The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Nu Sense principle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Hello everyone. I was hoping that someone here could trace the origin of the switching procedure used in Alain Nu's "Nu Sense." Alain comments that it's an old procedure, but doesn't directly credit its source. I'm working on a new routine that utilizes this procedure, and I'd like to have an accurate crediting reference. It's similar to a somewhat well-known Bob Hummer principle, but is definitely not the same thing. If anyone knows, the info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Blau
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Can you elaborate a bit more on this principle. an example will help for those of us who are not familiar with the Alain Nu routine
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I'll have to disagree with Ben on this one. I no longer have the Hummer book, but if I'm not mistaken the exact same procedure that Nu uses, is in there. The presentation may be a bit different but I believe the MO is the same.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
John:

Unless we're thinking of different Hummer principles, they definitely seem different to me. The Hummer procedure does bear a strong procedural resemblance, though, due to the switching of the items behind the performer's back.

In the Hummer procedure, they switch the items and tell you which ones they switch until the last exchange, which is kept secret.

In the Nu-Sense procedure, the parameters are different. In fact, the performer doesn't necessarily know if and/or when switches were made at all.

Also, the outcomes of the procedures are different. The Hummer procedure allows for a divination of a thought-of object, while the Nu-Sense procedure guarantees a specific resultant arrangement of three objects -- something the Hummer procedure does not accomplish.

Were you thinking of something else perhaps?

Ben Blau

Hi Nir:

The Nu-Sense effect, as described in his book, involves three borrowed objects: a ring, a watch and a key.

These are mixed while the performer's back is turned, and the performer has the spectator make some switches according to a certain procedure.

In the end, the arrangement of the three objects corresponds to a prediction the performer has made, in a way that seems to greatly defy the odds.

If you are intimately familiar with Bob Hummers 3 Object Divination principle, you'll surely see a similarity, but when you compare both procedures carefully, you will probably find (as I have) that they really are quite different - not only in procedure, but in what they actually accomplish.

Ben Blau
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Hi Ben,
Thanks for your response. Since I don't have access to the book (It's on it's way to Nir) I can't confirm my statements above. If I'm not mistaken, I may have written a note in the book itself referencing the Nu effect. Perhaps when Nir gets it in his hands he can take a look and let me know. Then again,perhaps I'm way off base with this one.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
This thread has been dormant for a while, and I have found a little more information on the source of this procedure.

Apparently, there is an effect by Jack Yates in Martin Gardner's "Mathematics, Magic and Mystery" which utilizes the principle. He states that it was "inspired by" the Hummer principle. That makes sense to me. I read about the Yates effect indirectly, in Paul Curry's "Worlds Beyond" book. Does anyone have more information on the Yates effect?

Ben Blau
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Doug Conn has some work on the Yates method in his current lecture. Contact Doug for more info.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Nu Sense principle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL