The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dick Christian's Lecture Notes? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vigi
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of vigi
Hi,
I was looking for Dick Christian's Lecture Notes about book tests on the Café and I know he was selling them by himself.

Does anybody know how can I get a copy of them?

Thanks!
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms" - Muriel Rukeyzer
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
I would imagine it will be hard to get a copy of said lecture notes since Mr Christian is no longer with us Smile

At this current moment he is sat in the clouds fuming about the latest book test, he still gets just a grumpy in Heaven!

Miss you Dick.

Cheers,
Art.
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!
vigi
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of vigi
This is a very sad news...

Anybody wants to sell a copy?
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Alas, the inside cover of the book includes copyright information, a bold curse on anyone who obtains the notes without payment, and in bold capitals, the words NOT FOR RESALE. So technically, to respect Mr Christian's wishes, nobody should be on-selling, sorry.

HOWEVER... if you are after a specific piece of information (or two) from the notes, I might be able to help.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I still have his lecture notes from a course he taught at the Smithsonean in Washington DC in the early 1980's on magic. Really great stuff he taught, although most of it not on mentalism. But he did teach a simple but amazing book test. I think that is when he started getting into mentalism, as I remember him talking with admiration about Kreskin.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
It's a shame this is no longer available. I obtained my copy shortly before Mr. Christian's death and I treasure it. Maybe a publisher/vendor could cut a deal with the estate?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
A couple of years ago, I bought a set of his lecture notes from Dick. They are excellent.

I'd encourage their re-publication AND the completion of the larger work he was (I have heard) nearly finished with on book tests and forcing books.

Does anyone know Dick's family?

George
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-02 17:01, George Hunter wrote:
I'd encourage their re-publication AND the completion of the larger work he was (I have heard) nearly finished with on book tests and forcing books.

I concur.

The following additional topics were to be covered in his "Encyclopedia of Forcing Books & Book Tests:"

-Tests using imp******* dev****
-Tests using other gimmicks
-Telephone Book tests
-Secretly prepared book tests
-Circled word book tests
-"Multi-Layered" book tests
-Binary book tests
-Book tests using images
-"Wordless" book tests
-Other unusual book tests
-Magazine tests
-Newspaper and want ad tests
-"Puzzle" tests
-Word tests
-Book tests as predictions
-"Ins**** St****" book tests

What greater tribute to Mr. Christian could there be than someone taking the baton and finishing what he started? We can only hope his family saved his notes and early drafts.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
M. G:

Thanks for filling in those blanks. Having read the list several times, it strikes me that Dick's lecture notes MAY have been essentially complete sections of his planned expansion, with the other topics to be added.

If this is anywhere near the case, the re-publication of the lecture notes would be an enduring contribution--with, say, your list as an indication of additional topics that someone else could research and delineate.

George
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-02 21:43, George Hunter wrote:
M. G:

Thanks for filling in those blanks. Having read the list several times, it strikes me that Dick's lecture notes MAY have been essentially complete sections of his planned expansion, with the other topics to be added.

If this is anywhere near the case, the re-publication of the lecture notes would be an enduring contribution--with, say, your list as an indication of additional topics that someone else could research and delineate.

George

I just want to make it clear that this is not my list but is, in fact, Mr. Christian's own list as it appears in the lecture notes. He prefaces it by saying:

"Other categories of tests that time and space preclude covering in detail in the lecture and these notes, but that will be covered in the Encyclopedia as well as possible subsequent lectures and notes include:"
vigi
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of vigi
Thank you for your contribution to this topic, Mind Guerrilla!

:)
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
You can use the Café search function to get a lot of Mr. Christian's ideas
and his insight on many topics.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
These notes are a great resource for anyone putting out a book test to get your credits right.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-03 04:56, vigi wrote:
Thank you for your contribution to this topic, Mind Guerrilla!

:)

My pleasure! We're all in this thing together, right? Smile

fwiw Here are sources Mr. Christian listed in the bibliography of his lecture notes:

"F*rc*** Books and Book Tests" in Classic Magic Supplement, Volume VIII by Dr. Robert Albo

Mainly Mental, Volume 2, Book Tests by C.L. Boarde aka Warren Schoonamker

"A Brief History of Book Tests" article by Max Maven from MagicSeen magazine, November 2006

Word Work vols. 1 & 2 by Alain Nu

Pages 189-228 in Paralies by Joshua Quinn
vigi
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of vigi
VERY GOOD!

Made my day, Mind Guerrilla! Smile
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-03 14:42, vigi wrote:
VERY GOOD!

Made my day, Mind Guerrilla! Smile

I aims ta please. Smile
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I can't imagine that Dick Christian would be happy with the fact that his knowledge would not proliferate any further. I'm in desperate need of his lecture notes...
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
I, too, would like a set of the notes, but I'm likely out of luck. Smile

A workaround would be to start an online wiki devoted to this topic.
I'll seed such a collection with a dealer item that probably wasn't included in Dick's notes:

"The Only Good Apple Book Test" (C) 1988 Magic World Publishers (Olympia, WA USA). Forced 1 of 3 words. Hardback book supplied was "The Only Good Apple … in a barrel of spies." Hence the name of the effect. I sold this at magic conventions and by mail order.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
Another online resource (338 entries currently) is this:
https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/2140
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dick Christian's Lecture Notes? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL