We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » "The Show Doctor" by Jeff McBride (iPad only) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
In the new (July) issue of MAGIC Stan Allen announces the pending availability of Jeff McBride's new eBook "The Show Doctor" for the iPad (there's a printed version also). Comprised of revised versions of McBride's column along with 11 tricks and various other content (including video), "The Show Doctor" should be available in the app store shortly (it's just waiting for approval from Apple). You can get a preview here:

http://www.magicmagazine.com/digital-books/index.php

And for more info on the printed version:

http://www.theoryandartofmagic.com/produ......_id=7558

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2329 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Jeff McBride, Abbi Spinner, Eugene Burger, Larry Hass, Bryce Kuhlman and the rest of the Mystery School crew have been helping magicians to improve their acts for over twenty years. Jeff's vision is NOT to make you into a McBride clone. Instead, he genuinely wants you to be the best magician that you possibly can be. Most of us already know too many tricks. The challenge is to take those tricks and create an experience of magic for our audiences. Now, even if you've never been able to attend one of McBride's Mystery School classes, you have the opportunity to take advantage of his deep knowledge of magic and his practical performing experience.

The Show Doctor, by Jeff McBride and Lawrence Hass, is the best single resource for improving your magic act that I've ever seen. It has all of the great wisdom contained in Jeff's Magic Magazine columns plus illustrations, video, and over 45,000 words of additional material. It's also one of the best uses of the iPad as a teaching tool that I've ever seen. It's beautifully designed, and the multimedia features are seamlessly integrated. At $24.95, it's a bargain.

And if you don't have an iPad, plunk down the extra cash, kill a few trees, and get the print edition. The material contained in The Show Doctor has the potential to expand your horizons and improve your magic. Take a sabbatical from the Internet, turn off your TV, and be prepared to become the outstanding magician that you always wanted to be.

This one gets my highest recommendation.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."
-Pop Haydn
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
For those searching for it on the App store, you need to download the MAGIC Digital Books app and it's available as an in-app purchase. (The full book is $24.99 and there's also a free preview available.)

NOTE: For some reason the app takes up 2 GB of space on my iPad 3, even with just the preview. It may be because I'm running the iOS 6 beta, but check your memory usage before and after installing.
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
I figured out the memory issue...if you look under General->Usage in the Settings app and you have MAGIC Magazine installed, you'll see a MAGIC app near the top of the list with the same logo as the MAGIC Digital Books app. This is NOT the MAGIC Digital Books app but rather MAGIC Magazine. It's extremely confusing, as it just says MAGIC. In any case, the 2 GB I saw was for MAGIC Magazine, not MAGIC Digital Books. (Have I confused anyone else yet?!)
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
147 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
I am very excited about this new book. Great info from the magazines expanded. Also, the first Magic book on the iPad. Really a fun step forward. Let me know what you think when you get yours. I plan to start reading this next week.
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
It's the first MAGIC book on the iPad, but it's not the first magic book.
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
147 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
I have my physical copy of McBride's new book "The Show Doctor" in my hands right now. After spending the last 2 hours with the book I can tell you that if you have enjoyed any of the books below, this has to be in your library!

http://www.theoryandartofmagic.com/produ......_id=7558

My Favorite books for the thinking Magician / Mentalist:

Magic and Meaning By Eugene Burger and Robert E Neale
Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger
Magic Matters by Robert E Neale
Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz
Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz
Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder
Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber
Shattering Illusions by Jamy Ian Swiss
Devious Standards by Jamy Ian Swiss
Neo magic Artistry by S.H. Sharpe
Art and Magic by S.H. Sharpe
Our Magic by Nevil Maskelyne & David Devant
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms
Sleights of Mind Stephen Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde
Beyond Deception by Tobias Beckwith
Foundations by Eberhard Riese
Find the Stuff That's You by Chris Carey
Performing Magic by Tony Middleton
The Five Points in Magic by Juan Tamariz
The Magic Way by Juan Tamariz
Showmanship for Magicians by Dariel Fitzkee
The Trick Brain by Dariel Fitzkee
Magic by Misdirection by Dariel Fitzkee
Transformations by Lawrence Hass
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Can anyone confirm that the electronic version will ONLY work on an iPad, and not on a computer?
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2329 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
The current electronic version of The Show Doctor only works on the iPad. If the folks at Magic Magazine would create additional software applications (for PCs, for Macs, for Android devices, etc.), it would be possible to view The Show Doctor on other devices.

So, let Stan know that you'd like to run The Show Doctor on a non-iPad device. If there's a large enough market, it just might happen.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."
-Pop Haydn
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
237 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Greetings All,
Thank you for your comments about the new book. Following are a few things that will help you enjoy THE SHOW DOCTOR
If you buy the hard copy of the book you get ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES ( as Larry Hass and Stan Allen call them!)
* Extra essays
*Follow up video interviews
*Demonstrations of the effects
* Performances and animations
* and other surprises

Just get on your computer and type in
http://www.magicalwisdom.com/showdoctor

Go there and you will see the list of updated links and the special page to access ALL THE VIDEOS AND EXTRAS!

You will have to have a hard copy of the book with you to answer " the mystery question" to allow you access to the secret stuff!

ALSO: We have a fun and informative MYSTERY SCHOOL MONDAY episode featuring Larry Hass and Stan Allen.
Watch this and you will be able to enjoy the book on even deeper levels of mystery!
Even if you don't have the book you will get plenty to think about!

Mystery School Monday presents: "Everything you want to know about THE SHOW DOCTOR book!
Here is your users guide! FREE!
http://www.livestream.com/mcbridemagic/v......c5c38187

Please enjoy this special show about the book, and the book!

If you have any question...I am here to help!
That is what "THE SHOW DOCTOR" is all about; helping YOU make better magic.

JEff " The Show Doctor"
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
2544 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I bought it. I love it.

There's plenty of food for thought here.

The advice contained within will impact my magic (and more) for the rest of my life.

Thanks Jeff. Smile
I don't want an independent Scotland. I like the fact the English pay for my benefits and prescriptions. Smile
Arjan van Vembde
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Arjan van Vembde
Once opened, I read from the first to the last page before I closed this book again. Wow, these pages contain an overwhelming amount of practical knowledge, wisdom and clever tricks. I think this is a great book, and it is my pleasure to write a review.

Jeff McBride, named as one the most influential magicians of our time, collected in this book the columns he wrote for Magic Magazine over the course of four years. In these 48 (revised) columns McBride answers questions of readers ranging from making your magic more fun, sweaty hands, building an in house theater, to tips on stage illusions. McBride shares his knowledge and experience in short columns of about 2 pages in an easy to read style. His examples and advices are direct, witty and honest: a questioner with five years experience who wants to build a full evening show is advised to follow his dream, and to be realistic: “Great magicians are created one trick at a time” (a quote by Eugene Burger).

Being an experienced Masterclass Student I recognize a lot of the tips I read, and again am impressed with the practical clearness of the teachings. Indeed, McBride proves there is little as practical as practical theory! But McBride is not only smart, he is wise too, having a deep love for magic and a deep love to helping people becoming better in every way. His advice is never to dream less, but always to dream more, and to dream with your eyes wide open. And in sharing his own experiences, successful and unsuccessful, he inspires to stay focused in getting the best out of yourself, as a magician and as a human!

Next to the revised columns from Magic Magazine you find some interviews by editor Lawrence Hass to go into a subject a little deeper and several extensively described magic effects. The tricks range from a close-up routine with coins, to mind reading the participants first kiss to a low budget illusion to make yourself vanish on stage. Often you find references to books, YouTube videos and articles on McBride’s own online learning ground http://www.magicalwisdom.com.

The hardcover book is very well produced, with high quality paper and witty drawings at the beginning of each chapter by Craig Conley and most illustrations with the tricks are by the late master illustrator Earle oakes. If you want to go digital, there’s an IPad version of the book as well available.

In short, this is one of the most practical books available to improving your magic, learn some of the most powerful tricks of the trade and learn some new strong magic tricks. This book is highly recommended.

About the reviewer Arjan van Vembde
I am a part time professional magician from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I worked weekly over six years in a restaurant as magician of the house and won several prices at competitions. I am serious about creating an experience of wonder for my audience and have a fond interest in theory and philosophy of magic. In daily life I work as a consultant on organisational development.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1152 Posts

Profile of billappleton
The iPad app works great and contains additional movies and material. This is an extremely practical resource that would help any magician, close up or stage. Thanks Jeff!
c4rlito
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of c4rlito
Will this work on the Apple ITouch guys?
Best Regards,
Matthew McGurk
www.matthewmcgurk.com
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I am hoping that the Android version (suitable for phone) comes soon!

Danny
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
247 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
Would love to see this on the Kindle.

Bruce
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Damian
I bought the iPad version for myself, for Christmas. If I had known about its existence earlier, I would've bought if for myself, for Independence Day.

In short, the content is terrific and the technical aspect (the way it's been designed for the iPad) is fantastic. I am so impressed with way book-learning is improving through the iPad. Scroll to read the article, swipe to turn to the next chapter. Just like Magic Magazine iPad version and just as brilliant. Additional, supplemental articles available at a tap, when mentioned in preceding article, or at the end. Imbedded videos. You can put a star on a chapter for later review. Everything about this way of reading books is fantastic. Even diagrams are easier to follow with the "swipe" feature.

My dream-wish is that they would add a note-taking feature that would allow one to tap an area to make a note. It is even mentioned in the introduction that the hard-copy has extra wide margins for this purpose. Hoping to see this feature in future issues of Magic Magazine and ebooks.

Hard to imagine any performer who wouldn't benefit from the content. From the beginner to the seasoned pro, there is great information here, for everyone. (For reference, I have been studying magic for cca 12 years; part-time professional for cca 7 years). Sometimes Jeff points out things that I instinctively knew, but just couldn't put my finger on. Other times, completely new ideas. This is the kind of book that I will return to again and again to be reminded of the fundamentals of performing.

Thank you Jeff and Lawrence for producing a terrific, terrific ebook!

Damian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » "The Show Doctor" by Jeff McBride (iPad only) (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.214154 seconds, requiring 62 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [3] [0] [7] [3] [5] [9]