The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Lengthening Routines (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NateReeves
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of NateReeves
Hey guys,

I would like to add some length (time) to my tricks and routines as I feel they just seem to fly by. Do you guys have any tips on doing this? Are there any books on this topic I should check out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
drewer
View Profile
New user
NoVa
100 Posts

Profile of drewer
Lengthening the routine can be done in quite a few ways. Of course you can add more magical climaxes to it. You can also add more to the presentation through showmanship or weave stories around your magic. Having a spectator have you help you can enable you to lengthen the trick with dialog. I would recommend either "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz or "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms. Both books have a lot of theory about how to add showmanship and make better routines. I would highly recommend you reading both books, if you haven't already.
Some magicians perform more tricks than others, it really depends on each magician's performing style. You should have a variety of lengths of tricks throughout your show, which is explained in the books.
And if you think the tricks fly by because you're rushing, then you should just relax during your tricks and try to go at a slower pace. Also, the tricks may fly because time flies when you're having fun, which is definitely a good thing for magic.
I hope this helps. Get the books! They can explain it much better than I can.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Some of that may have to do with the types of effects you're performing. What are you currently performing.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
NateReeves
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of NateReeves
@drewer thanks for the suggestions. Strong magic will be my next magic purchase.

@motown The main tricks I perform are acr, triumph, one coin routine, sandwich routine, extreme burn, crazy mans handcuffs, and multiple card revelation. I want to try to add more patter in them but I'm not really sure what I should say.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Sometimes the best thing to do is slow it down, let each moment sink in, rather than fill the void with talking. Most magicians work to eliminate unnecessary patter for a reason. Laymen don't want to hear you talk, they want to see the magic! If nothing else, (and I don't know if you do or not), don't use narrative patter, i.e. "I will now take the card, put it in the deck....I have a red handkerchief, I will now...

If you want your magic to take a bit more time, then give the audience pauses, to take it all in.

You ever get to the end of a good book or movie? Last thing you want is someone talking about it to you immediately afterwards while you're still trying to process it.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Good advice, Herr Tabor!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
thethirteensteps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of thethirteensteps
Pete McCabe's Scripting Magic is also a good resource for developing routines. Some of the best magicians in the world give their insight into this.
tmills27
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of tmills27
Quote:
On 2013-07-10 17:15, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
Sometimes the best thing to do is slow it down, let each moment sink in

I think this is really good advice. I try my best to do things slowly and fluidly, letting the spectator see the moves I want them to see, plus an extra pause for them to process it in their brain. When nervous, and the heart is beating fast, it's hard to "slow down". I find the effects much more astonishing if performed like I just overdosed on valium, and I'm almost going in slow motion. Not exaggerated like that though Smile
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Tell a story.

Magic is best conveyed on the wings of a well told story.

And it is easy to expand/contract a story to shorten or lengthen a routine.

The magic is still there, and should be well performed, but people will remember the story.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On May 19, 2013, NateReeves wrote:
@drewer thanks for the suggestions. Strong magic will be my next magic purchase.

@motown The main tricks I perform are acr, triumph, one coin routine, sandwich routine, extreme burn, crazy mans handcuffs, and multiple card revelation. I want to try to add more patter in them but I'm not really sure what I should say.

If you are not sure what you should say perhaps your tricks are good the way they are.

Or, interact with the spectators more. Pause, ask them questions. Multiple card revalation is what it is with built in patter.

Look at David Blaine,"...pick a card, remember it, now, put it back." Not much patter there.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The three "Ts"! TEMPO...TIMING...TIME are all a part of PRESENTATION! --the PERFORMER, and his PRESENTATION are always more important than the PROP! A PROP is basically something that a performer uses to illustrate "what he is talking about".

The success of a PROFESSIONAL'S PRESENTATION are closely related to the three "Ts".

A major factor in a PROFESSIONAL'S PRESENTATION, is KNOWING WHEN TO PAUSE!!! (Study comedians like Jack Benny and/or George Burns. or magicians like Jay Marshall (especially his "Lefty" routine!)

Another factor is knowing how to PAD! Padding is not stalling! Padding is "inserting" (for example) an extra adjective or adverb to one's lines.

Avoid excess padding! (The speaker ahead of Abraham Lincoln spoke for several hours! (who was he?) Lincoln spoke for just a few minutes. His Gettysburg Address is a classic.

Too many amateurs (I saw one's "performance" --hekk no!--It was a "demonstration"==last Tuesday.)just "talk". They never heard of "scripting"!

I had a professor who taught us to use a sentence instead of a paragraph, a clause instead of a sentence, a phrase instead of a clause, a word instead of a phrase. EDITING!

Too many "magicians" earn the "Chinese" billing: Onn Tu Long! --Don't go past "the end"!

May I suggest re-reading friend drewer's Herr Brian Tabor'sm "13 steps", John C.'s, Doctor Cognnos' and tmills27's posts again!

The running time of your trick--or your show--is definitely related to how long you can ENTERTAIN your aucience!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
Great advice guys. I just bought "Magic and Showmanship"
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I worked a whole month in a one week gig in Biloxi, Mississippi, The Ace of Clubs, a strip joint. The "ladies" would dance if they were not in the audience 'B' drinking with the airmen from Kessler AFB (the club made more money selling drinks with a pretty lady at your side). I often went 30 minutes between dancers doing one liners and stretching out tricks. If you have never heard a joke echo off a wall, this was the place to be. Plus the usual "bring on the girls" catcalls from the audience ws a real learning experience. Thank you, Robert Orben.
The clubs on Bourbon street were more fast paced with lots of tour busses going thru every hour and no need for the ladies to work the audience.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm a little late following Jim's great story, just above, but, that line about a joke "echoing off a wall" reminded me of Mitch Cain who was working a strip club in Minneapolis about 20 years ago.

The "girls" would stall in their "dressing" room, leaving him to fill. He finally bought a loud alarm clock and put it on his prop table. When it rang, he would announce the next act. The girls learned to be "ready"!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Great stories!
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I would add one more thing to think about. Who are in non-performing life? How do you come across? Are you a fast-talking New Yorker like Harry Loraine of more slow and deliberate like DMC? Take that into consideration as you think this through because it can inform the padding or trimming you do.

And I certainly second Dick's points of editing and slowing down - that is usually more the problem with performers. They talk too much and don't let the audience marinate in moments of magic or give applause cues.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
9 to 5 theory
Most magicians acts would be much better if they would be able to tighten their 9 minute routines into tight 5 minute pieces. In many cases we tend to keep too many bits and pieces in routines that don't get laughs or reactions all the time. We just like them ourselves and we are blinded by the fact that they work sometimes. So skin off the fat and have a really tight 5 minute piece and you are far better off than having 9 minute piece that is just good. You can easily get thst 4 minutes back by doing extra piece on that saved time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Lengthening Routines (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL