The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Strong repair for suitcase. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I have a suitcase that I have used for years. It has a nice busker look to it, not too fancy but not too beat up.

It is very light because it is made of something like very stiff cardboard. Not corrogetaed but very thin and very stiff and light. It does not look like cardboard because it has metal trim, hinges, and latches.

Unfortunately it has developed a crack or tear along the seem of the lid (the side that is highest when you lay the suitcase on it's back and open the lid.

The tear is right in the right angle and is about 8 inches long. The suitcase is so sturdy that I have used it for quite a while with this tear and it is hard to see most of the time unless you push in on the lid so that it deforms.

The repair has to be to the inside of the lid so that it doesn't show.

I have had a few thoughts and suggestions on repairing it and would like your input

1) Duct tape - I don't think it would stick well enough
2) Gorilla Duct Tape - Says it is designed to stick to rough and difficult surfaces.
3) Fiberglass - Might work. Someone told me there is something called wet fiberglass that is easier to work with.
4) Fiber Fix - http://www.amazon.com/FIBER-FIX-Strength......pd_ybh_5

The Fiber Fix looks promising but it is only shown in the add wrapping around things. In my case it would used to attatch the lid back to the lid lip in one straight line.

The repair would have to be thin enough to not effect the closing of the lid. In dimension a strip of duct tape folded lengthwise 90 degees is exactly what I need. I just think it needs to be stronger and stickier.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe what you have is a Fiber Case. This is usually a black cardboard that has been compressed to a very thin and strong thickness. They are usually assembled with metal edges and corners that are riveted into place. This fiber material is very hard to find companies that still make these cases. A New York company now has switched to a plastic ABS material.

If you have the cardboard version, then I suggest you get some very thin hobby plywood and use that to patch your crack. It will strengthen the lid as well. I believer Universal White Glue will bond very well with the wood and fiber board.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Bill that sounds like what I have exactly.

I can't picture how to use the plywood.

If you just picture my lid as a rectangle with a top bottom and two sides (ignore the lip running around it for a moment. Now lets call the top edge "line 1". Now put the lip on and you will see that "line 1" is right where the top edge meets the lip. The top isn't torn and the lip isn't torn. It's where they meet. The tear isn't all the way across "line 1" but only about a quarter of it starting at the left.

That's why I am picture something shaped like tape. If I put any wood of any thickness at all the lid won't close. Tape might be ok.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Mike,

Is there any way you can post some photos of this, showing the tear from both inside and outside the case?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You could also use mesh drywall tape and fiberglass to reinforce it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Fiberboard is very common and still very much in use. I would buy a fiberboard portfolio case and cut a section sized to line the suitcase lid completely. Glue this in and you retain the desired case properties while still repairing the damage. When gluing, clamp it together with magnets. Watch out for glue seepage at the crack.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, I understand the location of the tear, it is on the right angle seam. That is a tough spot to repair in most things. I thought it was on the top flat surface.

For that I would put a piece of right angle aluminum on the outside of corner edge fold-over, if that is possible. To make it look, not out of place you might do this on all the sides. I would just use a good epoxy glue. Don't forget to rough the aluminum on the inside for the glue to adhere to. Or you could just get some thin aluminum sheeting and use it as a patch on the inside, again a good glue will work on flat surfaces and reinforce the edge. Depending on how long the tear is, if it under 10 inches long, you can get very very thin aluminum sheets for little cost at hardware stores and hobby shops.

Richard Hughes has a good idea as well. You could use that drywall tape or just go ahead and use fiberglass cloth. You can get a small kit at most auto parts stores. Most even come with the applicator. Just go slow and take your time, to do a good job.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
You might try bookbinder's tape. Reinforce both inside and outside of the case, then add additional pieces to the outside of the rest of the top so they match.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Lots of great ideas. Thanks.

Michael Baker, I will try to post a couple of pictures.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
I know for a fact that gorilla tape is some wicked sticky stuff! I have used it for many projects. And it is not going to come off for some time. I would also reinforce the "tear" from both sides if possible.

Trey
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
I have a similar case that needed a repair on the outside bottom. Fiberglass did the trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Strong repair for suitcase. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL