The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Art Vanderlay-Positive Positive: 100% accurate every time (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 18:14, Martin Pulman wrote:
Hi Art,

I quite agree that the brilliance of your effect is that it has finally made this plot 100%. It is, in one sense, a holy grail solution.
My little add on is strictly for those who like to add a bit of "jazz" for a tiny adrenaline buzz.
I actually failed today for the first time (was getting cocky Smile), but just said "You know what, let's just make **** ******** ***** **. That's more interesting." And it flew right past her! The final reveal is so strong, she was amazed.

Thanks for a PERFECT effect,
Martin.

Yea Martin, I was thinking that if it did fail, you could easily do that and no one would mind.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
My opinion differs a bit from most of the one's here. I don't think this is a bad effect, by any means, but I do think eliminating some issues have introduced others.

Good
- I love effects that can be done with no set-up and this one is exactly that. Pen and paper and you're ready to go.
- Effects don't get much easier, technically speaking.
- I think it will fool most people.

Not so Good
- In order to make this 100%, Art had to add another element to the procedure. And it's an element that the more analytical spectator's may question (if not during the trick, then after). And they might say, "What was the point of ___________?" And if they do that, it's a pretty straight line to [i]part[i/] of the explanation to this effect.

Martin's suggestion adds an element of chance to this addition to the procedure, which I think helps disguise what is going on, but it does introduce a chance of it not being 100%.

So, while I think this is a decent trick, at a fair price, it doesn't replace the version I use, so it wasn't worth the $10 for me personally.

(The version of Positive/Negative I will continue to perform is actually John Bannon's. It was in Magic magazine about a year and a half ago (he's on the cover). It is dead easy to perform. Works 100% of the time. And you are left clean at the end. (Either literally clean or "psychologically" clean -- meaning the only thing "dirty" is not something a spectator would associate with the workings of the trick.))
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Magicsquared - Thank you for your comments! I really mean that!

I agree with your comments regarding how I came to the solution of making this 100% by adding another element to the procedure however I have to disagree that an analytical spectator can backtrack this effect. Presented properly and NO ONE should suspect anything.

If a spectator is asking questions regarding the method then it is the performers fault and not the effects. (Not attacking you, that's just the way it is with ALL mentalism effects)

John Bannon's version is very very good I will admit, and if you feel better using that version then at least you will feel better and get better results.

Thank you for your feedback, its good to hear some criticism for a change! hahaha, No hard feeling chief and I hope you go back to it one day and think "Ya know what? Its not that bad!" Smile

Cheers,
Art.
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 18:14, Martin Pulman wrote:
Hi Art,

I quite agree that the brilliance of your effect is that it has finally made this plot 100%. It is, in one sense, a holy grail solution.
My little add on is strictly for those who like to add a bit of "jazz" for a tiny adrenaline buzz.
I actually failed today for the first time (was getting cocky Smile), but just said "You know what, let's just make **** ******** ***** **. That's more interesting." And it flew right past her! The final reveal is so strong, she was amazed.

Thanks for a PERFECT effect,
Martin.

Hahahaha fantastic Martin!

Even when you're wrong, you're still right!

The competition for the FREE eBook on book tests has now closed.

The winner will be communicated with via PM.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Cheers,
Art.
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
"Presented properly and NO ONE should suspect anything"

Really? Then this would be the only trick ever created which that could be said about. You know the old saying, 'you can't fool all of the people...'.

"If a spectator is asking questions regarding the method then it is the performers fault and not the effects. (Not attacking you, that's just the way it is with ALL mentalism effects)"

That is flat out ridiculous. There is such a thing as a bad trick, I always find it amusing when people say things like 'oh you're not a good enough performer to pull it off, blah, blah, blah'. It's true that there are good and bad performers AND good and bad tricks, but suggesting a performer has a lack of ability for not liking your effect is ludicrous and arrogant.

I was reading through this thread with the intention of purchasing this trick, but after reading your last post I think I'll give it a miss thanks chief. Your post has given me a good idea of your experience and attitude...I think my 10 bucks will be better spent on a coffee and a muffin.

No hard feelings though, good luck with your career in ebook sales...oh, and the performance of mentalism. Smile
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
That's fine by me!

Not every effect is for everyone. Enjoy your coffee and muffin Smile

No hard feelings at all. (And I wasn't suggesting the poster has a lack of ability and that is the reason for not liking my effect - read my post again)

Cheers,
Art.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Of course there are bad tricks. Even Chan Canasta would struggle to make the old Killer Red Caps credible!

But I think any problems with the extra element in Positive Positive can be fixed with a little tweak of the routine and patter. I start off with three little imaginary piles of coins for instance and proceed from there. That means that I am in play from the beginning. I add in my little bit to make reverse engineering impossible, but it certainly isn't necessary and may in fact be overkill. The effect uses one of the most brilliant and simple techniques in our art in a cunning way that will make you slap your head that you didn't think of it.
Anyone unsure of this should take the gamble. It is fairly priced, especially compared to a lot of mentalism ebooks. Too many of which turn out to be DR or/and IS applied to close up effects.
This is a terrific little experiment to conduct impromptu or early in your set as an early indicator of your persuasive powers.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I tried this out for the first time this afternoon on my son. For some reason - I don't know why - he is a little suspicious of the things I do and present. But he was greatly impressed with how it all worked out saying, 'that's very good.' That, from my son, speaks volumes.

I included Martin's idea but was able to use a ruse or line from Art which is absolutely brilliant in an either/or situation.

Given the reaction and way the whole effect flowed this is going to be a nice addition to my repertoire.

Neil
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2013-07-14 17:05, NeilS wrote:
I tried this out for the first time this afternoon on my son. For some reason - I don't know why - he is a little suspicious of the things I do and present. But he was greatly impressed with how it all worked out saying, 'that's very good.' That, from my son, speaks volumes.

I included Martin's idea but was able to use a ruse or line from Art which is absolutely brilliant in an either/or situation.

Given the reaction and way the whole effect flowed this is going to be a nice addition to my repertoire.

Neil

Great thing to know Neil! Hope that you can have more great moments Smile

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Hahaha I have the "Wife Test" and if it gets past her, its good enough for public testing!

NeilS - Tell your Son "Thanks!" from me! I am really pleased you like this effect.

With so many subtleties coming my way I think an expanded and very in depth Version 2 might have to be started at some point. Every day I am sent new presentations, extra subtleties and brilliant twists on the effect that some of these NEED to be published!

Thank you again everyone!

Cheers,
Art.
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
I'm either very honest or very stupid but I just wanted to chime in an inform people that Carmean purchased this effect from myself and left a review on this topic.

There was a slight bit of unintentional exposure of one of the methods in his original post so I requested Carmean edit his post which he very kindly did, however it seems the whole post was removed!

I believe that even though Carmean's review was not favorable to my effect, it is still a worthwhile review and I don't want anyone to feel like their opinions on my effects are not being shared or being heard and I take every bit of criticism into account, so what follows is a slightly edited version of his review (The only thing I have edited is the accidental exposure)

"This forum is great!
I bought this and then started reading through the posts and picked up a lot of valuble tips.
Magicsquared suggestion of looking at john Bannon's version, which I did, has given me more of what I was looking for.
I already carry something similar in my pocket so the Bannon version is just the ticket.

Thanks everybody.

Kevin"

So...............

Thank you for your feedback Kevin, I am very sorry my effect isn't to your liking and I wish you all the best with John Bannons version. It is very good!

Thank you to everyone else for your support of this effect too. Some love it, some think its not for them, haven't had anyone hate this yet but I'm hoping I can catch someone on a bad day!

Cheers,
Art.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Good for you, Art. That shows real integrity.
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Preston, England
382 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
Yep, nicely done Art.
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
In an earlier post, in my excitement, I unintentionally said too much, which Art kindly sent me a private message pointing this out and I happily requested that my post be removed.

Art has a great take on this classic effect and well worth the purchase.
Martin Pulmans free suggestion is also a nice addition as well.

Kevin
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 09:56, carmean wrote:
In an earlier post, in my excitement, I unintentionally said too much, which Art kindly sent me a private message pointing this out and I happily requested that my post be removed.

Art has a great take on this classic effect and well worth the purchase.
Martin Pulmans free suggestion is also a nice addition as well.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for your feedback and I hope that you learn with "Positive Positive" far more than a simple and direct routine, rather a way to create an appealing script and experience for your participant.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
Nefesch
View Profile
Special user
El Salvador
611 Posts

Profile of Nefesch
I read today "positive positive"
I found it to be very POSITIVE <= no pun intended
and very straight forward.
Only one card is use, there are no switches whatsoever and it plays perfect all the time.
Nice work the one you have made here Art!

Nefesch
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Quote:
On 2013-07-11 08:47, Funnybaldbloke wrote:
[...]
I've just recieved a pm from Martin with his ideas on how to make this less then 100% accurate and I have to say its brilliant. [...]

Erm... what? The effect as presented is 100% accurate due to the separation of the choices. Why would you make it less than 100% accurate?

Or am I missing something? Smile
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 07:00, broothal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-11 08:47, Funnybaldbloke wrote:
[...]
I've just recieved a pm from Martin with his ideas on how to make this less then 100% accurate and I have to say its brilliant. [...]

Erm... what? The effect as presented is 100% accurate due to the separation of the choices. Why would you make it less than 100% accurate?

Or am I missing something? Smile

Hi!
Martin's idea is a fun opportunity that you can take during performance.
isn't necesary but if taking risks is your thing, you can create a nice new layer of mystery.

Also if you know how, you can EVEN erase this step if your participant decides on the other option.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Am I the only one having trouble getting to purchase this?
I went onto amiras website and clicked onto positive positive but can't seem to find where to buy it...

Kieran
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 06:27, magicman29 wrote:
Am I the only one having trouble getting to purchase this?
I went onto amiras website and clicked onto positive positive but can't seem to find where to buy it...

Kieran

I'm on a smart phone and had the same problem. But I got to looking and found that after I clicked on it, a new page opened up and at the very bottom I found where it said 'view web version' and that allowed me to order it. Hope this helps
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Art Vanderlay-Positive Positive: 100% accurate every time (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL