The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How big are your balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of wafflesthemagician
I've played with my balls a bunch, and it seems that I prefer 1 inch balls. My friend has recommended a certain set of balls to me, but they're 1.25 inches, and they feel un-natural, so I stick with my own. I just use whatever's laying around for my final load. Sometimes a tennis ball, sometimes my balled-up sock I'm thinking of getting a few chain-mail hacky-sacks for my new final loads. So, how about you guys? How big are your balls?
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I've got 3 different cup & ball routines that I do depending on what king of crowd I'm looking at. My main routine has 2 double loads, I use the little yellow Tennis looking balls then the first load is regular yellow Tennis balls then the finale is a set of rubber coated baseballs colored Red, White & Blue that I picked up at Wal-Mart.
I also have a set of Street Hockey balls in different colors which goes over well also.
Bill
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
1" all the way!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Right now, I'm only doing a chop cup routine on a regular basis. 2 baseballs....baseball size.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I use these: http://www.monkeyknuts.com/Monkey-Knuts-......gic.html. They are heavy so once you get used to them it is hard to go to a lighter ball. They are great for a wand spin vanish because the weight gives you assurance when they are dropped. The finished ball is 1.125" for the ones I bought. There are two other sizes available and the color choices and prices are great!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg

...but, I digress.

I perform Scotty York's One Cup Routine with 1 1/2" super soft sponge balls. For the final loads, I use either tennis balls or Poof balls. which are a little larger.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
1 1/8 to 1 1/4 hard monkey fists of my own making. Bigger balls work better with a little finger grip and allows a slightly open hand for a more natural look. It's a little more difficult loading two as one, but it can be done.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Use the largest balls you can hold in your closed hand.

@waffles: When you get your post count up to 50, you will be able to get into the section of the forum called "The Secret Sessions." By the time you do this, I'll have something posted about the intricacies of ball sizes.

Also, use balls that are easy to see at a distance. Take your close-up mat, shirt, jacket or vest into consideration. If you wear black, use yellow balls. They give the best contrast against black. White would be the second choice.

There has been some discussion of the color contrast on this forum already, so a search should help you with this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
I made monkey fist balls with 5/8 " steel bearings covered in leather lacing in different colors. The final size is about 1". They are nice and heavy with no bounce and they do not roll very far on the table.
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I have no idea how big my balls are only that they are comfortable in my hand. I take computer mouse balls and crochet a cover arround them out of 100% cotton yarn, comes out at a good size for me and theres a chunk of steel inside those mouse balls, so they're fairly heavy, I hate light balls. I absolutely despise them.
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
Gary T,

I started off using the mouse balls as well but they got harder and harder to find even though I work around lots of computers. That is why I started using the ball bearings. The only downside is that they are not rubber coated like the mouse balls and some covering materials are hard to work with because they slide off the surface when you first start the covering.
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I use suede leather lacing from my local craft store and it works fine with the glass marbles I use as a core. I couldn't use nylon lace for the same reason you stated about it sliding off the core.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Fred Kaps was using 1 1/2" sponges but, to support Bill's advice, one has to remember that he had huge hands.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 09:12, Dale J. O'Neill wrote:
Gary T,

I started off using the mouse balls as well but they got harder and harder to find even though I work around lots of computers. That is why I started using the ball bearings. The only downside is that they are not rubber coated like the mouse balls and some covering materials are hard to work with because they slide off the surface when you first start the covering.

mouse balls are getting much much harder to find with all the laser mouses now days, I'm going to college for electric/electronic technology, so I just asked one of my instructors and he came back with a handful of about 10 of them Smile, but you can also but them off ebay, I don't know how their price compares to the ball bearings, probably more expensive, but they are available if you're willing to pay for them.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can find mouse balls at electronic surplus houses.

waffles wrote:
Quote:
I've played with my balls a bunch, and it seems that I prefer 1 inch balls. My friend has recommended a certain set of balls to me, but they're 1.25 inches, and they feel un-natural, so I stick with my own. I just use whatever's laying around for my final load. Sometimes a tennis ball, sometimes my balled-up sock I'm thinking of getting a few chain-mail hacky-sacks for my new final loads. So, how about you guys? How big are your balls?

Check this thread.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=37&0
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
My "second generation" CM's will only take 7/8, but they easily swallow most LaCross balls.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
...uh...As impossible as it may seem, my balls are bigger than anyone here so far. I use 4" mylar-glitter balls. My cups are 14" tall, large enough to accomodate double final loads of pumpkins, gourds and squash, performed while I sing a song.
:cups:

Click here to view attached image.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
1" balls work best for me also.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 09:54, ringmaster wrote:
My "second generation" CM's will only take 7/8, but they easily swallow most LaCross balls.

CM's ??
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I see. Charlie Millers. Never mind.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How big are your balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL