The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Card Brand Debate as it applies to card magic. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On , videoman wrote:
Quote:
On , Poof-Daddy wrote:
[Also free shipping on orders over $75 (only $6.50 otherwise)(if ordered on mobile site). Not sure about the regular website.

I ordered well over $75.00 and didn't get free shipping. That was off the regular website but don't know why the mobile site would be different.
This may be a special offer available only with certain criteria or to preferred customers. I don't think it is a general policy so I would be cautious in announcing it as such.

In follow-up to my revised order request I asked for the free shipping option if eligible. If I get it, great. If not, the whole thing is a great deal anyway, and I won't quibble. Since Christian might actually lose money on shipping in many cases, and since some of his proceeds are going to support the Café, I am disinclined to split hairs over six bucks. I have spent a lot more than that on really dumb stuff in my time.

I am guessing the standard order staff are busy (good sign for this product). Taking them a while longer to reply this time, but I know that once the product gets in the post it just flies.

Les
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
My team started again this morning. Every order has to go through our invoice system, needs to be uploaded to our backoffice server as some shipments go from the USA and some from Germany and that takes some time. The weekend, while I was in Blackpool was really frenzy, so the girls are quite busy right now... Smile
Roger, who handles the shipments from USA, also returned today, and after getting over his jet lag he will also start shipping due orders.

Regarding the small and large pips debate: I am open to produce compatible small extra aces as "add-ons", so that you can buy them separately in assorted packs to prepare the setup you would like to use: large or small Aces. It would just not make sense to offer the decks in both options, that would start a mess. Would that make some people happy?
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On , Card-Shark wrote:
My team started again this morning. Every order has to go through our invoice system, needs to be uploaded to our backoffice server as some shipments go from the USA and some from Germany and that takes some time. The weekend, while I was in Blackpool was really frenzy, so the girls are quite busy right now... Smile

And then you have flip-flopping me writing repeatedly about modifying an existing order Smile I hope I haven't created excessive headaches for wanting to modify an order that is already made and paid for. Please know that my impatience reflects my excitement over the product, and only that.

Thank you for your personal reply to my query about gaffs for AITF. Knowing how swamped you are, it was very much appreciated.

Les
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On , Card-Shark wrote:

The mobile shop uses a different front end that I programmed myself, and to promote it, the free of charge shipping for orders above a certain amount applies there.

The service of printing custom cards needs to wait a bit longer, as it really kills some time. I might consider just to offer that service only for the Phoenix brand in the future to filter out the time consuming jobs while I support my customers who moved over to Phoenix in the best possible way.

Would hate to see the custom printing eliminate non-Phoenix cards as it filled a need with having them printed rather than split.

Also, hate to pick nits but if you really wanted to promote your mobile site you should have mentioned the special mobile deal in your "Trick of the Year Celebration" email.

Customers tend not to become loyal when they feel duped. Not your intention I'm sure, but it's surprising that you apparently didn't think that some might be left with a bad feeling upon learning that they could have received free shipping over $75 if they had simply ordered from the "correct" website.

And no, it's not really the $6.50 that's important, but the principle.
When trying to win magicians over to your brand (which is a huge task), why risk alienating anyone right off the bat?
Doesn't make sense to me.
Again, not a big deal in the long run but just not a smart move IMHO.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
@videoman: this free of charge service exists for more than a year. This is nothing new and I do not have to mention things that are out there for a year when I already promoted it a year ago.

And regarding the printing: I have to make a decision when my working days are about 14-18 hours per day what I want to drop. Dropping my relationship with my wife or dropping to make Bicycle gaffs: the decision will be easy. ;-) I hope you understand.

I have tons of new releases I need to care about, maybe one of it being the next Trick of the Year?!

Chinese Proverb
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On , videoman wrote:
And no, it's not really the $6.50 that's important, but the principle..

I agree too in principle. Just wanted to emphasize that when I was opining about not being that fussed about the $6.50 one way or the other, I was referring solely to my own analysis of the issue and how I felt about it. I respect entirely that others might have a different view--especially working magicians (not dilettante hobbyists like me) who purchase a lot of gear for their work and thus want to ensure that they are getting the best and fairest price. If there is variance in costing depending on how one orders a product, I would like to be clearer on that beforehand.

On that note, I believe you and I have our own transaction to conclude. Will PM you later.

Les
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You're probably sick and tired of answering these kinds of questions, but I'll ask anyway...

Is there any chance you've considered having the box printed with your YOUR ace of spades on the front instead of the phoenix? (a la bicycle)
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Well, I did not consider it so far, I wanted to have some difference to the Bicycle Box. I already had to fight for my Ace of Spades at the beginning (twice!!! for the first AND second run) as USPC legal department claimed I would try to fake their Ace of Spades and profit from their brand. So if the box would have been closer to the Bicycle one... But all in all a good point. I have trick boxes in my warehouse for more than 2 years that do NOT show the Phoenix bird on the front. Smile Instead a playing card is "sticking out" as a revelation.

Chinese Proverb
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I understand. I'm surprised they let your ace go as is. It's not that you're wanting to profit from their brand, you're wanting to fly under the radar, so to speak. At least from my perspective.
If my spectators were asked later .. "what did the box look like" I would want them saying.. "i have no freaking idea" .... not... "some bird was on it".

I DO use the box in my work, hence my care on the subject

Something classic in black would for the case/jokers would look good and go unnoticed, IMO...

Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Lol, how about this?! I have REVERSE printed boxes, that is an idea by Woody Aragon. The "face" of the tuck case is where the half moon is, the "back" of the tuck case is where the lid is attached to. That way your spectators will only have seen a box with the playing card design on...

The box alternative btw. allows to slide a card under the cellophane on the front that stays undetected.

Chinese Proverb
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Not a bad idea.

I very much like the bus, btw.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On , Card-Shark wrote:
@videoman: this free of charge service exists for more than a year. This is nothing new and I do not have to mention things that are out there for a year when I already promoted it a year ago.

So you want to promote your mobile site by no longer promoting the promotion you put in place to promote it?
Hmmm, okay.

Just thought it would be a nice gesture to remind your customers about it more often, as evidenced by the fact that I was not the only one on this thread unaware of it.
Seems like a simple enough thing to do but if you would rather not then that is obviously your choice (albeit a strange one to my mind.)

AFA the cards themselves...my feedback is also for a different joker. Don't care for the bird (although I realize it fits your Brand), prefer something in B&W and identical.

Frank, AFA as the box design I agree with you but I almost always slip them into a Bike box and nobody notices or cares.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Well, for all who still have to get used to the Phoenix bird... Smile
This is how the alternative Joker looks

Chinese Proverb
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I don't mind the birds. Jokers arent that important to me since I really only use them in packet tricks (generally only require them to be totally different cards than what was expected). The new joker looks cool though - and a nice reveal I see. Even with bikes, some like the new full color jokers, some don't. I don't really care as long as I have as many as I need for whatever packet trick I am doing and they are consistant (all B&W or all Color). I think the same will hold true with the alternate jokers.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I like the black and white joker.
I'm not opposed to the colors as much as I'm opposed to the "cartoon" look of the bird(s).
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

That joker would be great for forcing the 4 of clubs and then finding the joker instead; an apparent mistake!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Nice to have the card reveal on that joker.
I like that it is subtle but once pointed out is very noticeable.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Come on guys, this is all for you Smile
I am planning to put a removeable sticker onto the Phoenix Decks so that magicians would be more aware.

Chinese Proverb
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2014, Card-Shark wrote:
Come on guys, this is all for you Smile
I am planning to put a removeable sticker onto the Phoenix Decks so that magicians would be more aware.

Will that barcode have an embedded password or will you still have to go to the site and sign up for one?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I like the alternative joker design a lot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Card Brand Debate as it applies to card magic. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL