The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Prof BC - Doppleganger - all you need to know and more.... (540 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12..18..24..30..36..37~38~39 [Next]
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2013-12-01 22:16, Mind illusionist wrote:
Ok thanks for the info Prof. Oops I was a few days early, I must be getting too excited!!

Do you think the coins will be ready for the 3 day release? Or I can just purchase them at a later time?

kindly,
Jordan

Jordan:
The coins will be ready a bit later than the Dopps release--probably on or before December 15. I have them in hand now, but they need aging. Also, they will be attractively priced as I don't intend to make any profit on the coins at all. They are going for what it costs me to make, advertise and ship them. I *believe* that will be in the neighborhood of 25GBP. Just now, however, I'm a bit frantic trying to get enough sets of Dopps ready for Friday (currently at 44 sets, expecting to have 60+ finished by Friday) . . . which reminds me . . .

In the interest of full disclosure, I've made up 40 Poe's Quill Cases for the launch. If that isn't enough to meet demand, I will be making more and shipping them under separate cover in the week following launch.

And if you are thinking, 'You've been working on these since February and they're STILL not completely finished, what's taking so long?' you are reading my mind perfectly. The answer is, of course, that I've taken real pains to make them right. (And when I say pains . . .)

You are going to get 'battle tested' pieces, however. I was able to perform one of the 'recorded medium' routines at my annual Hallowe'en seance at the Grove Park Inn, and it received the best reaction I've ever experienced there. My host asked (for the first time) if I could just repeat this performance again next year. Most gratifying.

BTW, got my own Poe Edition Book at Midnight over the weekend . . . and I'm loving these. Just extraordinarily beautiful. The colours are almost iridescent and some of the bookmarks actually look 3D. Another masterpiece from the brilliantly talented Dan Baines.

Best,
Professor BC
Phasmologist
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2013-12-02 11:32, PROF BC wrote:
And if you are thinking, 'You've been working on these since February and they're STILL not completely finished, what's taking so long?' you are reading my mind perfectly. The answer is, of course, that I've taken real pains to make them right. (And when I say pains . . .)

You are going to get 'battle tested' pieces, however.

Prof, I'm sure I speak for everyone on this forum when I say your thoroughness, your attention to detail, and your having the integrity not to release anything prematurely are all greatly appreciated.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
It is, and his lack of sleep for the next 5 days is also appreciated! Unleash the Dopps!
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On 2013-12-02 14:38, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:

You are going to get 'battle tested' pieces, however.

Prof, I'm sure I speak for everyone on this forum when I say your thoroughness, your attention to detail, and your having the integrity not to release anything prematurely are all greatly appreciated.

Agree 110%!

Sincerest thanks for all you have done, and continue to do, for this art form!

Best,

David
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Quote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-01 22:16, Mind illusionist wrote:
Ok thanks for the info Prof. Oops I was a few days early, I must be getting too excited!!

Do you think the coins will be ready for the 3 day release? Or I can just purchase them at a later time?

kindly,
Jordan

Jordan:
The coins will be ready a bit later than the Dopps release--probably on or before December 15. I have them in hand now, but they need aging. Also, they will be attractively priced as I don't intend to make any profit on the coins at all. They are going for what it costs me to make, advertise and ship them. I *believe* that will be in the neighborhood of 25GBP. Just now, however, I'm a bit frantic trying to get enough sets of Dopps ready for Friday (currently at 44 sets, expecting to have 60+ finished by Friday) . . . which reminds me . . .

In the interest of full disclosure, I've made up 40 Poe's Quill Cases for the launch. If that isn't enough to meet demand, I will be making more and shipping them under separate cover in the week following launch.

You are going to get 'battle tested' pieces, however. I was able to perform one of the 'recorded medium' routines at my annual Hallowe'en seance at the Grove Park Inn, and it received the best reaction I've ever experienced there. My host asked (for the first time) if I could just repeat this performance again next year. Most gratifying.

BTW, got my own Poe Edition Book at Midnight over the weekend . . . and I'm loving these. Just extraordinarily beautiful. The colours are almost iridescent and some of the bookmarks actually look 3D. Another masterpiece from the brilliantly talented Dan Baines.

Best,
Professor BC

Thanks very much for the detailed and prompt response Prof. Your pains will be more than greatly appreciated by the community here I have no doubt! Yes, I shall just purchase the ice age coins later, no worries. I have heard lovely things about the bookmarks too and plan to order a set too when I get my Doppleganger set this friday.

As always a big admirer of your work!!
Jordan
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Oh, dear! Have a look at this (and compare!):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Hound-of-the......ccc2df6b

YOUR Hound will be a) much less expensive, b) in much better shape, and c) able to produce miracles.

With grateful thanks to Vic Nadata for pointing this out!

BC
Phasmologist
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
You have a future in counterfeit books.......
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 12:48, PROF BC wrote:
Oh, dear! Have a look at this (and compare!):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Hound-of-the......ccc2df6b

YOUR Hound will be a) much less expensive, b) in much better shape, and c) able to produce miracles.

With grateful thanks to Vic Nadata for pointing this out!

BC

Ha! The bidding was just ended after the price rose to 250GBP ($390). The bidding has been reopened here with a minimum bid of $1,400 (900GB) required:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Conan-DOYLE-Th......32e7284a

The previous comments still apply with knobs on!

BC
Phasmologist
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
In the interest of full disclosure, I want to share with you how Dan & I intend to proceed in regards to fulfillment.

We will pack and ship the 3-book orders first (complete with Poe quill cases); we will then pack and ship the 2-book orders; and then the 1-book orders. After the launch weekend, it will become a first-come, first-served system.

If we run out of the 40 Poe quill cases this weekend, I will be making additional cases and shipping those out under separate cover as soon as possible (within the week in all probability, certainly by the following weekend).

I hope you will agree that this procedure makes best sense. It would be a shame to break up complete sets by fulfilling 1- & 2-book orders first (as Dopps is primarily intended to be a 3+-book presentation). Therefore, 3-book orders will ship during the launch weekend while 2- and 1-book orders will begin shipping after 09:00 GMT Monday morning.

If it should transpire that the multiple-book orders consume the offering, we will of course be refunding all money collected on unfulfillable orders.

All my best to you,
Professor BC
Phasmologist
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
Smile
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 14:19, PROF BC wrote:
Ha! The bidding was just ended after the price rose to 250GBP ($390). The bidding has been reopened here with a minimum bid of $1,400 (900GB) required

I hope none of the routines in the performance manual suggest ever turning out the lights while performing Doppelgänger. When the lights come back on there may be some books missing! Be prepared to frisk your spectators! It may be a good idea to have an armed guard on hand for an added air of authenticity! Smile

Okay, that may be going overboard but it might not be a bad idea to require specs to wash their hands before handling any of the books. At first, I thought white gloves would be in order but an expert says no...

I'm still not sure what the most convincing way to transport these books would be. Dumping them out of a shopping bag and saying, "Hey, look at the books I brought!" is not the way to go. Would an aluminum case with foam inserts a la Andy Nyman's "Dead Zone Pro" be too over the top?

or maybe...

Okay. Maybe that's a little too over the top. Smile
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Well darn, there goes my idea of dumping them out of a shopping bag...a shopping bag that I had just shown to be COMPLETELY EMPTY!!!! YES!!! I shall call it the First Edition Book Production, and it shall amaze audiences everywhere!
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 23:05, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
It might not be a bad idea to require specs to wash their hands before handling any of the books. At first, I thought white gloves would be in order but an expert says no...

Thank you, Mind Guerrilla. As always, you are precisely on point with this.

The salient discussion of book handling begins at 2:30 on the video, and (as an academic) I completely agree with this expert's opinion. You will find other libraries still requiring cotton gloves in their special collections, but it is a practice that is losing support (for the very reasons outlined in this video). Additionally, we are dealing with audiences who often do not have a fine understanding of artifact conservation and might feel insulted if we begin asking them to put on cotton gloves (not to mention the possibility of killing the pace of your routine).

So, from me, I'd urge everyone using Dopps to give up on the idea of cotton gloves in performance . . . waterless hand sanitizer, maybe, but just as a convincer--the performer squirts a bit on his hands and rubs it in whilst discussing the books, making certain it is well and truly dried before picking up the first book. He then leaves the bottle out on the table beside the books as a hint that others should do the same before handling these rare and expensive volumes (though he is too polite to insist).

In point of fact, you DO want a lot of people handling your books. That will only help to loosen the pages further and build up a bit of genuine soiling that will only help add to the overall appearance of age. In fact, you should read each of them yourself, and encourage your family members to leaf through them page-by-page (perhaps make them the bedtime stories for the children? . . . never too early to seed the next generation of bizarrists.) The more handling they get, and the more hand oil they absorb, the quicker they will gain additional *feel* and *smell*. Valuable convincers.

How do you carry your books to the performance? I offer a little old-fashioned DIY suggestion on the final pages of your performance manual (coming soon to an email attachment near you).

Back to my dungeon now . . .

Best,
Professor BC
Phasmologist
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
I am an academic and specialize in 17th-century literature. I own many editions from that age, and I handled maybe hundreds such books (and older) during my researchers in libraries around the world. I agree with the guy in the vid too: clean hands and common sense are all you need to preserve books from the centuries past.

as for Doppleganger, good thing I usually don't go to sleep until 5am or so; living in the EST zone this will be of great help.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
In anticipation of Doppelgänger I decided to read the three volumes before the books arrived. For others who wish to do the same here are some FREE resources I used:

Audio Books

The Hound of the Baskervilles – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – 1859-1930
https://librivox.org/the-hound-of-the-ba......n-doyle/

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Robert Louis Stevenson 1850-1894
https://librivox.org/search?q=The Strang......advanced

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe – Edgar Allan Poe 1809-1849
https://librivox.org/search?q=Edgar Alla......advanced

The above links are Librivox recordings, which can be hit or miss. They usually have a few readers to choose from, so choose the best one for you. Hound and Hyde are pretty straight forward; however you will have to dig around to get all of the items included in The Best Tales of Edgar Allan Poe. I have included the full contents of that book below.

I. MS. Found in a Bottle 6
II. A Descent into the Maelstrom 19
III. The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Schehera-zade 39
IV. Mellonta Tauta 60
I. The Devil in the Belfry 84
II. X-ing a Paragrab 94
III. The Sphinx 101
IV. The Imp of the Perverse . 107
I. The Assignation 120
II. Ligeia 134
III. The Fall of the House of Usher . . . . 153
IV. The Masque of the Red Death 175
I. The Murders in the Rue Morgue . . . . 188
II. The Purloined Letter 229
III. The Gold-Bug 251
I. William Wilson 3°°
II. The Black Cat 324
III. The Man of the Crowd 335
I. Berenice 347
II. The Tell-Tale Heart 357
I. The Cask of Amontillado . . . . . 364
II. Hop-Frog 372
III. The Pit and the Pendulum 383
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar . . 402
I. Shadow 418
II. Silence 421
III. Eleonora 425
I. The Island of the Fay 437
II. The Domain of Arnheim 444
III. Landor's Cottage 462

I am a big fan of the Audio Book. Librivox does a good job most of the time. For those that have Audible, you can find more professional readers on that site but it does cost $$. There is usually a free book you can download though simply for trying it out.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Allow me to edit Vic's much-appreciated listing. The following stories are included in the Dopps version of the Cody Poe (see quoted passage for edited list):

Quote:
On 2013-12-05 10:00, Vic Nadata wrote:
In anticipation of Doppelgänger I decided to read the three volumes before the books arrived. For others who wish to do the same here are some FREE resources I used:

Audio Books

The Hound of the Baskervilles – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – 1859-1930
https://librivox.org/the-hound-of-the-ba......n-doyle/

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Robert Louis Stevenson 1850-1894
https://librivox.org/search?q=The Strang......advanced

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe – Edgar Allan Poe 1809-1849
https://librivox.org/search?q=Edgar Alla......advanced

The above links are Librivox recordings, which can be hit or miss. They usually have a few readers to choose from, so choose the best one for you. Hound and Hyde are pretty straight forward; however you will have to dig around to get all of the items included in The Best Tales of Edgar Allan Poe. I have included the full contents of that book below [NOW EDITED TO REFLECT THE FULL-TEXT READINGS TO BE FOUND IN THE DOPPELGANGER VERSION].

I. The Fall of the House of Usher
II. The Masque of the Red Death
III. The Murders in the Rue Morgue
IV. The Purloined Letter
V. The Tell-Tale Heart
VI. The Cask of Amontillado
VII. Hop-Frog
VIII. The Pit and the Pendulum
IX. The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

I am a big fan of the Audio Book. Librivox does a good job most of the time. For those that have Audible, you can find more professional readers on that site but it does cost $$. There is usually a free book you can download though simply for trying it out.

Many thanks, Vic. Very helpful links!

BC
Phasmologist
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

The books are a great read. Not only have I read them multiple times... I teach them every year! [the 17th century is not all I do]
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Purchased! They call me quick-draw McGraw!
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Aaand I just ordered all 3 books! YAY!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Prof BC - Doppleganger - all you need to know and more.... (540 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12..18..24..30..36..37~38~39 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL