The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The 100th Monkey (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..30~31~32 [Next]
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Thanks Atlas, I think one of my strengths is routining and combining or tweaking effects. I've done a nice combining of Marc Paul's double drawing dupe, Bob Cassidy's name place and 4DT that I think you will like. I'll share it with you when we catch up next.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Luccky
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Luccky
Can't wait for the international version of the 100th Monkey. It sounds very very good.

Luccky
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Was chatting with Mark on Skype when he came up with this idea, I think its brilliant. He always has good ideas for changing things around and I often come away from our chats thinking, why didn't I think of that.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Mark-

Thanks as always for your amazing thinking.

I don't own this yet but I've been following it and did see the cards some weeks ago from a friend who has this.

I read earlier that there are a variety of cards that suit various lighting conditions at venues. As such, do you prior to a performnace have to go through some testing/trial and error to determine which cards are most effective in that particular locale/lighting situation?

The reason I ask is that I am very intrigued by the concept, especially for Speechless. But I am also worried a little that even with good management that this won't always be 99% spot on. No risk no reward, but that is why I am still a teeny hesitant to pull the trigger and get off the fence Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey Mark, Atlas is totally right – that is some sweet routining! In my update I make a similar point – an effect where you take away an ability makes a great lead in to an effect where you give someone an ability, especially if what you’re taking away – the ability to read – can be spun as a gift, a re-visitation of a time of youthful wonder they experienced as a child when everything was magic. I think these are powerful, resonant ideas.

And thank you, piyuyu.

Simon, yeah, you’re a Magoo. As I said in the update, while I used to dread getting people with bad eyesight as volunteers for this effect, now I can’t wait for it – then you can have two people side by side staring at the same word and seeing something completely different! And each able to handle the cards and absolutely convinced that what they are seeing is real. It is stunning to behold.

Jack Straw – yes you’re right, the lower light cards are treated differently, but if you hold them side-by-side with the bright cards you’ll see the writing is a bit larger which helps in dim light (though the cards are the same size). Hope that clarifies things…

Ahofer, Firestarter and Magic Brent – very cool ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, EddieM – it’s at MJM. It’s currently back in stock at most places – sorry, for any frustrations – the last few orders sold out in minutes. I think we’re in a more stable place right now.

Hey Saysold -- I recommend checking the light before a performance. It doesn’t take long. If it’s just too dim in a place (like a dark bar) the light on your cell phone will make it performable.

One last thing… Banachek just sent me his thoughts on The 100th Monkey:

“Taking these concepts and creating what you have is absolutely brilliant!”

Thank you, Banachek!

-Chris
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 11:42, george1953 wrote:
Was chatting with Mark on Skype when he came up with this idea, I think its brilliant. He always has good ideas for changing things around and I often come away from our chats thinking, why didn't I think of that.

Haha thanks for the kind words George, your own ideas are pretty impressive, I often come away from our chats thinking "why can't I think like that". I learn a lot from guys like you and Atlas and the things I pick up from you guys rubs off on me and parts will end up contributing to my twists on various ideas and routines.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Hey Chris,
I emailed you last night the password....looking forward to the update.
Blake
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Love the update, thanks Chris! And I'm definitely a Magoo, as are most people my age that I know. Even my best friend of 30+ years who until he hit fifty always bragged about his "bionic vision" and now needs reading glasses (I try not to be too amused by this turn of events, lol). Given this "trend," is there any way to make "Magoo-specific" cards? Just curious.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Mine is in the mail, very eager.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Chris send update soon.....im excited
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Thanks, Doctor Bill! I’m on the far side of fifty and do this for people my age all the time (and even my 84-year-old dad). I’m not sure what a Magoo card might be, but you could always 1) use the dim version of the cards, 2) print larger cards from the jpgs in the package, or 3) use light from a cell phone to make the card brighter and easier to read. That last one has been a big help for me. Since this illusion is based on optical principles, I suspect the same rules that apply to photography apply here. So just as you have a narrower depth-of-field when taking photos in dim light, it seems eyesight becomes more of a factor in dim light. Shining a light on the card ensures that almost everyone on the planet will see what you want them to see even in dim spaces like a bar.

But your question raises an interesting issue: if a performer has poor eyesight how does he judge what a person with normal vision will see in any particular lighting? I came up with two solutions. The first is to calibrate and compensate: before you perform, ask someone with normal vision (who you can tip this to) to spend a few minutes with you to tell you what he sees – he might see the same as you when he is two feet farther away for example, or the same as you when you wear reading/magnifying glasses (available at a pharmacies and dollar stores – heck, you could even do the test right at the rack in the store to get the exact magnification you need!)

A sneakier, on-the-fly way to get your volunteer to check the light for you without knowing it, but I’ll have to be vague describing it here (I’ll be more direct and detailed in the next update). Basically, before you remove a person’s ability to read you show them a card from 100th Monkey or Sixth Scent and have them read it – what they say will tell you what they see in that light while keeping them completely in the dark (so to speak). You then make adjustments before going into the next phase (you can switch to other light-level cards, shine a light on the cards or go into the “Magoo handling” (where you make a person with poor eyesight a control and do the actual routine on a normally-sighted person with the two people side-by-side seeing different things). Hope that’s clear, Doc – pm me if you have more detailed questions.

Hey Blake – we’ll be compiling everyone who registered after we sent out the update every few weeks and we’ll send out the update then. One day we’ll get one of those newfangled techno-machine-thingies that does it all automatically… Smile

-Chris
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
That is very sneaky, what a great way to check things out.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Agreed very sneaky mr Philpott. Smile

Steve
ferrismagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ferrismagic
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Shame the victim wasnt a bit more compliant, it would have been better if he actually tried to pronounce the words. Nice to see someone doing it in a live situation though, well done.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Not very intuitive to take someone's ability to read exactly near a big board with words on it is it?
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 16:17, LoveKey1988 wrote:
Not very intuitive to take someone's ability to read exactly near a big board with words on it is it?

what?
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
The performance that was posted....he says he will take the guy's ability to spean but the action happens right in front of a big thing with words on it. I am sure the spectator can clearly read those words even when "hypnotized"
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
And yet the person never said "Hey I can still read that big board" nor gave any indication that he could read the big board. My experience with this is that people get tunnel vision. They look at the cards you show them and don't look around for tother hings to read.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Do not have the effect but I do understand how it works. I do think the performance was a little over the top with grabbing hold of the spectator and trying to convince everyone that the chosen spec was hypnotised,come on seriously.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The 100th Monkey (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..30~31~32 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL