The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Other Medieval Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habbrock
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
Hey all, if anyone is looking for medieval playing cards I recommend this place http://historicgames.com/RPcards.html They have the Highlanders I see others using and they have earlier period cards for those of us who like the look of them. I perform at SCA (gasp) events for fun and like having the option of switching up my show to be as authentic as I can get it when I have an audience who appreciates such things. I usually go the route of making it look medieval and just focus on the audience having fun. The non-highlander cards are not coated so most flourishes are out. I haven’t been brave enough to see if powdering them will help. If I do I’ll let you know.
cbusch55
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of cbusch55
Are any of them aged ?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4573 Posts

Profile of Payne
The only useable cards on that site are the Highlanders. All the other decks look nice but they are printed on uncoated paper which makes them difficult to use for most card effects. I've used Highlanders for years. They are close enough to Renaissance era cards to pass. Especially at your average Ren Faire where historical accuracy is not a requisite. Highlanders are inexpensive and handle well. So I would recommend them above any other reproduction deck currently out there.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I agree with Master Payne. I have gotten all of the historic decks from that site and while they are nice in their own way, they are not terribly useful to a magician. However, they are fun to use in playing games, for which they are intended.

If there was a way to get those images onto good card stock with a nice finish, then they would be awesome! For the time being, I also recommend the Highlanders - very nice deck. Also, even though the Austrian deck at the bottom is not suited to pre-Victorian era themes, it is still an interesting deck and a nice one too for collectors.
Habbrock
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
The Highlanders are certainly the best cards on the site. I use the others during special performances and only rarely. The lack of a finish makes difficult to impossible and flourishes are right out. I still like using the non-highlander decks for my own reasons but most people will probably hate them. I should have been more clear in my initial description.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 11:18, Habbrock wrote:
I use the others during special performances and only rarely. The lack of a finish makes difficult to impossible and flourishes are right out. I still like using the non-highlander decks for my own reasons but most people will probably hate them.

I quite agree. The historic decks are not terribly useful to magicians, but that does not at all mean that they are useless - I use them myself from time to time too. There are quite a number of effects you can do with them where the finish of the cards is of no importance or does not adversely affect any necessary sleights.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Other Medieval Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL