The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What got you into magic? (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7394 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And can even do sarcasm with his lips closed.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
djrosen
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of djrosen
I remember being about 8 or so and seeing my uncle do card in the orange at my grandparents apartment and I was hooked. I am almost 50 so getting your hands on magic back then was no easy feat for an 8 year old. My uncle also had friends that worked in a magic shop in The Honeycomb in The Staten Island Mall so I spent my time between going to the Arcade and The magic shop. I joined the Magic Club in High School did my first stage show. Did Asrah, Dancing cane, Dancing hanky and a Shadow Box. I have lost more magic than I care to think about. I found some of my old books and realize how many I wish I still had. I still have a signed second printing first edition of Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne that he singed for me at Katz's Deli after hanging out with him at Tannens in NYC, it got water damaged and I am devastated but at least I have it. A prized hard copy of Modern Coin Magic but I lost NYSINYD by Bill Tarr, Amateur Magicians Handbook, ugh the list goes on. I have about 3 or 4 card tricks that I do with my eyes closed but had pretty much been out of the game for years. I recently picked it back up with a zeal to learn again and now that I have more money and time, I hope I can do it justice.
djrosen
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of djrosen
OMG, I just posted this story behind a comment by The Harry Lorayne
**passes out**
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6408 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2017, djrosen wrote:
I still have a signed second printing first edition of Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne that he singed for me at Katz's Deli after hanging out with him at Tannens in NYC..

Somehow, I can imagine Harry singing at Katz's...the man has talents the world has not seen. To see him in his home environ, enjoying what he does best...Wow. It's like I felt after meeting Al Flosso. Somehow, life has changed at that point. Harry is not only Master Of Cards...he is Master Of The MIND! Back on topic...

I'm not so much concentrating on my Magical beginnings...as much as morbidly fascinated as to what keeps BRINGING ME BACK...maybe my collection of stuff. Maybe my need for an odd hobby. Reminiscing on non-factual greatness. "Oh, the days when..." Never were. But I guess, when the timing is right, I enjoy that look of...-you know that look a dog gives when he hears a distant whistle. Stunned, when you do the PHIL trick with the cards. That reaction is what keeps it going I guess.

Stupidly simple stuff like PHIL. And things like The Vanishing Pencil at the cashier. Magic is attitude. And 95% acting. People believe what you tell them! Then....SHOW THEM! I dunno. I'll be 62 this year. 40 years ago, I'd be LIVING at Penguin. My closets would be full. Buying every effect under the sun. Today? Not so much. A piece of IT can be used (NOT FLOATING!) in many applications. A simple TT can do miracles! I don't do the standard CARD tricks. I do OTHER things with cards.

But (expletive) it, what keeps DRAGGING me back here? What forced of gravity have we not discovered...? What hidden Black Hole are we being DRAWN towards? (~Shudder~!)

(Expletive)! I'm-a go get my Sponge Bunnies...

Doug
smike
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of smike
I've always been into watching magic, but over the last couple of years my son started watching with me (particularly Fool Us). I bought a very cheap version of the colour-changing poker chips on a whim, did it for my son, and it blew his mind. His reaction was enough to make me start taking it more seriously.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What got you into magic? (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL