The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Alex Elmsley (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alondon
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of alondon
What are the favorites from the Collected Works of Alex Elmsley?
Where to start?
Thanks
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's all good. One of those books you start on page 1 and keep going. Start with the Four Card Trick and learn one of the best packet tricks using the Ghost Count that few people do.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Sage advice..
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I always seemed to like "flight to witch mountain" from volume 1( I have volume 1 for real and bought both from llepub as ebooks BUT I still want vol 2 for real Smile) although Elmsley didn't seem to think much of it (according to Stephen Minch). I love it and with some finetuning this is one good assembly.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
One of my top 5 books. I don't have it anymore but did make some notes of my favorite stuff. Some sleights were the Hofzinger top change page 47,Battling the bulge and bluff hand to hand transfer page 91, Triple reverse page 267, Just lucky stacking 4 aces in 3 rifle shuffles page 393, impromptu tricks- Snap swap page 291,Liars club page 284, Brownwaves 1 page 333, Elmsley's Ghost page 246, Melbourne page 314. Those were my favorites but there were many other great effects.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
I agree all is good. Particularly, I enjoyed the chapter "Faro tapestries", with the mathematical study of the faro shuffle and some interesting effects.
So much to do, so little time . . .
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
Be sure not to neglect the section on presentation. It's interesting and understated, but good food for thought (plus, it has a Victor Borge reference).
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
If you can do a faro shuffle (or need some motivation to learn it), then Volume II is a wonderful read. Ignore the maths (if its not of interest to you), and just admire the beauty of the Penelope principle, and its wonderful applications... Not to mention the other techniques Elmsley developed for tracking cards (i.e. his binary methods).

I was lucky enough to get these books when I was around 13 years old (particularly lucky given how rare they are now); I enjoyed them then, and I can honestly say that I've enjoyed them every time I've picked them up since.

Owen

PS. Since my post was aimed at the faro section of Vol.II, I should mention that one of my favourite Elmsley effects using the faro shuffle is missing from the books, but does appear in his Lake Tahoe V.III video, it is titled Colour-changing Faro Shuffle. As soon as I saw the effect I was drawn to it as a brilliant approach to a multiple colour changing deck effect.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Collinspell

Larry Smile
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On 2013-07-04 18:07, owen.daniel wrote:

Ignore the maths (if its not of interest to you), ... Not to mention the other techniques Elmsley developed for tracking cards (i.e. his binary methods).

Anyway, recall that those binary methods are an interesting by-product of the maths. ;-)

Quote:

PS. Since my post was aimed at the faro section of Vol.II, I should mention that one of my favourite Elmsley effects using the faro shuffle is missing from the books, but does appear in his Lake Tahoe V.III video, it is titled Colour-changing Faro Shuffle. As soon as I saw the effect I was drawn to it as a brilliant approach to a multiple colour changing deck effect.

I focused on other effects when I watched the videos, I will have a look at it. Thanks, Owen
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 02:17, alicauchy wrote:
Quote:

Ignore the maths (if its not of interest to you), ... Not to mention the other techniques Elmsley developed for tracking cards (i.e. his binary methods).

Anyway, recall that those binary methods are an interesting by-product of the maths. ;-)

Hi alicauchy,

Indeed, I am well aware that the binary effects are mathematical. I intended my point to read as "if you are not interested in the mathematics, then skip it". Personally I like that part of the book, since I am interested in mathematical techniques in magic,and their working!

Owen

PS. I'm curious about your name... is it derived from A. L. Cauchy?
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
How about "mathematics & mentalism" from volume one. I really like it Smile
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
Dazzle! My favorite. Smile
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 14:34, Jesse K wrote:
Dazzle! My favorite. Smile

I second that
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 04:33, owen.daniel wrote:

PS. I'm curious about your name... is it derived from A. L. Cauchy?

In some sense. It was my nickname during my student days, since I was studying simultaneously Maths (hence Cauchy) and Arabic (hence Ali). Finally, I became a professional mathematician.
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Wow, my favourite books of all time!

I reckon I have performed every card effect in that book at least once! Sensational books
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
Thanks to everyone for posting their favorites. I recently picked up these two volumes and I am slowly working through volume 1. I am really enjoying these.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
They were among my favorites, too. Sadly, due to unfortunate circumstances, I had to sell mine a few years ago. But if I ever get enough leisure time, I will definitely reinvest and take my time perusing every page!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Gary Plants recently fooled me with a gem from these books that I'd long forgotten about. It makes me wonder what it was about Elmsley, Walton et al that made them all so creative and produce such a high volume of great quality card magic.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
The cheap solution for the Elmsley books is the L&L ebook (PDF). Both volumes have been on sale at around $10 each. I have both the physical books and the ebooks. What a bargain.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Alex Elmsley (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL