The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Vernet Invisible Hand and DVD (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrpiper
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
I have had the IH for several years. The device, the DVD and the kit of gimmicks are all excellent. I haven't seen anything about it here in a while so I thought for new comers a brief review might be in order. Just the other night, on a whim, I decided to watch all three of the DVD's again (hadn't had them out in several years) and the quality of the production and the excellent teaching inspired me to post.

The Device:
Invisible Hand is a remarkably descriptive name for this particular holdout. The device can hand you or take from you so many different items. The creativity and simplicity of design is excellent. The gimmick would be almost, if not completely, impossible to snag on a sleeve or get stuck in your coat. Once set up correctly, it will never "drop out" in front of your audience and you remain in excellent control. The device is simple, sturdy and should last for years. Once you own it, and you should if you are ready to take many tricks you already do to the next level, you will see that in its simplicity, it is also easily repaired if you should ever have any problems with it.

Invisible Hand can be used over and over during your act when appropriate for various illusions that seem completely incompatible with one another. This device is not a one trick pony. It is a professionally designed and manufactured tool of the magic trade that belongs in the toolbox of most all professional technicians. It should last for the rest of your career with a few adjustments and repairs perhaps along the way. Finally, it DOES DOES DOES DOES DOES! Require practice. Do NOT expect to get this on Thursday and use it in front of an audience on Friday. It's worth spending a couple of WEEKS practicing, adjusting and perfecting this tool for EACH INDIVIDUAL ILLUSION you intend to use it with so that you not only get the most out of it, but appear to be truly magic. Did I mention you MUST practice to be proficient? Yes I think I did. PLEASE note that it is simple to use and easy to become AMAZING with the Invisible Hand. Do not let the fact that it requires practice make you think it is too difficult or complicated for you. It's not. The device is really easy to use, it just takes time to make it look smooth and natural. As with most illusions and devices, practice before a mirror until it looks like your natural flow of movement.

THE DVD SET!
The set of 3 DVD's by Michel are well scripted. The production is professionally edited and well screened. Michel's broken English is clear and easy to understand and adds charm to his work. Watching these DVD's I actually feel like an honored and privileged friend that Michel is sharing his entire life's work and secrets with. He genuinely loves what he is doing and the enthusiasm is contagious. He is also a slow, careful and meticulous teacher. The DVD's are not an after thought but rather a masterpiece worthy of the most secret museum of magic on earth where the real gold is kept. I think of these instructional DVD's as the "Tarbell Course" on holdout magic. They are priced within reason for the serious beginner and can help take a serious beginner into the realm of working professional. I will likely never meet Michel in person but if given the chance, I would like to shake his hand and thank him for coming into my home and personally teaching me and working with me to help me become skilled and proficient in every illusion application I decided to learn from him.

The only negative, and it's not really negative, is the couple of places in the DVD series where he uses card manipulation, a topit and other devices. His intent is to show how to use the IH as a versatile gimmick for use in expanding the possibilities of other illusions you may already know, but since I am not much for card manipulation, that particular illusion was lost on me although the concept was still of great value. The purpose of that section is not so much to teach the learner those particular illusions but rather to inspire you to think of ways to integrate the device to improve your over all performance or to make the performance of an illusion easier or more spectacular. I just can not recommend this set of DVD's enough.

The Kit of Gimmicks:
All are well made and most are adaptations of older tried and true gimmicks for use with the invisible hand. On the DVD's he simply shows how to attach the gimmicks. I would offer one suggestion based on my experience: When attaching the gimmicks to the IH device, insert them fully, all of the way to the back of the IH clip until the metal wire is in the open slot behind the clip teeth. If you do not fully insert the tongue into the clip, you could possibly have a gimmick slip out on you. Once the wire is behind the teeth, and the clip closed, you would likely break the device, the gimmick or both before you could pull it out. this is a simple thing, but it is not clearly / close up illustrated on the DVD or any of the instructions. If you watch the DVD, you will see that you could easily build the entire kit yourself with a bit of time and effort. Frankly, I am lazy and the kit is well made so I bought it rather than spend my time trying to find and adapt the other gimmicks. I am glad I made the purchase. There were a couple of the gimmicks I would have never made for myself but because they were there, I decided to give them a try and I am glad I did. I particularly like his version of the "Dye Tube" adapted for the gimmick.

There are no instructions with the gimmick kit. I do not recommend you buy it unless you either 1.) are buying or already own the DVD set (and you absolutely should!) or 2.) You are already familiar with what all of the gimmicks are and what they do. If you buy the DVD set, I strongly recommend the gimmick kit.

Finally, I know there are many hold out devices and pulls on the market. I own and have used the Raven, Raven Reel, The Bat, Trabucco Holdout, various pulls and gimmicks. This one is the one I use most. Having owned this type of holdout, I wish I had never spent the money on any of the others accept the Trabucco which I also use constantly and often in conjunction with the IH, but that's a review for another day.

If you love the concept of using a holdout device in your act, please feel confident in buying this entire set of items and know that you will not be disappointed. You can spend a lot more money or perhaps a little less money, but the quality per dollar spent on this set is among the greatest values I have personally ever spent in magic.

Best regards and your thoughtful comments, successes and suggestions appreciated.

Piper
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20829 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What do you personally do with the Invisible Hand?
What magic effects do you with the Invisible Hand?
What has been the audience response to those effects, and the best response you have gotten?
What has been your experience pro and con with the Invisible Hand?
How long did it take you to master the Invisible Hand device for the tricks you do with it?
How memorial has the Invisible Hand been with the tricks you do for your audiences or spectators?
What tricks have been enhanced with the use/substitution of the Invisible Hand device.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
mrpiper
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Quote:
On 2013-10-08 07:36, Bill Hegbli wrote:
What do you personally do with the Invisible Hand? Basically, I like to use the IH with common gimmicks that I can access and get rid of cleanly to ENHANCE things I am already doing.

What magic effects do you with the Invisible Hand? Depending on the audience. For "impromptu" I like to make a signed bill or item vanish and reappear in an envelope/ pen / box etc... that the spectator is holding. Sugar packets and so forth. Also, impromptu let a spectator shuffle a deck of cards thoroughly then I can predict the top 5 or bottom five cards instantly. Make a business card suddenly appear. (I keep that ready to go before and after a show) In a show, with a "Dye Tube" I like to do a blendo where I can go through the entire routine very cleanly and finish open hands. I like to use it with a "Fickle Fire" to produce fire from my pocket and pass it to a "Hot book" showing "God's Word being given in written form by divine inspiration to discuss that the Bible IS God's word. Perfect and inerrant. Make a cane appear from an empty hand. Make a silk appear in an empty hand then become a cane. I do others, but there are also a couple of dozen ideas on the DVD set that you can morph to meet your needs. There are really a lot of possibilities. Of note is that I would not consider myself to be a really creative mind and yet once I saw the device applied on the DVD series, I began to see a lot of possibilities that would work for me personally.

What has been the audience response to those effects, and the best response you have gotten? The most surprising / commented on have been impromptu uses. I suppose it has been similar to what the effect would be if done by another method, but it adds a unique layer of misdirection and wonder to the effects it is used with. There isn't really a routine that I do that uses the device that I can't do by another method. It just makes it more confusing and, at least for me, a little easier! the most commented on is when someone hands ME a business card and I make it vanish right in front of them and say, "I just put it in my cloud storage so I can't lose it."

What has been your experience pro and con with the Invisible Hand? Pro: makes moving objects around cleanly quite easy and magical. Easy to learn. The DVD's are really solid instruction, like being in a school classroom where you are carefully taught the basics of use. Con: You need a coat on and some practice. This is not a trick in and of itself. It is a way to enhance and improve what you are already doing.

How long did it take you to master the Invisible Hand device for the tricks you do with it? It varies from trick to trick. Usually a couple of hours of practice over a couple of days with a trick I already do. Much longer if learning a new routine / trick AND including the IH. The working of the device itself is not so difficult as making it look like a natural movement that is rational within the context of the routine you are doing. Simply put, practice whatever you plan to do in front of a mirror until you are clean. Someone far more wise than me once said, "Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

How memorial has the Invisible Hand been with the tricks you do for your audiences or spectators? Actually a very good question. Frankly, all magicians have people / especially children who are amazed at a trick or event. "how did you do that thing where you...?" is a common question. I hope this doesn't become memorable as much as it takes my entire performance to a bit higher level where the question is "where did you learn all of that stuff?" or "that whole show was great / amazing." My bigger questions are usually, "where in the world did that girl come from?" or "how do you do that without burning your hand?" or "where did that pile of bananas go?!" I'm sorry if it seems I am dodging your question here, but again, the IH is for utility, making an illusion easier or more magical, and finishing cleanly. I guess the most memorable results I have gotten have been silk magic with children.

What tricks have been enhanced with the use/substitution of the Invisible Hand device. For me personally, card tricks, dye tube, fickle fire, signed bill to other place, use with a TT to add another layer of confusion and more variation. The most visual enhancement in my opinion is working with silks with children. Very sudden and colorful and magic looking.

Thank you for the questions. I hope my answers were coherent and of value.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20829 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, which I thought are very important to this kind of device/gimmick.

I realize this is a utility device, that is why my question asked, "with the tricks you do for your audiences." My question was meaning to ask, something like: I was doing the color changing silk with the dye tube for years, but now that I have introduced the IH to this trick, my routine for the audience has become a total miracle. People after the show have come up to me, and said, "I thought you were using TT or ball, but when I looked at both hands, there was nothing. You are good, and do real magic."

Something long those lines. Tricks or routines you have been doing previously without IH, and how using the IH has improved the trick and routine by many fold.

mrpiper
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Thank you Bill. As you can see by my number of posts, I am far from an old timer here. I don't really know how far to go and what to say because I don't want to give too much away.

Interesting where you comment about people saying, "I thought you were using a TT". I do get that a LOT from adults. I tell them that I actually use all of my thumb. It's more magical than just using one little part.

The use of IH with a dye tube is exactly as you describe. You start and finish so cleanly. You can make the silks appear and disappear out of thin air. I used to do the dye tube by lifting multiple TT's consecutively as I took a silk from my table, then switch as I reach for the next silk etc... the last silk I reached for is when I would grab the DyeTube. This device has enabled me to pull silks out of thin air and vanish them without a table nearby. It really is more magical. As for card tricks, it doesn't make it more magical, just a whole lot easier!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20829 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for you comments.

Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1482 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Nice review.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6548 Posts

Profile of Dougini
As far as value...Vernet Invisible Hand is a gold mine! You can make a Gravity HO easily enough. But this is complete...ready to go! Seriously look at this, if you feel you want to add HO work to your show. The Romero HoldOut is the next advancement as well as the Fitch/Kohler. I do not believe either are currently available. The Romero is $250-$300, and the F/K is over $1000...

Doug
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
Is it possible to vanish a 18 inch silk whith the invisible hand as thr guy does in the trailer only he seems to be using a 12 inch can it vanish a 18 inch as well? Thancks
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1487 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2018, tecumilic wrote:
Is it possible to vanish a 18 inch silk with the invisible hand as the guy does in the trailer only he seems to be using a 12 inch can it vanish a 18 inch as well? Thanks.

Yes.

But for added speed I'd use a diamond cut 18" silk (less "volume" for the H.O. to deal with). You're talking about an instant , visible vanish, right ? Holding the silk in your hand , toss it , and it's gone in a flash ?

Also keep in mind you can use a receptacle (like a hank ball or it could just be any hollow plastic ball or an old 35mm film canister or similar size canister) attached to the H.O. , so you push the handkerchief into your hand (like a classic TT vanish) but using the much larger handkerchief (it could be a 24" diamond cut) will throw off those who think they know about the TT used for the vanish. No way is that huge silk going into a TT.

I think using the Ivsbl Hnd is maybe overkill for a simple silk vanish, but depends on what you're planning . It might be the thing you need. It's a very versatile utility device so worth having. The teaching on the DVD is excellent and will give you lots of ideas on using it.
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
Im planning on vanishing a silk 3 times the last time climaxing whith a visible vanish. Thanck you David
Mud Magic Art
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mud Magic Art
I combine with the dual control gimmick for totally impossible magic.
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
What is the dual control?
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1215 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2018, tecumilic wrote:
What is the dual control?

See effects by Alan Alan in Tarbell 7 and Ganson's Art of Close-up vol.1. The Tarbell write-up includes an improved version. L&L have a video by Alan and there's also a DVD by Michael Vincent.

Barry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Vernet Invisible Hand and DVD (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL