The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Adhesive for repairing Flipper coin (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
I dropped my Tango flipper coin, and the bonding gave out. In the promotional / instructional /tips DVD that comes with Tango coins, they tell how to repair it.
Unfortunately I believe he says something like, "use your favourite adhesive"... so I used crazy glue, for what I thought would be a strong bond. It is strong, but not totally resistant to cracking apart again if dropped. But it has been a total b**ch trying to get the crazy glue residue off! after much attention and scraping with a needle, I'm ready to try again. I have a few theories from this experience:
The bonding adhesive can't be so hard that it will crack if dropped. If it does break, the adhesive should be able to be cleaned fairly easily.

As a result I'm thinking rubber cement might be the way to go? has anyone tried aircraft model cement?

What's the best bonding glue for a Flipper coin or other similarly constructed things?

Thanks
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Strong double-sided tape.
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
DS tape? I never thought of that but I'll give it a shot, thanks!
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Stop dropping it!

As an aside: acetone is the best for cleaning up all things crazy-glue
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-12-06 23:10, afinemesh wrote:
Stop dropping it! [...]

This!

(and acetone)
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
I personnaly use Double stick tape use for holding carpet. You'll find it in hardware store.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I know That's what Todd Uses! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I use Scotch brand permanent double sided tape. I hear good things about carpet tape too.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2013-12-06 23:18, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-06 23:10, afinemesh wrote:
Stop dropping it! [...]

This!

(and acetone)

Thanks for the back-up, tomsk192

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Is acetone like nail polish remover? I thought it was like rubbing alcohol (which as it turns out, is not very effective)
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Evostick Adhesive Cleaner for removing the residue and then Evostick Impact Adhesive for the repair. Got that from one of the coin masters - Eddie Gibson. Hope it helps.

Nick
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Acetone is not "like" nail polish remover, it's the main ingredient in it. You can buy acetone at your local paint or hardware store.

And, acetone is acetone and not like rubbing alcohol which is why rubbing alcohol is not effective.

Lastly, acetone should be used with caution as it's highly flammable and rather toxic.

Rubbing alcohol is used if you have a booboo on yer finger or prior to getting a shot at the doctor! Smile

Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
Do not use rubber cement, its not strong enough and it leaves a mess when you take it off.

I recommend using some double stick tape. For the best effect, DO NOT use scotch double stick tape (it is too thick). Try to find one of those that require peeling off a layer before using it. Also, you want to cover the entire 'stationary' piece of the flipper with take so you have maximum surface area contact between the shell and that piece. To do this you would need to cover the smaller piece with tape completely, and then trim off the excess tape with scissors or an exacto knife

If you want to stick (haha) with using crazy glue, the best way to remove it is honestly... by using a really fine grain sanding paper/steel wool. Its difficult to remove crazy glue even with acetone (its better for removing tape residue). However, if you have a heat gun, then removing the crazy glue would be a lot easier. Simply apply heat to the parts that have glue on them and they will melt.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-12-08 19:33, Dentian wrote:
If you want to stick (haha) with using crazy glue, the best way to remove it is honestly... by using a really fine grain sanding paper/steel wool. Its difficult to remove crazy glue even with acetone (its better for removing tape residue).

I use acetone to soften it up, then physically remove the residue. If you can find a small enough craft razor blade and have a steady hand, I have found that if you are able to get underneath the layer of crazy glue that the whole thing (or at least a good portion) comes up pretty easily as it doesn't really bond with the metal. I have also scored the crazy glue residue with the craft razor (after softening it with acetone) and gotten rid of it with a small flathead screwdriver. But your idea of the fine grain steel wool or sanding paper is a good idea also (again, after softening the glue residue up with acetone).
future4told
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of future4told
I know this is a very old post but I was hoping someone could suggest where you can find the non-Scotch very thin double stick tape? Preferable like described where you have to peel off a backing. That will make it much easier to trim perfectly and set up before trying to reassemble.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I have scotts ds tape on my flipper and it looks fine. For what its worth it a Lassen barber set.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have a Tango US Quarter flipper and every time the band break (often) I re did it with super glue. Just a dab, it holds fine and I have never - not been able to clean off the old with an exacto knife. (due to it just being a dab)

For what it's worth, get a "NGF" next generation flipper from Mark Mason (or the flipper Joe Mogar sells) and don't worry about repairs again. You have to try really hard to break one of these babies.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
I just used a pair of hemostats to hold the scotch DS tape while I trimmed it. A quick search looks like they are easily found at Wal-Mart. A really small pair of needle nose pliers would work too. This also insures that you don't get any skin oil on the tape. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just big enough with no overlaps will work fine.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, future4told wrote:
I know this is a very old post but I was hoping someone could suggest where you can find the non-Scotch very thin double stick tape? Preferable like described where you have to peel off a backing. That will make it much easier to trim perfectly and set up before trying to reassemble.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Try carpet tape. I got some at Ace Hardware that worked well and is a bit thinner than the Scotch brand of (permanent) double sided tape.

For trimming, I apply the tape to the flipper piece and then use an Xacto knife to trim just _inside_ the borders. You don't touch the sticky part that way, and it ensures there's no excess along the edges that keeps it from fitting flush inside the main flipper body.

While you've got your flipper apart, do yourself a favor and replace the rubber band with elastic cord. It may well be the last time you need to open it back up.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I have a Tango US Quarter flipper and every time the band break (often) I re did it with super glue. Just a dab, it holds fine and I have never - not been able to clean off the old with an exacto knife. (due to it just being a dab)

For what it's worth, get a "NGF" next generation flipper from Mark Mason (or the flipper Joe Mogar sells) and don't worry about repairs again. You have to try really hard to break one of these babies.

I used to use super glue but it was a real pain. Difficult to get things clean, concern about permanently sealing the flipper closed, or needing to start all over if I didn't get the insert positioned just right. Simply too much trouble for something that would have to be done again before too long.

I haven't yet, but since I've replaced (almost) all my rubber bands with elastic cord, I'm thinking about going back to super glue -- but then I haven't had a reason to take any flippers apart again either. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Adhesive for repairing Flipper coin (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL