The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Reel magic with silks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jascx,

No problem. I've learned that Oops! is very good English. (You know at times I even sign as "The Amazed Wiz" because no one is more amazed than I am the way somethings come out.)

Now some of us on here are nearly old enough to remember David Cooperfield as new literature. But you are right; we are also very proud of the younger model. He is a credit to the magic community. Magic is our common thread.

I'm sorry you felt insulted. The remark was certainly not aimed at you. My desk deserves it.

I really was just trying to stick to the title of the forum: "Reel Magic with Silks". The Magic Café is a very functional vehicle for magicians helping magicians. Somethings simply work!

As to your question about the Flying Silks trick used by David Copperfield, perhaps this will get you the information you seek.

Address:
Mr. David Seebach
Wonders of Magic
N61 W16020 Hawthorne Dr.
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051

Phone: 262.252.3333
FAX: 262.252.8633
E-mail: david@davidseebach.com

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The Amazed Wiz
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jascx
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of jascx
Bob, thank you. You know, I've come to recognize by inference in most cases, that many of you guys are true giants in the field of magic. That your experiences are vast, long lived and that collectively you and your personal aquaintances include the guys who wrote the original books so to speak. Being new to this interest, I can seldom recognize any of you by name. And I imagine that my respect for many of you usually falls far short of the level that you truly merit.

My knowledege is limited to those names who showed a trick on national television. I know that those people are rarely if ever the original source of the elements of their performance. But the only means I have to define a certain trick is to describe it, and maybe name the person I saw perform it.

Thank you for the info.

-james
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Anyone used the brass reels made in India? If so what do you think?
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Does anyone who can fix a reel?
I have a P&L that is broken.
Thanks.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John,

I have tried the brass reels from India. Personally, I think the best advice is to just say "No".

There are plenty of good reels available. Don't embarrass yourself with mechanical problems. (We manage to find enough other ways! Just watch me.)

Andrew,

Try Haines House of Cards or Paul Diamond. A real P&L reel is worth repairing. Both also sell good reels.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-02-26 02:33, Bob Sanders wrote:
My first thought when I hear the words silk and reels together is Paul Diamond (Mr. Humble).
<snip>
Last May I went to Florida and watched him do MC bits with a silk and a reel. It's still magic.
Paul Diamond 's still around kicking and performing?

Love that guy!

I meet him once at a convention in Vienna and he even made me buying his reel, also I already had plenty..
He even invited me to visit him when ever I was near ar Fort Lauderdale, as he'd seen me doing a silly (not very well done)rope routine well, so he said.
Nice guy.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Werner,

Yep! Mr. Humble rides more than he walks. But I watched him perform May 2003. If he has a silk and a reel, the microphone stand will be in the act!

Fortunately he has a good boss, Andy. She keeps him straight, as Mr. Humble can be kept.

He sends emails. I'll PM you his address.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-11 12:36, Bob Sanders wrote:
He sends emails. I'll PM you his address.

Bob
Magic By Sander

Thanx..I'll send him a short hello to see if he remembers when he was 16 years younger Smile ..Vienna 1988..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Thanks Bob!
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
If you can get ahold of one, the Vernet Candle Pull makes a great, quiet reel. Plastic case. I never had it break over a 15 year period. If you run across one, check it out. I used it for silk through mic stand until I came up with a gimmickless version (not Shigeo's, totally different).

JF
wilcom629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of wilcom629
Can anyone help me make the corners
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
An alternative to using a reel for "The Self Untying Silk" is to do what Anverdi did for some of his silk penetration effects--run the th---d from the corner of the silk to your table. I like this better than a reel because except for the silk, the hand is totally empty. Of course, the best way to attach the th---d to the corner of the silk is to use a n**dl*. (Anverdi didn't do the serpent silk with his setup, possibly because he felt it might be too easy for a lay person to figure it out since, as Sherlock Holmes would say, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.")

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Sonny! A n***l* is the OLD WAY to attach the th***d to the s**k.

I have a much better way! I've been doing it many years, and I honestly can't remember if I thought it up, or, if someone showed me. I'll PM you. Perhaps you'll know if it has been "around"!

I'm putting it in the book, along with tips on how to twirl the silk, gracefully, how to "position" the knot for masimum effect, and the timing for the untying.

The Serp.is such a beautiful effect! I hate to see it spoiled,by poor timing, and handling.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2004, Bob Sanders wrote:
Andrew,

Try Haines House of Cards or Paul Diamond. A real P&L reel is worth repairing. Both also sell good reels.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

What brand reels are you referring to that are good?
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The Tango reel is good.....just needs a little time to break in like all reels.......
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The "better Way" that Dick describes in his post above was detailed first, as far as I can determine, in the instructions supplied with Kirkindall Reels. And yes, it's a KEEPER!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Reel magic with silks (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL