The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bengal Net (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Has anyone here ever built a new version Bengal Net? The new version works differenly than the older version that was produced by U.F. Grant decades ago. If you have built a new version, I would like to connect via PM.

New Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lfbFnhaEoQ

Old version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UF9IlkW4cI

Thank you,

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
I have a version build by Sam Dalal but your looks very sleek. Great Job.
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
I agree that the new version is much more deceptive.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
With the older version, you had a reason for that black banner in the back. I built one with a black banner that was attached to the top by Velcro. At the start there was only the net hanging down (I used a PVC pipe magic wand as described in my PVC Pipe Illusions Book Two). When I put the Dove in the net, it was difficult to see, so only then did I take the black banner (which was in use as a table cloth up until that moment) and attach it behind the net, so everyone could easily see the white dove inside the net. Then when the transformation took place (never a vanish- it's always best to have the dove turn into a white silk) the entire apparatus was laid back down on the table (depression aka where do the ducks go?) and the table moved off stage by an assistant for recycling purposes. It gave a reason for being to all the parts.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I feel like this would make much more sense if it were just hooked onto the end of the table. Jim got a heck of a lot closer, but I still just can't get used to the whole black banner hanging there. It's just to "proppy" feeling. I'd much rather hook this into a table or something to justify it a little more. That way there's nothing to explain, you just hook it onto something to be hands free so that you can handle the bird.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What is shown in the video as the old version, is not a U.F. Grant product.

Attached is a picture in gray scale of the original Grant Bengal Net trick.

Click here to view attached image.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The black behind the net helps people see the net. If this was real magic you wouldn't need the net either you could just toss the rabbit in the air then if that was possible, whay not toss a dog, a camel or a horse. Props make the audience focus.

Imagine that you were in a room with white venetian blinds behind you and Par Cans for lighting so the entire "it's proppy looking" argument, for the Bengal Net. is one for people who over think things. The need to explain things, when you're a magician... Why does anyone need to explain things? Where... ever... has a spectator said "That floating gorl was great but I didn't like the stage you were on, with the curtains and lighting and all those costumes"

look in the box - it's empty - ah, Rabbit...!

Applause emanates from the audience at this point. not "I'd like it better if there wasn't a box.
If there wasn't a box the audience would say "He had it in his jacket or under the table." No matter where the rabbit comes from or vanishes to, someone will have an idea.

At least, with a box, you have a focal point and the rabbit appears in a sequestered area. This is harder to do then an empty field. Make a rabbit apper from an empty field and someone will say that he came up through a hole in the ground.

Where would the man who gets shot from the cannon be, without the cannon? Who can actually teleport themselves? We need cars, bikes, planes or... are those too proppy?

The black banner in the back serves a useful purpose even if it wasn't part of the modus operandi.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The banner doesn't have to be black, either. Qua-Fiki has a trick called "Fish Fry" in his Go-Fish Card Tricks book, that is a little fish net that he pins to his jacket (like an ID badge). It works with any color jacket, as long as it is a solid color. Chris Stolz' idea of attaching the net to a table could also use any color table cloth behind it. Black is only needed when shadows have to be vanquished.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Bengal Net is an offspring of the Grand Illusion Tiger in a Cage Illusion. The Tiger is placed in a cage and the cage is hoisted high into the air. A bag, smoke, or just a yell from the magician and the cage falls apart, and the tiger is gone.

The Bengal Net is an illusionette, if you will, for the magician who cannot afford or transport the a huge cage and tiger around to his shows.

It is what it is, and some magicians use and like it. It can be used for animals, and even other props to visibly change.

In the photo above the ribbon is red that borders the white net. A very good black art principle in use. It does have angle problems so it is best to control your side audience and work back from that is to the front of the performer.

As usual in today's market, the India models are not made correctly and look horrible.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
It could be any venue where the object(s) can't be seen, not just because of shadows but bright lighting, background color or locations that have a lot of openings which could be used for magical purposes,

Outside in an amphitheatre: On a bright day the net or it's occupant may not be obvious. There may be too much sunlight in the spectators eyes and the prop can't be seen at all.
Against a brown wood fence with a brown Rocky the Racoon: You need a different color for the cloth to relay distance from the background... (Least the audience assumes that Rocky was tossed through an opening in the fence.)
Doing your show on a yacht. Without a backdrop behind the net the audience might speculate that you tossed Rocky overboard (not a bad idea)

Jasper Maskelyne used lights to hide full size tanks driving over a ridge, in broad daylight. Just generally speaking, a backdrop behind the net frames the action no matter how the trick works.
http://magic.about.com/od/biosonfamousma......lyne.htm
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Bill, You are thinking of illusions based on S.S. Henry's Goat Vanish (somewhat different working), the Cargo Net (Girl in Net) Vanish is what the smaller Bengal Net Vanishes are based on.

Blair
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
If the old version is performed correctly it is a masterpiece, I have had great success with it and love the color and decorations of the original U.F. Grant model which has a tiger on the top board.......again, when performing this you need to at the lease wave your hand infront of the apparatus when making its change or a flash of light, etc. I would not suggest performing as the gentleman did in the video.

Chuck
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
"Props make the audience focus."

Thanks Jay (I mean it!) simply well put -- if ever there was a truth to be told. And, focusing the audience's attention is a very distilled definition of a magical performance.

-Chris
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
This is the best version - today - it looks incredibly visually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z46OqBs-bI
Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I just dug out the older version, put this and a few other MAK items on a brief video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aS50DxFCYY0

Chuck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bengal Net (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL