The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Would this work? Would this be safe? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mndude
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of mndude
I'm interested in making a fireball appear in my hand. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

I would mix rubbing alcohol with salt so it creates an orange fire instead of a blue flame. Then, I would I would soak my hand in the substance. Lastly, I would use a device like Pyrofreak to magically cause my hand ignite.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1871 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Let's see...
You are asking if lighting your hand on fire is safe.

I think you know the answer.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
mndude
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of mndude
Well, alcohol by itself should be safe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2DG2PeEsBI. But I'm wondering if it would continue to be safe after adding salt to the alcohol. Also, if pyrofreak would work to ignite it.
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
Are you serious?! That is just awesome!!
Are you watching closely?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6347 Posts

Profile of bowers
If you do it shoot a video to show.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of mndude
I've been experimenting with this, and man it gets hot so fast! I wonder how the guy in the video does it for so much time. I'll keep you updated, and hope to have a video when it's perfected.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20189 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I know there is something called Cold Fire that can be used on one finger, but not your whole hand. It has been used on fire gloves to dove, that was available years ago. It has to be held erect and not be an any kind of angle. Also it cannot be used outside do to wind. It was only available from Europe anyway.

I have to say, you sound very stupid to try anything like this.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1191 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
You can light it as long as you can extinguish it. My dad does this sometimes (not as a trick, but more a stunt, but always has the sink running.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I can't believe this is how I am going to use up my 100th post on the forum but here goes....
I completely agree with Bowers.... "If you do it shoot a video to show."
I'm not sure but I think Bowers and I both have the same thing in mind here... neither of us want to miss out on this moment of astonishment you are about to create and you really should share something like that with the rest of the world.... not just the magic community. Is that about right Bowers??

Here's another example of such an experiment (fake video, but you'll get the idea)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAES5SXUwVU

Enjoy and good luck!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2194 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Dip your hand in a bucket of ice so you can make the flames stay longer in your hand. That is what I used to do with the Alpha Flaming Gloves effect.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
944 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Wow, just wow! Awesome? Awesomly dangerous. Shoot a video? Sure go ahead so that the insurance company can subpoena it and use it s evidence in court to deny your claim. Put some of these replies in with the video if you want to bolster their case against you.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Profile of Brian J. Hatcher
There are many precautions stunt men can take to protect themselves from getting burned doing a fire stunt, and most if not all of them are impracticable for a magician to do in the middle of a performance. Therefore, the temptation is there to take shortcuts. which risks injury to the magician, just to pull off an effect that most venues won't allow you to do on their premises anyway.
Maior Cogitatio Magiam Maiorem Facit
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1191 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
What would the context of this be? You can't just have a fireball suddenly appear for no reason.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Profile of Brian J. Hatcher
This might work as an option: http://bit.ly/1wjLvob
Maior Cogitatio Magiam Maiorem Facit
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
944 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I can't imagine anything more unwise than attempting what you are suggesting. So many things can go wrong with burning liquids and flesh that it boggles the mind. Make sure you have good medical and life insurance if you try doing this stunt and don't do it with other people--especially children--watching near by.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
badger1957
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of badger1957
Buy a product called....fire Kit....you can then set your hand on fire without burning your self
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1296 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I know this is an old thread and the people who posted previously have probably either gone on to other ventures or whatever, but in case anyone else decides this is a good idea -

Having a small amount of rubbing alcohol or white gas on the skin which you light and then extinguish isn't a huge deal. Fire performers do it all the time. In relative terms, these are not super hot fires and the bulk of the heat isn't at the base where your skin is. You run into trouble when the fuel runs out and the skin is taking the brunt of the heat damage/igniting itself.

However, as soon as salt is added you're changing the game. Molten salt is very, very hot and will do damage very quickly.

I strongly advise against the OP's plan.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Boffo: http://tinyurl.com/jlb4mbf
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6907 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I was a teenager (eons ago!) I broke in on a ten in one (carnie sideshow) If one could do two different acts, one's salary would be higher. I did magic, and, after learning from an experienced fire eater, I did fire, plus, I could "lecture" on the "big snake" (15' python). So! I KNOW about FIRE!

BEFORE you start "playing with fire", READ THE ENTIRE THREAD ABOVE! THEN SEEK PERSONAL INSTRUCTION FROM AN EXPERIENCED TECHNICIAN. THEN, BUY LOTS OF INSURANCE, FOR YOURSELF, THE SPECTATOR'S, AND THE BUILDING IN WHICH YOU ARE PERFORMING.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Would this work? Would this be safe? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL