The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scanner (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 12:22, David Numen wrote:
Staples are so annoying - whenever I go I get constant hassle from salespeople "Can I help you?" "Everything ok sir?" "Looking for something in particular?"...yes, peace to browse!!! Astonishing you've asked for something basic and they can't help you.

They always seem to ask, "Did you find everything today?" I always answer, "No, I found it yesterday, but thanks for asking."
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
The store I went has the salespeople that run to the backroom as soon as any customers arrive.

However I had much better luck at the Bellevue Staples store during my lunch break today. A saleperson helped me find what I was there to buy. They had the stuff that I needed in stock.

-Max
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
Now I did find the one thing that I needed but do you think they had any appropriate pads? No way.

So now I have to look in a buch of shops for the right pad to use.

-Max
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I'm also having trouble finding the right kind of pads.

any help is appreciated

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
(…a little late with the review, but…)

Poor Man’s James Bond IP

While I don’t think this will ever replace some of the existing commercial devices, I do like the availability and the innocence of this device. Something you can build yourself, probably for less than a dollar, and that will accomplish much of what the commercial devices will do.

The “technology” itself is not new by any means, but it looks like this particular application is original, and definitely creative. For the price of materials, you’ll want this just to play with it yourself.

The knowledge here could also be a life saver in those (hopefully rare) cases when you arrive but your equipment doesn’t. With an extra fifteen minutes and a trip to Wal-Mart, you could save the show.

One caveat, and Jose mentions this in the instruction, this will not last forever. A part of the device will need to be replaced, possibly after about five performances, but the cost is pennies, and since it’s a DIY project, you’ll already have the materials.

Overall, a very worthwhile project. Thumbs up, Jose.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this effect from the author free of charge.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
prestidig
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of prestidig
I purchased this too and am very pleased. I purchased that "special material" at target and constructed the pad in just a few minutes. I could not find the ideal type of pad. My pad's cover is decorated with girly colored circles, but the impression on the inside was still pretty clear. The reset worked well too.

This pad is perfect for me. As a hobbiest, I have no need to fork out $100 on a slick professionally made pad. I like that you can use a regular pencil or pen; a special marker is unnecessary. It's easy and cheap to replace too.

I found the Scanner to be easier to construct than the Tommy Pad. The brand of "special material" that I found for the Tommy Pad didn't work too well and I didn't get a good impression. If you get the right stuff I'm sure it's great.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Found all that I needed at Office Depot today, made one up easily in a few minutes, and tested it. It works!

This will fill the bill for my needs. I haven't used it in performance yet, of course, but I feel very secure in the peek. And the reset is quick and complete if done as Jose suggests.

The pad I used is a Mead and has a green cover and doesn't flash anything to the sides.

For pre-show I would make several small pads to avoid resets as they are so cheap to make.

Good job Jose! Thank you!

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I found the required pads in packs of three in my local "Two Dollar Shop!"
Don't give up. This IP works great. I really like it.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Jose sent me a review copy of this. I've had a little play with it this evening and I quite like it.

In elaboration to the question asked earlier: "What are the advantages of the "scanner" over the John Riggs' "Butterfly"?"
- Cheaper.
- Quick and easy to make. I can't make comments for stationary stores all over the world, but certainly in the UK you can pick up the notepad in most supermarkets and 99% of stationary stores. I had a supply of the special material, but likewise this is widely available. This is a pretty big positive if you want a custom pad on the cheap.
- The impressions are stronger compared to my Butterfly and Mascot Moth with my unscientific testing this evening.
- A real time peek is easier.
- If prepared well, the pad is 100% un-bustable before the effect starts.

There are some disadvantages:
- I'd prefer the the Riggs devices in low light environments (but I'd probably use a micro-cap type pad in those cases).
- Reset is slightly trickier with the scanner but you can have two performances before reset is required at all.
- You will need to remedial work on the scanner sooner than with the the moth/butterfly.
- The Scanner will withstand less inspection by the spectator after it has been used than a Riggs pad.

Will I be using The Scanner and is it worth $20?

A tentative "yes". I do like my pre-made pads but I can certainly envisage times when I might make one of these up. Certainly if you are caught short someday and can drop via a stationary store is is an effect worth having. Indeed if you are making money from your art, $20 is not an unreasonable price to pay to be able to muster a decent pad at short notice for important purposes. This is also a fair bit cheaper than a Riggs, and certainly a Paralabs pad - so if cost is an issue, I'd grab one of these.

I would have liked a routine to be included with the book - but hey - I'm greedy.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I'd recommend this, but with the caveat that it's essentially a re-invention of a previously marketed item. When Jose learned this, he did the right thing and purchased the rights to this earlier item, so kudos to him for that. I mention this only because, if the description seems like it might be familiar to you, it might be worth your time to check with Jose and make sure you're not re-buying something you already have.

All that said, it is a useful and practical way to collect info on the sly.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Mauricio, thanks for the advice. I've found another alternative which gives me a more subtle imp; probably for real time work. The former material gives a really strong imp (upon closer examination I know the reason for that too) and I think will work well for preshow - might consider doing up a small clipboard as well.

~ Nique
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
Hi my friends,

Just to make it clear if you purchase The Scanner and you realize that you already owned the old and limited manuscript, I will refund your money.
I also want to ask everyone to please post all your questions regarding The Scanner materials and handling at the forum that you get access when buying the eBook, I feel we are getting close to exposure in here.

If you don't have The Scanner eBook you can get it here: http://www.mindshocks.com/2012/06/19.html

Thanks everyone for your support.
Remember that you can contact me directly here: castilloprager@gmail.com
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
You know Jose a few of us joked around about how you release stuff and you were quite hurt by our comments...yet here they are exactly as predicted. I haven't got the pad because someone told me that it's based on Shrink's IA pad. Good for you that you've done the right thing in buying the rights for this however I am still puzzled at the release - plenty of people knew about the IA pad and it's certainly not obscure. In fact back in the day there was much discussion about it and indeed many of the names discussing it are still around.

Anyway, congratulations I guess, you've done the right thing in buying the rights and applying credit however maybe if you were less eager to release any old idea you have you might eventually stumble upon something completely original and not have this obstacle.
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
OK David. Smile

If someone is interested in review a copy, just send me a PM.
Jose Prager

www.e-mentalism.com
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I remember the good old IA pad, and Shrink when he was around here back in the day. I still have some of that stuff. Is it the same stuff?
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
756 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
I will stick with the Masters of our craft.

Rigg's
ParaLabs
Thom Bleasdale
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 16:18, Aaron E wrote:
I will stick with the Masters of our craft.

Rigg's
ParaLabs
Thom Bleasdale

Thanks for letting me know.
Jose Prager

www.e-mentalism.com
granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
Scanner is a creative effect by a creative mind.

Respect,

granterg
tricky360
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of tricky360
Bought this today, can't wait to buy the magic stuff to make this up. From what I've read sounds really good. I couldn't really get on with the Tommy pad, I'll see how this compares. Good release Jose.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
A LOT of people already have the original that came out around 7 years ago. There were pages of threads about it here on the Café. You may find quite a few people taking you up on the offer of being refunded. Seems a bit of a strange way to do business.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scanner (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL