The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Broken and Restored Watch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I have seen a few versions of this trick. I am looking to borrow a watch, destroy it and have it reappear later in the show. What is the best version? What is available on the market right now?

Thanks,

Curt
Magic is great
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Magic is great
I did a little checking around & couldn't find enough info to offer you much in the way of help. Maybe someone will chime in soon that can. I'd like to learn more about it myself now...
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
326 Posts

Profile of dragonash
The Collector's Workshop "Carnival Countdown" comes to mind. I doubt it is necessary to reproduce it right away.

I wish I could have afforded one when they were still available.
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Collectors Workshop made one with a food processor if I remember correctly. There is also a version where the watch is put in a sock and accidentally hit on the table. I also remember seeing something like a watch cleaner that ground the watch into parts.
Sorry about not knowing the names.

Hope it points you in the right direction

Ryan
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
862 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I got one from Trickshop.com awhile back. Sam Berland's Crushed Watch.
Jack Skalon

http://www.MagicByJack.net

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2461 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
In truth there seems to be next to nothing published regarding this classic effect.

Possible avenues to explore are;
A 'Just Chance' approach that appears to go wrong
An escape that has to be done within a certain time otherwise the watch will end up getting destroyed... and you escape just too late.
The blatant and wanton smashing of the watch apparently as a meaningless act of violence to make yourself feel better.

For the first my suggestion is putting your own watch, a really cheap beaten up watch and a spectators at risk. The idea being the cheapo watch will get chosen but both this and your watch come out unscathed.

For the second idea, maybe a timer with a release mechanism holding the spectators watch over a powerful blender. You need to escape to switch off the blender before the mechanism releases the watch into the blender... and you can use their watch to monitor the progress of the timing of your escape... which you fail to make.

Or for the third idea, borrow the watch and then calmly smash the living daylights out of it and claim you now feel better and then carry on.

The watch can be recovered from anywhere. nest of boxes, loaf of bread, sealed can of nuts or whatever.

These sort of routines are more about the script and routining of the business that leads to the watches apparent destruction, the action that then follows and the eventual recovery. I think this is why there's little available on the market for this iconic magicians trick... scripts, unlike tricks with props that involve gadgets and gizmos, aren't such a marketable commodity among a community that is most made up of individuals that, by and large don't perform this kind of stand up/stage material to a wide audience.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I liked Penn and Teller's version they did on Letterman. Where they smashed his watch and then brought out a display of several fish on ice like you would see in a market place. Then they had Letterman pick a fish and they cut it open and found his watch inside. If you want to know how it was done they revealed it in one of their commercially available books, I think it was How To Play With Your Food.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Sheffield, UK
142 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
The version that uses the food processor is called Wrist Watch Blendo and is 10 minutes of comedy gold - if performed well. It's not the quickest or easiest prop in the world to set up though. Collectors Workshop produced many routines for destroying and restoring a wrist watch and is perhaps your best source for this effect unless of course you fancy creating your own effect.

Other notable versions they produced include Big Shot, where the watch is fired from a minature cannon and reappers inside a wooden box. Relativity, where the borrowed watch is swung on the end of a rope in a bag and accidentally slammed into the floor only to appear later inside a food can, which in turn is inside a box on a table that's been in full view all the time. In a Gilded Cage, where the borrowed watch appears inside a gilt bird cage. Super Watch Grinder, a large polishing machine that destroys the watch during the process of cleaning it and of course the daddy of this effect, Carnival Countdown as mentioned earlier.

CW seemed to have a bit of a thing for this type of effect and if you can track down an original prop, all are good and the routining well thought out. They are becomming increasingly hard to find though.

Hope this helps.

Nick
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
I found a wristwatch blendo forsale a while back but missed out on the opourtinity to purchase before it sold to someone else.

Im still looking.

Ryan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20174 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually the wrist watch is going the way of many things today, Obsolete! Even if they own a watch, they don't were it do to those phones that do many things on the Internet, plus tell time. They seem not to realize that when the electronics go down, you will need to still know the time of day. It is said a nice wrist watch is still a symbol of status in society.

Probably, there is little written is because the pocket watch was the normal way to tell time, until the 1920's when the wrist watch appeared on the market for consumers. Another reason, would be that pocket watches were mechanical with gears and springs, and they were more likely to be broken if dropped even from a short distance. I don't think the magicians of the day, would care to buy their audience spectator a new watch.

The only wrist watch tricks I know of was Sam Berland's two egg bag type tricks he use to sell. One was for close up and one for stage.

The only genius broken watch effect is in Karroll Fox books. It read terrible and like it would not work, but I seen Karroll use it at a lecture and I was totally convinced. There is nothing else explained, just a method to break the watch.

Tommy Wonder as 3 versions in his books, but only one can be made easily using cardboard boxes. See them also on his DVDs.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
You're right Bill. Nowadays cell phones are probably more common than wristwatches. Does anyone know of a destroyed and restored cellphone effect?

If not, perhaps one of the older methods can be used or updated.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2461 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Bill, do you know one of the which Karrell Fox books?
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20174 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No I cannot remember, it is one published by Supreme Magic. I know that is not much help as they published 3 volumes I believe.

As I stated earlier, the descriptions are very light, so to see the real value of this, it was best to see Karroll Fox in action. It blue me away, and as usual with his material it is simplicity all the way.

Caliban
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Karrell Fox published his simple method for appearing to smash up a watch wrapped in a handkerchief in 'Another Book'. He later published an alternative method using a bag instead of a handkerchief in 'For My Next Trick'. The handkerchief method would probably be the more practical of the two for most Broken Watch routines. 'Another Book' also contains a gag item called 'Much Ado About Knotting' which can act as a lead in to a borrowed watch routine. You claim you will tie a bangle onto a rope with one hand and borrow someone's watch to time it. You then flick the rope causing the bangle to be hurled across the room, so you look for a replacement bangle to try again and decide to use the spectator's watch. Supreme Magic published five Karrell Fox books in all, of which, I think, 'Another Book' is the best.
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Thank you Caliban!
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
592 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4072 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
CW's "Relativity" could also be used with a cell phone. I just checked, and my iPhone fits into the sealed can that mysteriously is found inside a locked wooden box that has been in full view on stage the entire show.

"Relativity" is a versatile prop that can be used for things other than restoration of a destroyed item.

For example, I used mine for years in my resort shows was a Confabulation-type prediction trick. I had a person come on stage and act as a game-show producer. With some humorous by-play, they selected who will host their game show (famous person or even a friend), where the prize vacation would be (any place in the world), and the make, model, and color of the car that will be won. Then I open the locked box , removed the can (which was presented with a hokey pre-recorded announcer describing "IT'S A BRAND NEW CAN! AN AMERICAN MADE CAN! etc. etc.), opened it and inside was a large easy-to-read 2' X 3' prediction spelling out everything they chose. It was killer, and I used it for probably 10 years on and off at my summer resort bookings.

The only reason I am spilling this routine is that I am no longer doing stage shows, so I will be selling my Relativity. I have not advertised it anywhere, so if anyone is interested PM me. I think they originally sold for $1300-$1500, but no longer made. Excellent condition, works perfectly, and NO ELECTRONICS to fail! LOL! $700 + shipping, has an ATA case.

(Or email me at starrpower2001@yahoo.com )

Click here to view attached image.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7269 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Sam Berland had a good watch bag routine. The old days of pestel and mortar to grind up the watches, load it into a pistol and shoot it at a mirror where it breaks the mirror and reappears are only in collections now.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20174 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sam Berland had 2 excellent watch bag routines, one for stage and one for close-up.

Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Sheffield, UK
142 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Hey Starrpower

Sent you a PM.

Regards
Nick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Broken and Restored Watch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL