The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Darwin Ortiz memorized deck magic (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I'm unsure of what book to get by Darwin Ortiz on memorized deck magic. I have a lot of Simon Aronson's books (All except Aronson Approach and Sessions) and I notice that Simon has this "hands off"/mentalism look to it which I like. But I was hoping that Darwin Ortiz has some material that doesn't look so much like mentalism. Does anyone know what book I should get? If he doesn't then that's fine but I've heard good things about his memorized deck stuff so if someone could also give a description of an effect or 2 that would be great.

Dave
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
There are many memorized stack effects in Darwin Ortiz's book Scams & Fantasies. I'll just quote two from the book.

One trick that uses a memorized stack is Maximum Risk. The descirption from the book is as follows: "A spectator selects a card. The performer then repeatedly eliminates half of the cards until only one remains. This proves to be the selected card."

Another is "the Last Laugh" ---"The performer claims that he can instanly trap and card the spectator names between two face-up cards he holds. It appears, at first, to have all been a gag. But, eventually the performer makes good on his claim in an amazing way."

Also, if you are into mneumonics, you can perform "shark attack" Quote- "Starting with a shuffled deck, the performer offers to demonstrate how a professional can gain an edge at poker using either psychology or sleight of hand. First, he identifiesa spectator's card by reading his tells. Then he produces any poker hand requested by a spectator by cutting to the required cards. Finally, he deals himself any hand called for in a poker game, then improves it to a royal flush."

I hope that helps you out.
Who is John Galt?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Read my small review for: Scams & Fantasies here:
http://www.mastermagic.info/articles.php?articleId=2
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
I agree. Take a look at Scams & Fantasies. It was one of the best books I could buy this year.

As Dave said, Darwin´s effects with a memorized deck are great because they don´t seem mentalism. And I will add too because they are direct, powerful, and very magical effects.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I agree,Scams & Fantasies is great, don't forget his routine in there called "ZenMaster"
-Chris
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
There are 4 mem deck effects out of 30 in his scams and fantasies book. aronson's work on the topic is better IMO. but that doesn't mean scams isn't good...it is excellent. I really like his liar's poker and some of this other stuff.
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Yes, besides the 4 memorized deck effects, Darwin has a ton of killer material in the book. The Brush, for example always makes heads turn and make you out to be a professional.
Who is John Galt?
Sanj Singh
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Sanj Singh
Scams and Fantasies is one of the best magic books I've ever read - the stack stuff is good, tricky, but worth practicing. The other stuff is just as good - if not better. Highly recommended.
Jack Crafter
View Profile
New user
Kent, England
62 Posts

Profile of Jack Crafter
I second Chris Thibault on this one. Zen Master is brilliant. Very hard hitting and well thought out Smile.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Right on, Jack! Zen Master is an absolutely incredible routine. If you learn it and do it, I think you will have gotten your moneys worth from the "Scams and Fantasies" Book. Unless you are left handed, you will need to come up with a little something for the very beginning of the routine. If you like, PM me as I have a couple of ideas I would be happy to share.

Dennis Loomis

Call me "Denny"
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
S&F has some killer material. Just stay away from that inane handling of Smiling Mule.

Justin
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
S&F has some killer material. Just stay away from that inane handling of Smiling Mule.

Justin
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
You can get a download from Vanishing Inc. right now as well.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2012, SIX wrote:
You can get a download from Vanishing Inc. right now as well.

Here's a link in case anyone's interested: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ed-deck/
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
This routine is a killer effect, Last Laugh by Darwin Ortiz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIRPYI9wb0

One of my favorites, ever...
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Test Your Luck by Darwin Ortiz, a very good memorized deck routine.
Effect: A spectator names any card. She then inserts a random card anywhere into the deck.
In the process, she herself locates the card that she named.

Page 255 in Lessons In Card Mastery.

This effect is a true worker, I have done the effect 100s of times since I bought the book.
I give Test Your Luck 10 out of 10.

You can also learn the effect from this excellent video download:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3738
LoïcJ.
View Profile
New user
France
83 Posts

Profile of LoïcJ.
Yes, I agree with Kjellstorm.
In his last book "Lessons in Card Mastery" there are around 30 effects. Maybe one third of the tricks requires a mem deck. I think it's a good place to start !
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
Got the Test Your Luck from Vanishing Inc. loved the effect and handling is great. I've been looking for a Mem deck effect for estimation and this fits the bill great.

GreeKnight
Ahlichs
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ahlichs
I really love his "Card Sense". It's in Lessons in Card Mastery, as well as his At the Table Lecture, and the "Darwin Ortiz on the Memorized Deck" download. Really great effect, plays well for groups.
avasatu
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of avasatu
Lessons in Card Mastery contains the most workers overall, but Scams has things like Zen Master, of which I think you should be aware.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Darwin Ortiz memorized deck magic (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL