The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a Glorpy (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I'm looking for my first Glorpy to use for two effects.

Should I just buy the first one I see, or are there a difference between quality and functionality?

Thanks
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
You can purchase any of the many versions of the original for $10 or under...or you can get a "Ghostly Hank" from Fabric Manipulation (Lynetta Welch) for under $50 and be really impressed with a well thought out prop.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
#1 - I would say hold out for an "original" Glorpy. IMHO they are better than some of the variations.They did come with a variety of fabric choices - all patterned. I have seen them offered on eBay and more particularly on the Facebook group, Surplus Magic Exchange - as well as the buy and sell forum on the Magic Café. Glorpy has always been one of my favorites because of the animation - something that makes it a superior trick. Good luck.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2013-06-15 07:36, Stanyon wrote:
You can purchase any of the many versions of the original for $10 or under...or you can get a "Ghostly Hank" from Fabric Manipulation (Lynetta Welch) for under $50 and be really impressed with a well thought out prop.

FWIW

Under $50? This is a $10 effect at best. I have hyrum the haunted hank in my catalog for $6.50 retail. Glorpy is still available thru Fun, Inc and carried by their retailers. $7.50
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magical expressions
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magical expressions
Euegene Burger sells his 'Spirit Scarf' for $30 which might be worth your consideration.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I have a Tenyo version that I really like. I'm not sure if it's still sold, but I like the cloth they used. The pattern is much more subdued. I think Burger's is a solid color.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2013-06-15 08:51, magicians wrote:
Quote:

FWIW

Under $50? This is a $10 effect at best. I have hyrum the haunted hank in my catalog for $6.50 retail. Glorpy is still available thru Fun, Inc and carried by their retailers. $7.50

Did you read the whole response? I mentioned the original version, "Glorpy", as the first option and did say it was $10 or under, I like to err on the high side so people selling for less can look good. The OP can do his research and make his own informed choice.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
...you can get a "Ghostly Hank" from Fabric Manipulation (Lynetta Welch) for under $50 and be really impressed with a well thought out prop.

Lynetta is FANTASTIC! Check her site:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/

Watch the video of her performing it:

https://www.fabricmanipulation.com/video.html

Doug
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2013-06-16 11:11, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
...you can get a "Ghostly Hank" from Fabric Manipulation (Lynetta Welch) for under $50 and be really impressed with a well thought out prop.

Lynetta is FANTASTIC! Check her site:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/

Watch the video of her performing it:

https://www.fabricmanipulation.com/video.html

Doug

Well, I think you all have led a sheltered life. That demo is the standard demo we all did when Glorpy came out. I did it exactly that way in the 80's plus a few other moves. I guess its all relative. If you were not presented with a good demo when you first saw it, the right one comes along and its a "new-to-you" miracle.
The solid material is the only difference, otherwise its the same old same old.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I remember I was doing Glorpy back in the seventies. Mine was larger then the one supplied by Fabric Manipulation, in silk & a light poka-a-dot pattern. Lynetta does a nice job but it is the standard version.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Yeah, we've all lead sheltered lives. Let's see, with "Glorpy" or "Hyrum" or "Haunted" you get a bent something. Lynetta's is an articulated something (articulated as in jointed, having joints...according to Webster's).

I'm done!

Toodles!!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2013-06-16 17:02, Stanyon wrote:
Yeah, we've all lead sheltered lives. Let's see, with "Glorpy" or "Hyrum" or "Haunted" you get a bent something. Lynetta's is an articulated something (articulated as in jointed, having joints...according to Webster's).

I'm done!

Toodles!!

Yes, I see what you mean. At the end of Lynetta's version she is able to bundle the hank up into something of a ball. With the old Glorpy this could not be done. Anyway, good point.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2013-06-16 17:19, wandboy wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-16 17:02, Stanyon wrote:

I'm done!

Toodles!!

Yes, I see what you mean. At the end of Lynetta's version she is able to bundle the hank up into something of a ball. With the old Glorpy this could not be done. Anyway, good point.

I think you are reading into that. Unless you own one, its a good guess. Some have made the gaff out of romex wire part caing part wire, but I really think that was the handling rather than a unique gimmick.
In any case, any copy or glorpy like device is a knock-off in my book.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Do your research Ian. If you don't know, don't disparage.

Taa-taa!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Sorry.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob Little sold one called the "Hatboro Haunted Hank." IMHO, it's the best I have seen. I have not seen Lynetta's. However, Bob's used a very thin black silk handkerchief without a pattern. The gaff was articulated.

Glorpy came out in the 1960's, and was followed by Hyrum. Bob's version came out in the 1970's.

Bob's can be folded into a smalls square, because of the articulated gimmick, and the gaff is constructed in such a way that there is barely any movement at all required to make the movement happen.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
As mentioned above, the Fabric Manipulation version has a joint, which not only allows the handkerchief to be rolled up into a ball, but enables the "ghost" to be slowly crushed down flat, something that is not possible with the original. A small point, which might fool magicians, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference to a layman. It does look good, though.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I will go ahead and buy one from Fabric Manipulation. I'm a sucker for expensive and good quality props Smile
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
So does anyone remember the Glorpy final load?

It was a 3 inch sponge ball with a hat, eyes, and feet, and when you squeeze the back the mouth would open and a pink tongue would flap about.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Yes I remember those well, Haines sold a ton of them as demonstrated by Paul Rolling, I have been using a final load ever since but something far different.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a Glorpy (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL