The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Booked" DVD review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
I just went down to The Magic Apple today and picked this up. I love book tests, so I was especially interested in this one.
Here is the link -
http://www.themagicapple.com/new-product......alentine
The effect description from the DVD is-
"Have you ever performed a gaffed book test and had someone yell ‘DO IT WITH MY BOOK!’ ? Well now you can, with Steve Valentine’s BOOKED!
On this DVD Steve shares his closely guarded secrets, honed through thousands of real world performances. You not only tell them the WORD they are thinking of, YOU PREDICT IT! ! ANYWHERE, ANYTIME and with ANY BOOK.
As a Bonus Steve reveals his extreme variations on the ‘Pegasus Page’ plot. Including the ultimate version where a freely chosen and SIGNED page is found RIPPED from a book and stuck to the OUTSIDE of a window. And the best part, you can give them the BOOK and PAGE to keep as a souvenir."

Ok, I knew what he must be doing to get the word, even if I wasn't sure how. I thought I had a guess, but I was wrong. His method is very, very, good and requires no sleight of hand.
He demonstrates the effect in several different ways, one a straight book test that I prefer, and others where the selected page is found missing after the reveal, usually in an envelope in the hands of a spectator or other location. Obviously this would work better oth a traditional magic routine.
Probably the best $30 I have spent in a while on a DVD.
So definitely recommended.
I'm new here, so I don't know what other things you might want to know, so feel free to ask.
Chris
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
I don't have access to the forum where the question about good book tests with a prediction was moved, but someone might want to tell the OP about this effect, it would be perfect.
Chris
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Some thoughts:
Do we need to use a playing card/business card, so something to put on the page?
If yes, it's not an improvement or something better as a normal version at all.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
Yes and no. He has a version that does not use playing/business card, but it is a variation of "Pegusus Flight."
He does have a version where the spec can choose the page, look at the word, and then if they want, do it again and get a different word, with a borrowed book. I am not aware of any version that allows that without using "your own book." And you can still get the prediction when you want, with a little more prep and planning.

Personally, they tiny fault I have with his presentation from the video,is if you tell the spec at the end of the effect that you predicted the word, why bother claiming you we're reading his mind 30 seconds ago? I mean, either one or the other, because if you knew what it was going to be, then, well, you weren't really reading their mind.
That's easily solved though. He also had a presentation not in the video where his "spirit guide" wrote the word on a blank page held by the spectator. Very reminiscent of Stewart James...
Chris
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Don't like it, a step backward.
Anyway you should put you review in the right section, not penny;-)
<BR>
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Not penny? Dollar better? Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Deutsche mark far better! Smile
<BR>
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Not sure looks like Ted k's million dollar book test.If that's the case myself and others have been doing for over twenty years.
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
It is a descendant of one of Al Baker's effects. He does have several significant improvements and ideas for it though.
Chris
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
So what does the spectator see exactly?you give him a book, choose a page look the first word and close it,or you have the book and riffle through the pages and he calls stop?what's the dynamic of the effect?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
The playing card in use... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
Mmmmmhh It sounds like a f***e with playing cards, I'd like to understand what's new to decide if buy instead of re-read some classic book Smile
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
This DVD is terrible plus he falsely advertises to. In His performance he uses no playing card until he explains it after.If he demonstrated with the card no one would buy it.Save your money guys better stuff out there like the MOAB. Save your pennies for the only book test you will ever need.
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
Quote:
In His performance he uses no playing card until he explains it after

Here we are with the same problem that afflicts a lot of trailers Smile
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Yep That's right he makes it look so clean and inviting .If he showed the playing card no one would buy it.Who uses a playing card to force a page .Lucky I did not buy viewed it at friends house pure garbage.Sad how many trap people with trailers falsely advertising .
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
It must be bad if you are saying it, Carl! Normally you are gushing about everything! (Sometimes annoyingly so!)

Thanks for the tip off.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Thanks for the warning, magicians must be the people who waste more noney than anyone, I have a cupboard full of things that promised the earth. Only to find when it arrived, I had been duped by good editing.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
In the trailer I saw a playing card twice only for a friction of a second, you have to look carefully, I stopped it twice and had a smile in my face... Of course it's old, it has been done also with postcards before which seems to be at least more organic. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Yes Steve it happens to all of us.Another one is Steve Fearson will never buy anything from him.He is constantly ripping off people.My friend bought his take of slow motion more money and does not do what he claims to do.Plus the Vernet is a kids one.Slow motion is far more superior .
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Jan I missed that plus it's as old as the hill.Funny thing Jan , Penguin send me their flash with all these guys from the magic castle saying it's the world greatest book test.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Booked" DVD review (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL