The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is 'Your' favourite stacked deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I've been working with the Simon Aronson stack lately as it has some very powerful applications - what stacks do you use, and more importantly, why?

Also, do you think magicians shy away from using stacked decks?

Thanks in advance!

:wavey:
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I use the Aronson stack because it was the first stack I found where there were no obvious patterns. I couldn't find a source for the Tamariz stack so Aronson it was. Smile

Aronson mentions that the reason many magicians shy away from using stacked decks is because they think they are too hard or impossible to memorize.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2002-05-18 12:24, Suffer wrote:
I use the Aronson stack because it was the first stack I found where there were no obvious patterns. I couldn't find a source for the Tamariz stack so Aronson it was. Smile


At the moment, there isn't an English source for the Tamariz stack. His book has been published in Spanish but is yet to be translated to English. Rumor has it that Stephen Minch will be releasing it soon... that is, unless another book on egg magic pops up! Smile

--Andi
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
I love using the Aronson stack myself but I just know one card effect with it.I think its called the Aronson stack makes good.I dont know but Ive got alot of good reactions out of people after doing this.I like to use a gambling patter with it betting the spectators that I can cut to four of a kind.Its usually the first effect I do when starting card routines at the table.Although there is alot preparing involed before hand but its worth it in the end.
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey Guys,
I love some of the effects using the Aronson Stack, but I haven't been able to use them while table hopping yet because I personally feel that I need a good complete false shuffle before I start using the stack in a working environment. I'm working on the Heinstein Shuffle at the moment but until it is perfected, my memorized deck work will remain only for casual performances.

Anybody who says they can't memorize a deck is copping out. There is a difference between can't and won't. It is significantly easier than learning just a new sleight and the doors it opens up are HUGE. I actually memorized the Aronson Stack in one day. Albeit it was a long day of travelling, but I got it done. I'm not trying to brag, but only show how much easier it is to memorize a deck than people seem to think. WELL worth the investment.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I agree, learning a stack order can be far more rewarding AND less challenging than a new slight. And the applications for such an order is tremendous!

What OTHER stacks do people use?

Smile
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
I have no idea what the stack is called but as soon as they pick a card you can tell what it is without seeing it. It's an awesome mentalism effect and can really catch people out.

Cheers

PT
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
756 Posts

Profile of leondo
We've had success with the Joyal stack. It's wonderful for our uses. If you do alot of poker type card tricks the Aronson stack would be superior I think.
The Joyal stack truely is easy to learn (The 6 hour memorized stack) but I do have to practice daily if we're not performing regularly.
Ted (Leondo)
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
756 Posts

Profile of leondo
Mr Flea,
I believe your talking of an "Eight Kings" or "Si Stebbins" ordered cyclic stack, however, the same effect could obviously be done with a truely memorized (knowing what card is at which numbered position in the deck) stack.

There has been many discussions about these stacks previously. Check the search engine.
Regards,
Ted (Leondo)
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
When you allow the spec to choose a card you don't have to count through any number of cards.

Would the truly memorised stack have any advantage over the one I mention?

BTW - Why was it given the names you mention for it?

Cheers

PT

Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
lchemist
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of lchemist
Quote:
On 2002-05-18 12:24, Suffer wrote:
I couldn't find a source for the Tamariz stack


The two Tamariz' volumes "Sinfonia en Mnemonica Mayor" can be obtained at http://www.librosdemagia.com/
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Actually, there are two English sources for the Tamariz stack. Both are on video. One is the 2nd volume of his Lessons in Magic series. It features a routine called 'Four of a Kind' and at the end of the tape goes through the stack. Also, in the 2nd (I think) of the A-1 Allstars tapes he performs a routine called 'Symphony in Major D' using his stack which is also explained.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
756 Posts

Profile of leondo
Quote:
On 2002-05-19 18:30, P T Flea wrote:
When you allow the spec to choose a card you don't have to count through any number of cards.

Would the truly memorised stack have any advantage over the one I mention?

BTW - Why was it given the names you mention for it?

Cheers

PT

Smile

Mr. Flea,
For the trick you are referring too, the truely memorized stack would probably have no real advantage over the cyclic ordered stack.

The "Si Stebbin's" stack is named after it's originator and the "Eight Kings" stack is named after the mneumonic used to remember it.

Ted (Leondo)
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of phonic69
And it is a stack I use for a very strong mentalism act, extremly versitile!

But are there any other really obscure deck stacks that can amaze people?

Smile

Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I use The osterlined stack which is pretty un spotable even to magi, but I also have it memorised, this way I can know a cards position through memory or like 8 kings I can identify a card through the system
this is great if you have not used the memorised section for a while or you get a memory blank you can still fall back on the stack.
phillip
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Do you know where I can find more info. on this stack? It sounds like a good one!

Smile Smile Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6576 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
There is a booklet called "The Breakthrough Card System" by Richard Osterlind. It was published by Jeff Busby in the early 80's, I believe, and should still be available from most major dealers of magic books or directly from Busby.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2002-05-19 14:12, P T Flea wrote:
I have no idea what the stack is called but as soon as they pick a card you can tell what it is without seeing it. It's an awesome mentalism effect and can really catch people out.

Cheers

PT
Smile Smile Smile Smile



You can perform this effect with any stack if you truly have memorized it. If using a cyclical stack such as Si Stebbins then you don't have to memorize anything. With either method, all it takes is cutting the deck at the point where the spectator selects the card. This is very powerful and with proper presentation. However, the downside is that it is too unbelievable and sometimes people will assume you used a marked deck.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I've had similar reactions when doing the effect you describe, how can it be avoided? Spectators all too frequently jump to what little magic knowledge they have and assume its a marked deck!!!

I end my routine by finding their card through a face up deck, so the idea of it being marked doesn't come into the equation.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest! Smile
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2002-05-21 01:23, phonic69 wrote:
I've had similar reactions when doing the effect you describe, how can it be avoided? Spectators all too frequently jump to what little magic knowledge they have and assume its a marked deck!!!

I end my routine by finding their card through a face up deck, so the idea of it being marked doesn't come into the equation.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest! Smile


This is what I do when I get the feeling that I'm doing magic to a tough cookie. I do an in the hands false shuffle first to show that cards are mixed and in no particular order. Do it nonchalantly as if it is of no importance whether or not the cards are mixed. I leave the deck in my left hand. I have my right hand opened palm up. With my head turned to either side, I ask them to cut the cards anywhere the want and place the cut off portion on my right hand. They are to take the top card of the left hand packet OUT OF SIGHT. I simply put the two halfs together completing the cut and proceed to read their minds. Now if they scream MARKED DECK..You say, "People always make that assumptions about magicians. I assure you these cards are not marked. However, I knew you would say the cards are marked, that's why I had my head turned, and on top of that, I had you take your selection OUT OF SIGHT. Go ahead check out the deck!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is 'Your' favourite stacked deck? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL