The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..37..71..105..139..172~173~174~175~176..186..195..204..213..222..224~225~226 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The earth's tilted axis and orbit are the main the reason for the ever-changing climate and ever-moving continents and the reason we are in a warm interglacial period at this moment.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
R.S asks:
Is climate change a Chinese hoax? Yes or no?
Is there a massive conspiracy amongst all the organizations I listed? Yes or no?

I assume you are referring to some comments made by our now President. Of course you pick out a phrase and do not really look past what has been said afterward and just spout something that suits your ... if you wish to call it an agenda. A lot of Climate Change is a hoax whether by China or others in order to keep producing their materials at a cheaper production rate through wages and production methods (energy) while tying the hands of the USA and making us follow standards that hurt our economy. Hoax may not be the correct word. How about deception? It is not necessarily a Chinese plot but they certainly are one of the biggest causes of what the Climate Change group says cause the problem aren't they? The way you ask the question is sort of like do you still beat your wife? yes or no. Please! I have said several times, "I am to old a cat to be kidded by kittens".

To answer your second question. Is there a massive conspiracy among all the organizations I listed? Yes or no?
That is a nice list. But I can not answer your question as I have no idea what they say about Climate Change. Are they all in TOTAL AGREEMENT? Are SOME of them in a position that advocating climate change helps them survive. Your question is way to encompassing to give a simple yes of no answer. You would have to be more specific as to where they stand before I could attempt an answer. That is like asking if I am against religion, Catholicism, Buddhism, Muslim, Protestantism, Judism etc. Yes or no. It can not be answered in the context you ask.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, tommy wrote:
The earth's tilted axis and orbit are the main the reason for the ever-changing climate and ever-moving continents and the reason we are in a warm interglacial period at this moment.

I fully acknowledge that the Earth's tilt is the reason for the changing climate (also known as the seasons.)

I don't see anything that indicates that the Earth's tilt has anything to do with Continental Drift or the changes in the seasons that we are currently experiencing.

What evidence do you provide that supports this?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Has continental drift ever happened before?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2017, R.S. wrote:

https://www.opr.ca.gov/s_listoforganizations.php)

Ron

That's a pretty impressive list. It certainly helps your "appeal to authority" argument, doesn't it?

But, at the top of the page it states, "Scientific Organizations that hold the position that climate change has been caused by human action"

Sound pretty impressive to anyone who is not very inquisitive, I'll bet.

So, here's what it doesn't say.

Do they believe:
a. That ALL climate change has been caused by man?
b. That a small percentage of climate change has been caused by man?
c. That climate change will end the world as we know it if we don't do something to stop it?
d. That we CAN do anything to stop it?

I'll bet most government organizations are under a fair amount of pressure to at least say that yes, we believe in climate change and that it is caused by man. If they WON'T say that, (certainly under the last administration), they more than likely would have been in pretty good position to lose quite a lot of funding.

But, you know, It's a pretty innocuous statement. I don't think any of them are lying. Heck, I believe in climate change and that at least 'some' of it is probably caused by man so if pressured, I'd be happy to put it on my own website. If you're dumb enough to believe that means that I also believe all the hysteria, well, that's on you.

Also, those are "organizations" that are making a type of "mission statement". Does that mean everyone within the organization agrees with it. No, of course not. It's about as useless and stupid a list as the 98% study was.

But like I said, it certainly makes for a strong "appeal to authority" argument, doesn't it?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

Based on what's been found so far, about as long as the planet has been cooling and forming a crust... say two billion years plus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geological_history_of_Earth
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
No you misunderstood what I meant, which is probably something to do with the fact that I did not mention continental drift.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
For all the climate change supporters, riddle me this. All of the predictive models to date have been wrong. They are all off. Why then should anyone believe any of this?

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f......35_2.pdf One example.

I know they're libertarian, but the guys are climate scientists as opposed to say Bill Nye and Al Gore.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

As far as I know, continental drift has been happening since the world was created.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

Based on what's been found so far, about as long as the planet has been cooling and forming a crust... say two billion years plus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geological_history_of_Earth

So man made global climate change didn't cause continental drift? Makes one wonder why someone would even bring it up?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

I fully acknowledge that the Earth's tilt is the reason for the changing climate (also known as the seasons.)

I don't see anything that indicates that the Earth's tilt has anything to do with Continental Drift or the changes in the seasons that we are currently experiencing.

So since continental drift is not a new phenomenon why mention it in context of global climate change exactly?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, acesover wrote:
R.S asks:
Is climate change a Chinese hoax? Yes or no?
Is there a massive conspiracy amongst all the organizations I listed? Yes or no?

I assume you are referring to some comments made by our now President. Of course you pick out a phrase and do not really look past what has been said afterward and just spout something that suits your ... if you wish to call it an agenda.

Yes, I have an agenda. It’s called ‘science.’ Are you anti-science?

Quote:
A lot of Climate Change is a hoax whether by China or others in order to keep producing their materials at a cheaper production rate through wages and production methods (energy) while tying the hands of the USA and making us follow standards that hurt our economy. Hoax may not be the correct word. How about deception?

False. Climate change is not a nefarious “hoax” (or deception). And following a clean energy path does not “hurt’ our economy. In the long run, it strengthens us and makes us more independent. Are you for strength and independence?

Quote:

That is a nice list. But I can not answer your question as I have no idea what they say about Climate Change.

It’s right there at the top of the page: (Scientific Organizations That Hold the Position That Climate Change Has Been Caused by Human Action)

Quote:

Are they all in TOTAL AGREEMENT?

It’s right there at the top of the page: (Scientific Organizations That Hold the Position That Climate Change Has Been Caused by Human Action)

Quote:

You would have to be more specific as to where they stand before I could attempt an answer.

Also, you might want to peruse some of the other tabs. Lots of good info there.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2017, R.S. wrote:

https://www.opr.ca.gov/s_listoforganizations.php)

Ron

That's a pretty impressive list. It certainly helps your "appeal to authority" argument, doesn't it?

Sure it does! I’m not a climate expert, so naturally I’ll defer to the experts. We all appeal to some authority to some extent most of the time. But I agree, the organizations I listed certainly are impressive (and credible)!

Quote:

But, at the top of the page it states, "Scientific Organizations that hold the position that climate change has been caused by human action"

Sound pretty impressive to anyone who is not very inquisitive, I'll bet.

So, here's what it doesn't say.

Do they believe:
a. That ALL climate change has been caused by man?
b. That a small percentage of climate change has been caused by man?
c. That climate change will end the world as we know it if we don't do something to stop it?
d. That we CAN do anything to stop it?

Did you read the other tabs? Try the ‘Scientific Consensus’ tab, and the others.

Quote:
I'll bet most government organizations are under a fair amount of pressure to at least say that yes, we believe in climate change and that it is caused by man. If they WON'T say that, (certainly under the last administration), they more than likely would have been in pretty good position to lose quite a lot of funding.

That’s quite an assertion. Are you saying that now that we’re in a new administration, those organizations no longer have to push a climate change “agenda” without fear of loss of funding??

Quote:
But, you know, It's a pretty innocuous statement. I don't think any of them are lying. Heck, I believe in climate change and that at least 'some' of it is probably caused by man so if pressured, I'd be happy to put it on my own website. If you're dumb enough to believe that means that I also believe all the hysteria, well, that's on you.

Not sure what you consider "hysteria", but I agree that some of that is overblown (i.e. end-of-the-world scenarios). So we're actually not that far apart after all. Thanks Rockwall.

(and again, I would change my views if the science warrants it)

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you ask "have you stopped beating your wife" questions on purpose? Because you use that tactic along with "yes or no" quite often and it sort of makes me think you have less of a point than you actually do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ron if you are not a climate expert then how do you know what a climate expert is?

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

So since continental drift is not a new phenomenon why mention it in context of global climate change exactly?

I think you should ask that of tommy, not me. He brought up "ever moving continents."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Not sure what you consider "hysteria", but I agree that some of that is overblown (i.e. end-of-the-world scenarios). So we're actually not that far apart after all. Thanks Rockwall.

Ron

If you think that because I believe that the climate is changing (and has always changed) and that Man has probably had some part in it means that we're not "all that far apart after all", then I'm surprised that you don't think you're not that far apart from almost every other "denier" out there. I'm pretty sure 99% of them would be willing to make the same statement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:

Ron

If you think that because I believe that the climate is changing (and has always changed) and that Man has probably had some part in it means that we're not "all that far apart after all", then I'm surprised that you don't think you're not that far apart from almost every other "denier" out there. I'm pretty sure 99% of them would be willing to make the same statement.

You and I seem pretty much in lock step.

I bet you would also say that polluting is bad and we should take care of our planet. I'm just guessing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's one thing to say pollution is bad, but are those who say that willing to oppose national policies that increase pollution? Or is economic "growth" the only metric? (I'm not talking about climate change actions here--but, for example, this.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..37..71..105..139..172~173~174~175~176..186..195..204..213..222..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL