The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Razor blade illusion (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pollysukemaru
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
142 Posts

Profile of pollysukemaru
I saw a couple of magician performed this classic effect on youtube or somewhere, can't find the link. They perform in almost same way, where they don't swallow razors one at a time like normal way, but instead they put all razors in a wine glass, and pour wine in it and drink whole thing. After that, put a string in they mouth, and reveal the climax as normal.

Is this method marketed or any where I can learn it?

Does anybody know what I just describe?

Thank you.
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
I've seen it couple times on youtube and TV.
But I have never found it in market..

I wonder whose idea was to drink the liquid with razors in it.
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Vest Pocket Razor Blades works this way.

Kovari Razor Blade Trick also works like this.

Most will work either way, it is up to the performer as when signals are involved there is a little more work to it.

You can read this forum to see all the versions.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10
pollysukemaru
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
142 Posts

Profile of pollysukemaru
Thank you Bill!

Yes, I actually read the whole pages of the link you gave me. But not sure which one I can learn the routine.
Is there a particular product or anything for the routine I discribed above?
I will go for "vest pocket razor blades" since it's incredibly cheap, never go wrong.

Thank you.

atsushi
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would have to get out all the versions I have and go over them again, as I don't remember exactly about that detail of dropping in a glass. I vaguely remember one of the manuscripts something like that called "Shots" from Australia, again I am going by memory. It would have to be an opaque glass, there was a "needles" trick by Jim Steinmeyer. It was very expensive to make though. Had to use wine for the opaque effect.

Any of the effects with a stand has all the blades put in the mouth, then the thread.

I am not clear which actions you are wishing to do, as you are mentioning both actions and not being clear as to which you would like to do.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
When I was younger I did the EZ Magic Vest pocket one and it got a good response. Even though the entire group goes in, it doesn't affect the trick to the audiences eyes. Now that I look back at how I presented it, I put a lot of emphasis on showing each of the real blades one by one and showed how sharp they were. I placed each one on the side of the folder that was supplied. When I put the blades in mouth after the switch, the audience was convinced that they were the same.

I am not a fan of this, but when I did it, the audience always wanted to see it. I auditioned with this in high school just to get into the school talent show, but wasn’t going to use it for my set. That was until some girl requested it saying that I would win the talent contest if I put it in. I didn’t win. She did. Anyway, it still had a deep impact on the audience.
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Try Dan Sperry's "Always Remember To Floss." He gives you a great method and it is very easy/cheap to make.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Bizzaro's Helter Shelter DVD is quite good and covers a lot of razor blade methods.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Bizzaro By Design
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
90 Posts

Profile of Bizzaro By Design
Jeb is correct. Bizzaro put out a book AND DVD on the subject which is a great jumping off point for anyone wanting to learn the effect and then create their own unique presentation.
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
Sounds like the Tannen version sold in the 80s.
pollysukemaru
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
142 Posts

Profile of pollysukemaru
I've been looking for " vest pocket razor blades" for a while, but couldn't find anywhere. It seems like it is out of stock for long time and discoutinue.

http://www.ronjo.com/magic/011789.html

Does anybody know where I can get this?

Thank you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-03-28 19:47, pollysukemaru wrote:
I've been looking for " vest pocket razor blades" for a while, but couldn't find anywhere. It seems like it is out of stock for long time and discoutinue.

http://www.ronjo.com/magic/011789.html

Does anybody know where I can get this?

Thank you.

D. Robbins Novelty is the wholesaler, and they are sold out for some time now, over a years. They had them made in India previously.

I sold my extra set and only have one left.

If you don't want the blade holder gimmick, then Uday Magic of India is selling cheap version at the online stores.
pollysukemaru
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
142 Posts

Profile of pollysukemaru
I'm thinking to do the method of drinking a wine with razors in it.

Does the Uday version works that way? I know I need a m----t to switch the blades, so my question is more precisely, can I modify or apply the uday version for wine glass method?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can modify any of the version using a drinking glass. The set-back to this method is the magnet. It cost $100.00 or more, see Jim Steinmeyer publication on the needles, and that is only for needles. Safety first, even with safety razors. Smile
pollysukemaru
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
142 Posts

Profile of pollysukemaru
I think I know the working for the drinking method, and I have a strong magnet.
But I don't see why it costs that much. $100? why does it cost that much? you don't have to answer if it's something giving away the method, but I'm just curious.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You need a very powerful magnet for safety reasons. If you swallow a razor blade, the hospital cannot help you.

Why are they so expensive, simply because that is what they charge for them. You can ask them why their magnets are not cheaper or less expensive for you to buy.

Chazpro use to be the main Physic dealer in magic. He sold the magnet for $100. I checked his website for you, and he no longer carries or supplies the necessary magnets.

I did find the kind of magnet you must use. It has doubled in price.
I am providing the web address, so please click on the address and look at what I referenced for you. It now costs $262.76 for the proper magnet.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX0Y0X0-N52

You might be able to get away with this magnet for $101.43, but it would have to be tested.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX0Y08

These magnets are very dangerous as well. They can crush your hand if you do not handle them properly. If they get stuck to the wrong surface you may not be able to remove them, because of the strength of the magnet.

Now if you desire to learn more about my reference, click on this address:
http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/?cat=249

Now scroll down the page to the book titled "Conjuring Anthology", and buy that book for $65.00. This is a publication of all of Mr. Steinmeyer's articles he has published over the years, that were published in magic magazines. It describes his handling of the Famous Needle Swallowing trick made famous by Houdini. Which you just change it to Razor Blades.

I hope you can read my poor writing, as I try very hard to be clear in these posts.

Now if wish you can use the India model and work it as explained, this will be safer then drinking wine and using real razor blades.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiwJ901tVRw

Here is one place it is available.
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/blade-eati......996.html

There is now a lot of versions to this trick on the market. I suggest you do some searching and find one that will fit with your personality.

That's all!
pollysukemaru
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
142 Posts

Profile of pollysukemaru
Wow!! Thank you so much for spending your time, researching and writing!!
I really appreciate it. Yes, you covered everything I want to know. I've never thought magnets cost that much...

Thank you, Bill!
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
There are a few methods in Tarbell 4, I believe. Dan Sperry has a good one to- "Always Remember to Floss."
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
That is ridiculous. You don't need a 100$ magnet. You need a strong one (or many strong ones) yes but that is overkill to the extreme.
Official Thread Killer
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 07:31, Stucky wrote:
That is ridiculous. You don't need a 100$ magnet. You need a strong one (or many strong ones) yes but that is overkill to the extreme.

Yup. I have a neodimium magnet that I purchased for around 20 USD, lol. And that is a VERY powerful magnet we're talking about.

I do not use this method, tho. I use and swear by Tim Ellis' "Ultimate Blades" - The best and safest method, IMO. I devised my own version of the clean-up, guiding the andling towards my own routine, and it's a hge success. I should have a video of it in a couple weeks, since I performed it on TV and it should air soon.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Razor blade illusion (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL