The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Stop using the word organic!!! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
If I hear one more goofy looking kid selling a magic DVD use the word organic, I think I'll snap. "Dude ... this is so organic." Not only are they using an obscure meaning of the word, they feel the need to use it about every trick under the sun. To most normal people organic means carbon based compound.

I just heard this gem on a DVD: "Everything is innocent and organic. Let's be honest .. you can't get more organic than a business card and a sharpie marker."

Two back to back sentences with this abomination of a word. Argh!!!!!

I feel better now.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Very organic post. Ha, agree with you!
Philip Busk
highcard
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of highcard
I haven't noticed an overuse of this term in the magic world but I certainly have in other areas. It's like the word became a hot property in the environmental arena, so now others are trying to appropriate it for their own specialties. In the end the term will become trite and meaningless.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Once, I played an organ.
Not bad for a hominid organism.
Clever as they are, no orangutan could play an organ the way I played an organ.
They lack the requisite mental cognition and organic organization.
Looking back, I wonder, due to the whimsy of organic Mother Nature, if that huge organ I played is in fact the most fun I may ever had pounding my fingers on an organ.
It strikes me at this somewhat lecherous juncture that the word “groan” is an organic acronym for “organ.”
And I shall now sign off before I break any Café rules.
Back to the organ-grind.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
We all hope you reach your goals in life.

Organically.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Used way too much by people who don't no what they're talking about.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Granger
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Granger
That's true enough! I have heard this countless time, providing I just started out in magic!
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I read this today:

Organically. Adverb. Did you think of those thoughts all in your own brain? And in doing so, did you dub whatever emerged as having come to you organically? This is a pretentious word that too often means one is avoiding the effort it takes to come up with a word that means what one really intends it to mean.

From: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertain......2/59909/
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
How about orgasmic??!
:)
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
When I was young everything was !@#$%in, for my kids it was Awesome, so now it's organic.

I wonder what's next.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 21:07, altmagic wrote:
When I was young everything was !@#$%in, for my kids it was Awesome, so now it's organic.

I wonder what's next.

Wow he can say orgasmic and the software maskes !@#$%in. Wow flashbacks to my youth Smile
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 23:15, evikshin wrote:
How about orgasmic??!
:)

I believe that would put a whole new spin on marketing effects.
b0sl0q7
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of b0sl0q7
I don't think they are using the word as it is defined. It is just a way of describing a trick that uses ordinary objects and appears impromptu. I gave up getting annoyed by the poor use of the english language when my son said that his new shoes were tight and he hadn't even tried them on. Apparently "tight" means he liked the shoes!! I'm getting old!!!! Smile
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I bet you thought his shoes were "boss" (or am I even older?) Smile

Regards, Steve
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I think the word "organic" when talking about magic is a great description for things that appear as normal, everyday objects (gimmicked or not). To me it seems odd so many magicians like to use props that the general public is not familiar... Odd props make it look not real, or even skillful (with the exception of the Odd Magician!).
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
While I agree it is a bit overused, it's simply an example of how the english language changes over time, and words develop new connotations. Organic became popularized in the food industry meaning foods that were natural and free of all the toxins and things put in their by people, and I think here it expresses an effect that uses natural objects muggles see and can relate to.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I assume the user has poor linguistic skills and must resort to cliches.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
"Organic" in the examples here is a poor substitute for the word "natural". I don't understand why those people don't use the word "natural" when it's clear to me the correct word to be used:
"Everything is innocent and NATURAL. Let's be honest .. you can't get more NATURAL than a business card and a sharpie marker."
Right?

Perhaps it's like the modern adoption in the corporate business world of the word "leverage" to mean "using one's resources" instead of its classic, Physics meaning of "increasing Force by employing a lever".

It goes along with people who use the word "literally" in 2013 as an adverb when it's not need, such as this:
"I literally had tears running down my face from laughing so hard."
If you said "I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard"(omitting the word "literally") it would convey the same description of the event.
I fear that our culture of speaking includes too many exaggerations as a baseline normal that now people feel the unconscious need to use the word "literally" to clarify when they are speaking the truth about a description.

I emboldened the word "unconscious" to make a point that if instead we think about what we want to say, and say it in clear language with intentional word choice, we will appear intelligent.

--Diavo Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I can't really comment because most of my repertoire is pumped full of hormones.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Dude? It's like.... Com on
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Stop using the word organic!!! (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL