The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » [honest review wanted] Psycho by Spidey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Hello everyone,

Seen this ? http://www.theory11.com/tricks/psycho-by-spidey
Looks too good to be true ! I am a bit shaken by all the reviews on the demo page, it seems too outstanding and too cheap for what it is.
I am wondering if this is something nice to play with and if it is a worker, or just big hype ! Anybody got this and will use it ? Could you review it ?

Thanks a lot,
Cheers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I'm sure I'm being overly critical, but how do the odds possibly equal a million to one?

Edit:
Oh, I just looked at the price. If that effect looks appealing to you, how could you possibly go wrong for $7?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Well I just don't want to make a compulsive order just because it is cheap... It bugs me a little ! Plus I like getting a bit more information to see if this is my kind of stuff.
To me odds look more like this : one in 52*99*6 = 30888 approximately if I understand the effect well. Feels close enough to the million ^^
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
I got what I needed, this is not a trick for me !
Josh Clarke
View Profile
New user
Portland, Oregon, USA
68 Posts

Profile of Josh Clarke
Even though you decided it's not for you, I'll post my honest review.

The effect:

Psycho is a demonstration of the power of the unconscious mind.
A spectator thinks of a random playing card, shape, and number. You proceed to reveal the playing card they thought of written on a piece of paper. This is only the beginning.
An IMPOSSIBLE coincidence. The odds are a million to one.
You remove the deck from the box, and you begin to deal the cards. Each one is shown to have a different shape and number written on the back - completely random. As you slowly turn over their selected card, the shape and number THEY thought of are mysteriously written on the BACK of the card.
Empower your audience. Control the future.
A rare effect that makes your spectators feel as if they can do magic. There's no way they could have known - but they did. This demonstration is proof. Brilliantly thought out and taught with over 40 minutes of detail - nothing is left to chance. An unbelievable piece of mental magic by Bedros "Spidey" Akkelian.

The review:

I am very pleased with this effect. First of all, it only costs $6.95. Now I know you could get a book at that price with many effects in it, but there are so many possibilities with this effect, it is well worth the money. The effect doesn't use any ground breaking new ideas, but it does present them in a way that is pretty unique. You are not limited to numbers and shapes on the backs of the cards. It can be anything that is simple to draw or write. The setup of the deck will take you about 2 minutes and then it is ready to go forever. There is also a little setup before each performance, but it doesn't take more than 30 seconds. You could setup in front of the spectators, but it is a little risky. Only very basic sleights are used, but a beginner may have problems because some misdirection and audience management are required. One of the f****s used may also be hard for beginners and may not always be 100% guaranteed. There is an option to use a different f***e, but I find that the effect isn't as powerful using it. You could perform this for a large group of people, but I wouldn't recommend it. You would have to be very careful if someone was behind you. This effect is much better on a 1 on 1 basis anyways. I love that there are two different magical things happening. One is performed by the magician and one is seemingly performed by the spectator. I would highly recommend this effect if you are comfortable with a little audience management and with f*****g. This can be adapted to so many different styles that it could fit into almost any magician's routine.
Josh-Clarke.com : Voices is available now!
Humester
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Humester
Quote:
On 2013-01-27 10:13, The.Amazing.Boy wrote:
I got what I needed, this is not a trick for me !

Any insight as to why the trick in not for you. I was considering the purchase.
Humester
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Too expensive for a French guy! lol
French want to know how it works to do it for free Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 11:37, Humester wrote:

Josh Clarke has written a very good and honest review. Thank you Josh ! It's a better mentalism review that anything I could write on a mentalism trick.
I am a bad person to listen to regarding mentalism reviews because I have a very particular taste in mentalism. It is not necessary that I explain myself more because it could give some people the wrong idea on a trick that could be good for them. If you like mentalism a lot, if you liked Josh's review and if this effect suits you, then go for it !

Quote:
On 2013-01-28 15:36, parmenion wrote:

A Swiss guy declaring war ? Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 12:13, The.Amazing.Boy wrote:
It is not necessary that I explain myself more because it could give some people the wrong idea on a trick that could be good for them. If you like mentalism a lot, if you liked Josh's review and if this effect suits you, then go for it !

Fair enough!

War averted?
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
The_Great_Dubini
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of The_Great_Dubini
I have to say that I have been Psycho for all of about a week and all I can say is that this thing KILLS. People are blown away when the card that they picked has their randomly thought of shape and number. The odds seem unfathomable. Did it at a gig the other night, and I literally couldn't perform another effect. They were just too blow away. One friend of mine, a sideshow performer who's seen and done it all, put it best: "That is just uncanny", as he sat and scratched his head.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Like the look ofit andfor $7 what have I got to lose ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Just downloaded this and think it is very good. I am not much of a card person, but will definately use this. The only sleight you need to use is well explained and there is an alternative if you find it difficult.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Hey George and Dubini,

I really don't tend to check the Café forums too often but I wanted to take the time to thank you guys for giving Psycho a try, I am happy you guys enjoyed it!

Dubini; I am VERY touched by your review and I am VERY happy you were able to get such strong reactions with it Smile

Thanks guys!
Spidey
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
748 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Hey Spidey, congrats on the recent releases. You've been putting out some solid material lately, so keep up the good work!

So I've thinking about alternatives to the shape and number combination. Any suggestions? What about instead of a shape you revealed a letter from the alphabet and a number instead? Do you think that would make the effect less strong? Would love to hear other people's ideas.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
OK I will try this one out Smile
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Hey Phatmeat,

a letter and a number work, and let me shed some light on something that might "click" something in your mind and open a pandoras box of presentation ideas....ready?....locker numbers! I have spent many hours thinking about an effect where a combined letter and number give a locker number from highschool. And here is a perfect opportunity to tie this in. It makes combining a letter and a number make perfect sense!

I honestly don't believe ANYTHING makes the effect weaker, a pin code, a made up zip code, a made up phone number, 3 initials (first, middle and last name), anything!

I only say 3 initials because if you put 2, the one they name might already be there, somewhere, waiting to bite you in the ***

Please let me know what you come up with, I would love to see Smile

Spidey
priyanshu
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of priyanshu
I love mentalism and I think I am going to buy this.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 12:13, The.Amazing.Boy wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 11:37, Humester wrote:

Josh Clarke has written a very good and honest review. Thank you Josh ! It's a better mentalism review that anything I could write on a mentalism trick.
I am a bad person to listen to regarding mentalism reviews because I have a very particular taste in mentalism. It is not necessary that I explain myself more because it could give some people the wrong idea on a trick that could be good for them. If you like mentalism a lot, if you liked Josh's review and if this effect suits you, then go for it !

Quote:
On 2013-01-28 15:36, parmenion wrote:

A Swiss guy declaring war ? Smile

Or, put another way...

To be Franc, a Swiss?

(badda bim, badda boom!)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » [honest review wanted] Psycho by Spidey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL