The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Whats a good color changing Knife set to get? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
I had one years ago but cant remember what kind it was. I remember it wasn't cheap. Whats the good ones on todays market?
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Without a shadow of a doubt... JOE MOGAR (his site is illustrated on the front page of the "Magic Café") All my knives (I have a lot!) are from Mr. Mogar. Because of their shape, they are easy to manipulate, like cigarettes and the colors are bright. My only concern would be, don't ask for a set with yellow and white knives. Depending on the lighting they could look the same (I know, it happen to me and Mr Mogar accept quickly to change my yellow for another color (green). Take a look at his web site. You'll see for yourself.

Dave
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I second joe mogar.excellant quality.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I agree with the choice of Mogar knives. I have had the same set for several years. They handle nicely, fit well in the pocket, and you can tell by feel which side of the knife you need.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Mogar makes great knives, but so does magic Lanny in Houston. I bought mine from him during TAOM. his email is magiclanny@yahoo.com
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Google "Magic Reference Page" and look in the Color Changing Knives Section,..Lots of information.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I concur. Joe Mogar knives are some of the best out there.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Joe Moagar is indeed producing extremely nice penknives.
Now It's impossible to have them with us when taking a plane. The idea of replacing penknives with throw away lighters doesn't solve the problem. Chad Long's idea to replace the knives with computer flash drives, not only solves the problem but brings a well explored magical field into the present time. There are still some minor technical progresses to be gained in the Flaash Drive/penknives field. Namely to have the split in color on the Jay Ose knives to be made at an angle so that the thumb can cover naturally the odd color before the progressive color change. This would work nicely with flash drives if the cap of the USB key was made at an angle, justifyinng the slit ...
Also some of the advanced cigarette moves (not the contrieved ones that most magicians cherish to feel skillfull but the ones that don't look like magicians moves) can be brought into penknves routines. So the color is secondary for the question is incomplete: how many knives are involved in the routine (three like in Juan Tamariz's routine? Six as in Matt Schulien's routine? Eight as in the routine I made -with the knives- 20 years ago for Johnny Thompson?)...
Furthermore the color isn't totally neutral it has to be in relation with the script: one knife in the routine that I gave to Johnny Thompson features a piano keyboard (so black and white on one side and naturally balck on the other side with an additional knife black on one side and white on the other.
The texture of the handle is also opening potential for scripts and therefore different effects never approached before because every one wants to start with a pre fixed closed concept and the tools developped for it.

Buying Jo Mogar's knives (and book) makes a lot of sensse if it's not just to brag about having bought the "best" knives to compensate performing the cheapest routine with just good sleights but very poor magic inexistnat misdirection in a lack of script
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
ptigue
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of ptigue
Pop has a set that are more toned down and not as garish as the others around. Worth a look at least.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Actually, the knives can be taken on a flight but they have to be in the baggage that goes into the aircraft's hold, NOT carry on bags for obvious ereasons.

Also ANOTHER vote for Mogar's knives.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2012-11-16 17:46, ptigue wrote:
Pop has a set that are more toned down and not as garish as the others around. Worth a look at least.

Actually, Pop's set is made by Joe Mogar. I have a set and love it.

Lawrence makes a great point about Chad Long's Flash. I use it as well. As usual, Lawrence's advice makes us all think beyond our normal tendency.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
ptigue
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of ptigue
Quote:
On 2012-11-18 01:09, Sammy J. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-16 17:46, ptigue wrote:

Actually, Pop's set is made by Joe Mogar. I have a set and love it.

Lawrence makes a great point about Chad Long's Flash. I use it as well. As usual, Lawrence's advice makes us all think beyond our normal tendency.

Sammy

Ahh! Thanks!

Go with Joe's everyone!

Phil
Card Detective
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Card Detective
Joe Mogar definately, but in an era when knives are often used as ofensive weapons Chad Long and "Flash" has come to the rescue. Flashis just great in the modern environment.
Fluent Spanish speaker, if I can help anyone, let me know.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know, Mogar is the best. No doubt about that. If just the basic black and white knife effect is what you want, $8 ain't a lot, and it does work:

http://www.hobbytron.com/Magic-Color-Cha......odylwAWQ

Doug
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
"Flash" looks soo cool. It is definitely my next buy. Can't wait to use it at my restaurant.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
I prefer FLASH by Chad Long : )
Card Detective
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Card Detective
Quote:
On 2012-11-20 16:17, theamazingsauce wrote:
"Flash" looks soo cool. It is definitely my next buy. Can't wait to use it at my restaurant.

Get an extra colour as well.
Fluent Spanish speaker, if I can help anyone, let me know.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
If you are still looking, you might want to visit the tricks for sale area. Just saw a set of Notary stag handle surprise posted there...
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
MOGAR not Notary (God I hate my autocorrect--must proofread!). And the knives sold last night--I hope to the OP!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Whats a good color changing Knife set to get? (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL