The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Geek Magician's Cook Book by Mat Parrott (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
120 Posts

Profile of timlic
I recently bought this from Magic Box in Newcastle. What a great read!

Firstly, apologies if there's a topic on this already, but I couldn't find it.

At the front of the book, it says "Second Edition" - So I'm interested to know, if anyone has it, if the First Edition is the same, but with less info?

The contents include:

"Real Geek" - Human Blockhead, Walking on Broken Glass, Walking on Hot Coals, Milk From Eye and more

"Geek Magic" - Swallowing Razor Blades, Pulse Stopping, Eating 'Glass', Balloon Swallow, etc.

"Related To Geek" - Bending an Iron Bar, Staple Gun Roulette, Breaking a Cinder Block (and more!)

"Recipes" - Sugar Glass & Fake Blood.

"Preparation" - Needles, Razor Blades & Scalpels/Knives

"Thoughts On Geek"

And then credits, references, other geek performers, etc.

I've been looking for an insight to geek magic as it fascinates me. This book covers most of the basic 'effects' and so much more to get me started.

If you fancy delving into the world of geek, have a look! http://www.magicbox.uk.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Almost makes me wish that I was a kid again, and working under canvas in a ten in one!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I hate the term geek magic when it refers to sideshow material. To hell with you Harry Anderson!
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Yep, that name really stuck. I don't mind being called a geek but the term "geek magic" contorts my face.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I wonder whether those guys know what a GEEK is??? I(and does?

Gresham's "NIGHTMARE ALLEY", as I recall, "explained" it well.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
theconjuror
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of theconjuror
There is a Harry Anderson trick called needle through arm... I first saw a version of this trick in a library and it was called Voodoo Needle through arm. Its the exact same thing as the Harry Anderson one, except at the end you take out a knife and cut your arm.... anyone ever happen to get that one?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
This isn't really a 'trick' area of the Café. It's all real...except that sword swallowing. They don't swallow a sword....they have a scabbard stitched in to the inside of their oesophagus. The sword simply goes in there. Apart from that its as real as it gets......and now I start writing my book....ill call it swami-yo-mummy hamster. iPad keeps self correcting hamster to hamster! I don't know how to spell hamster, I may go look it up later if I can find my "swami hamster" book by Sam Dalal.

But definitely not a trick area of the Café....too quiet if you ask me.

Hey Fin....can you make the dummy that looks just like your dad tell me how old you are? Or are you talking now?
Parrott
View Profile
New user
Wirral, England
53 Posts

Profile of Parrott
Thanks for the kind words.

I understand that people don't like the term "geek magic" to describe sideshow stunts and effects however I have my reasoning. The sideshow is, by its very description, a show to the side. It is not the main event. However I feel this genre is worth far more than this and can be, as is any form of our art/craft if performed correctly.

I did however strongly avoid "shock magic" as this suggests that the aim is to shock, and it truly is not.

You may disagree with me on this and you're probably correct in your own ways. I just went with this terminology.
Parrott
View Profile
New user
Wirral, England
53 Posts

Profile of Parrott
Oh, and to answer your question Timlic; the first edition was a hard back release limited to a very small number. There is a small amount of variation in regards to content within the first and second edition, but nothing to considerably alter your reading experience.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm curious. Why is it OK to teach this to people, without personal supervision of the process?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Parrott
View Profile
New user
Wirral, England
53 Posts

Profile of Parrott
Good question. The book does stress that learning in person is far superior to the book itself and I would say if you had the choice between the two go for learning in person. The idea was to be an education and reference resource however I am aware that the majority of people will use the book to learn the stunts as I would have. My justification for this is that the content in the book is tested and is well written, stressing the safety procedures and how to deal with messing up. If they were to use other resources rlthey can be wrong, out of date and out right dangerous. So is it best for people to use a random website with no sources or research, or a book developed over many years using a pleather of previous research and resources suggesting further reading and other sources?

The majority of the content is no more dangerous than a double lift when performed properly and less dangerous to an audience than hypnosis, yet that is happily taught in book and DVD form. And whilst I do understand that this is a controversial subject within the field and I am sure many will strongly disagree these are my justifications.
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Quote:
On 2013-10-21 01:31, Parrott wrote:
Good question. The book does stress that learning in person is far superior to the book itself and I would say if you had the choice between the two go for learning in person. The idea was to be an education and reference resource however I am aware that the majority of people will use the book to learn the stunts as I would have. My justification for this is that the content in the book is tested and is well written, stressing the safety procedures and how to deal with messing up. If they were to use other resources rlthey can be wrong, out of date and out right dangerous. So is it best for people to use a random website with no sources or research, or a book developed over many years using a pleather of previous research and resources suggesting further reading and other sources?

The majority of the content is no more dangerous than a double lift when performed properly and less dangerous to an audience than hypnosis, yet that is happily taught in book and DVD form. And whilst I do understand that this is a controversial subject within the field and I am sure many will strongly disagree these are my justifications.

WORD! And considering the sometimes very unfriendly tone towards newbies here (covered up as to supposedly being funny Smile), I would rather learn the technics from a book than have to deal with these "teachers" in real life Smile
To infinity, and beyond!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I learnt some stuff from paper based resources. Then had some teaching from Kondini. I was just lucky in between! Ken sorted me out from a technique,fuel AND performance point of view. Well worth finding out someone to teach in my opinion....it may even save your life!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Geek Magician's Cook Book by Mat Parrott (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL