The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Used bookstore finds (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3536 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I found The Expert at the Card Table by Erdnase for $2
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of Anatole
At a bookstore in Maryland I found _Inside Magic_ by George Boston, with dust jacket.
In a different Maryland bookstore I found _Fun with Magic_ and _More Fun with Magic_ by Joseph Leeming, both with dust jackets.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
By now they've deleted all but
3640 Posts

Profile of landmark
Those two Leeming books were great library favorites when I was growing up. I would check them out again and again. I'd love to see those again some time.
The key to the future of the world is finding the optimistic stories and letting them be known. —Pete Seeger
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6718 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
A good bargain place nowadays is when there are leaflets in a lot at an auction sale. Most of the time people shun such lots and miss out on some extremely valuable magic in lecture notes and/or leaflets that go for a very low price when the content and the rarity is very high. I've bought many of these at Potter and Potter and before this at Swann Galleries.

The market has changed indeed and the ration time spent vs price is no longer with the book shops
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3536 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I just found a Coles edition of Hugard's More Card Tricks Made Easy at the used book shop.
I got it for 99 cents. It's in great shape.
challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
I have had some good luck with ABE, it requires some patience.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5358 Posts

Profile of motown
If you live in the Detroit area the big John King Used book store had quite a few used magic books and magazines, Genii, Magic, Tops and many others.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
HerbS
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of HerbS
There are some magic books on sale at Mercer Street books in Manhattan-or at least there were as of about a week ago.
ekins
View Profile
Loyal user
Portland, Oregon
267 Posts

Profile of ekins
Powell's Books in Portland always has some magic books and you can view their entire inventory online (www.powells.com). Unfortunately, I've never found a bargain there but they must show up sometimes.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5358 Posts

Profile of motown
There aren't as many bargains at used book stores like there use to be, but you can occasionally find a great OOP book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
JoshTmagic
View Profile
New user
Illinois
50 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Not exactly a used bookstore but a bookstore none the less I found Mark Wilson's complete guide to magic at Barnes and nobles and was pleased I didn't have to order it online!
Leo H
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On 2013-12-21 21:39, motown wrote:
There aren't as many bargains at used book stores like there use to be, but you can occasionally find a great OOP book.

I noticed that in my area. Two hours in a local used bookstore, probably the last one left in town, yielded nothing in the magic and games section.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Leo, have you been to Wonder Book and Video in Frederick and Hagerstown? I see from their website that they also list a location now in Gaithersburg. It was one of my favorite used book stores. Barbarian Books in Wheaton sometimes had some unusual items, too. There was a great bookstore in Rockville, too, that was kind of a warehouse--Second Story Books at 12160 Parklawn Drive.

When I consider what to do with my collection of magic books once I go to that Magic Castle in the sky, I sometimes think I'd like to have the books sold to an ordinary used bookstore rather than a magic shop or auctioned off at a magic club. Why? Partly because I imagine in my mind's eye some kid finding one of my books in a used bookstore, buying it, and becoming seriously bitten by the magic bug. Wasn't that how Houdini got his start--finding the Robert-Houdin book in a bookstore?

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
heybobby08
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
50 Posts

Profile of heybobby08
I sure wish I was near some of the book stores you have been to! I've yet to find any real gems at the book stores I frequent. Guess I just need to keep on digging though to find those gems.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I remember finding Henry Hay's _Cyclopedia of Magic_ at the Intimate Book Shop on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, NC. Hay's _The Amateur Magician's Handbook_ had been my Bible since 1963, so finding the _Cyclopedia_ around 1969 was a big surprise.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Second Story books on Parklawn Drive is pretty much the only used bookstore I might visit. They still have a great selection of used books but the magic section is continually raided by magicians. They know about the this store and show up now and then. It's easier just to call Andy Greget for a hard to find used magic book.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of Anatole
H&R Books has an extensive inventory of used books:
http://www.magicbookshop.com/index.php?cPath=9

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Used bookstore finds (1 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.083578 seconds, requiring 58 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [7] [2] [3] [2] [3] [4] [0]