.
  • 912 large-format acid-free satin-finish pages, hardbound, with beautiful dustjacket by Katlyn Breene.

------------------------------------------

First, the above description (ad copy) does NOT give this book any justice at all. I'm serious, large and heavy enough to bend the shelf in your book case, this priceless work has enough magic and information to keep you busy for the rest of your life!

Besides a very good biography of the man himself, we are treated with essays by Eugene Burger, John Carney, Jay Marshall, Max Maven and even Teller, and that is just the beginning!

In addition, the book is packed full of hundreds of photographs (some very rare) and gorgeous artwork and illustrations by artist Katlyn Breene, and of course this entire book was put together and edited with loving care by Todd Karr, who I am ever so grateful too for publishing this important piece of magical history. Smile

The work is basically divided into four sections which include reprints of all of Al's books, articles, magazine contributions, marketed effects and so very much more. Tricks include material for stage, parlour, close-up and even mentalism! You also get a real feeling of what it must have been like to sit and talk with this man, perhaps hanging on the edge of every word he spoke and hoping to better understand the world we call magic.

I do not believe I can write enough positive information concerning the value of this book.
The bottom line is that anyone who has any serious interest in our art should add this wonderful work to your current library, even if it means not making any additional magic purchases for the next few months. Yes, I sincerely believe that this book is that important. Do yourself and your future audiences a real favor and buy this priceless treasure now! I'm giving this my Highest Recommendation! Smile

My rating:

Available from your favorite dealer. Dealers should contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc., Click here to visit Murphy's website!
Dealers call toll free: 1-800-853-7403

Suggested retail: $150.00

Special limited Edition:
(100 numbered copies of The Secret Ways of Al Baker are available signed by Eugene Burger, John Carney, Jay Marshall, Max Maven, and Teller, as well as the artist and the publisher, with a video disk of Baker (Warning: the clips within are wonderful but very brief home movies included just to give a glimpse of Baker himself!) available only in this edition. Bound in bonded leather, each copy is housed in an elegant custom-made, foil-stamped black archival case)

Suggested retail: $300.00

You can contact Todd Karr directly at: toddkarr@aol.com

To order direct, visit The Miracle Factory website at:
Click here!

To order call toll free: 1-877-707-4268
Questons? Chat? Call: (310) 577-9931

The Miracle Factory
13952 BORA BORA WAY,
SUITE 227
MARINA DEL REY, CA. 90292
USA
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books/Pamphlets/Notes » » Todd Karr's The Secret Ways of Al Baker » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL