The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Does it look familiar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3stfN_XFBI

A paper ball is hidden underneath one of the five cups. The performer correctly divines the cup with the paper ball. No gimmicks.

You can buy it here (translated):

http://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=......&act=url

Mike
andyfisher
View Profile
Veteran user
Norwich, UK
319 Posts

Profile of andyfisher
Looks interesting. The translation on the site however doesn't fill me with confidence that I would understand the nuances of the effect when explained! What do you know about the effect Mike?
'Reading people and bringing them together'

www.doodlemeatree.com
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I agree with what Andy said.
If it relies on nuances of language it may not come over in the instructions.

When I saw it I thought of TERASABOS.

steve
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Hi Andy,

This strongly reminds me of Rick Maue's "TERASABOS" from his great book, "The Book Of Haunted Magick".

Mike
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"But I invented it indy! Ummm... yeah its true I own Haunted Magic... but yeah, I never opened it... yeah... that's the ticket!"

"Wait, its been over 6 months since the book came out - doesn't that make it public domain?"

"Ooo... Rick Maue exists? I thought he was just a figurehead - so I didn't contact him!"

"People from other parts of the world actually checking up on me? I thought if I took it from another country... umm..I mean its a pastiche tribute! Yeah dats da ticket...."

"Look, I changed it from coffee cups to paper cups... and look I'm using a paper scrunchy instead... so its totally different!"

BOS indeed - in more ways than one.

Of course, it could all be a total coincidence and this is truly an independent creation that just seems 99% like TERASABOS..... yeah that's it!

FYI I don't see anything in this performance that is an improvement or innovation over TERASABOS..

Aside: proves again THE BOOK OF HAUNTED MAGIC is one of the most undersung tomes of hidden wonders... I even posted its praise in Emperor's thread a while back.

Yup.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
andyfisher
View Profile
Veteran user
Norwich, UK
319 Posts

Profile of andyfisher
Hi Tenchu - just pulled out Terasabos from a dusty pile of 'must look at this again' and was very pleasantly surprised! And I agree - this looks VERY similar doesn't it?!
'Reading people and bringing them together'

www.doodlemeatree.com
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Indeed, it does look just like Terasabos. This striking similarity was pointed out on one of the magic forums in 2011 where Mr. Arsene Lupin was a special guest (at that time there was no video performance available and everything was based on the effect description and stories from people who have seen the effect live). Here's his reply (translated):

"The trick you've mentioned may exist in similar form. I will check your sources. I have constructed this effect in 2008 after contacting and working with Alexander (Italian illusionist-author of RAI tv programs in the 80-90's.) The effect is based on principles used in illusion, I think almost all. This routine created ​​by me is my original creation. It would be a surprise for me if there was an identical effect somewhere. I know situations like that - but they weren't about my ideas.

I'll surprise you, but few people who are interested in mentalism are familiar with this effect.

As for the price: don't forget that Magiczny Arsenal offers, not urges to buy. The price is settled by the seller, and the industry does not sell the things that "everyone should have".

PS: Cups are not - as you called it, "unnecessary addition". Psychological subtlety of this effect would not accept this argument."

Best,
Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
So, no one sees a problem here?

Mike
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Wow! That Terasabos thing sounds pretty cool! (And, it is covered in complete detail on the upcoming DVD set that I shot with Banachek. Now that the L&L DVDs have been out for a couple of months, we're going to release the Maue/Banachek 2-disk set in May. I'll be announcing the pre-sale at the end of this month.)

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
That's awesome news! I was so disappointed I couldn't get down for the live show. Can't wait to see this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Does it look familiar? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL