The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MINDvention » » Panel Discussion vs Lectures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Working on the schedule... if you had the choice of a panel discussion or more lectures, what would you prefer? No need to show your work...
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lectures all the way!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lectures all the way!

I think panel discussions are fine first thing in the day, but prefer lectures the remainder. That way f someone chooses to not be interested in the panel, they can just skip it, rather than having a hole in the middle of their day. Just my 2 cents since you asked.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Hi Danny:

I'd flex with the lectures too, with one type of exception. An exploratory topic, or a topic with several contrasting perspectives, can be best served with a panel of advocates. Last year's panel, which discussed some pros and cons of mixing mentalism and magic, was a notable example.

George
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Lectures. I find that I get very little real information from panel discussions. I get a lot of opinion but little knowledge.

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Lectures are my vote as well.
John
MT
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MT
Lectures. I get more out of them.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Lectures seem to be the preference here..on our MV on Facebook page panels discussions seem to be favored.

If you haven't replied yet, please do so and friend us on Facebook why don'tcha...
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Funny, perhaps the demo has something to do with the results you're getting. Seems everyone here is over 35-40, not on facebook personally. Yet I'm betting facebook is getting the opinion of the younger wave to mentalism. Not sure just what I'm picking up. (Now that I've said it word will get around and some younger guys will chime in here to even it out I'm sure).

For those of us that aren't one facebook, what's their reasoning, just out of curioslity?
Townsend1
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Townsend1
Definitely lectures! I've attends Mindvention three years now and gained much more from the lectures than the panel discussions! Thanks for asking Danny! Your efforts to continually improve this great event are really appreciated!
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Hands on workshops.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Lectures Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Lecture me.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, John C wrote:
Lecture me.

Don't go outside without a coat, it's freezing out there.
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Lectures
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Definitely lectures
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Lectures
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Lectures.
GaMind
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
73 Posts

Profile of GaMind
Agreed, lectures.
volcane
View Profile
New user
Virginia
37 Posts

Profile of volcane
Okay, I'm going to be contrary here just because... I am! Last year I very much enjoyed the panel discussion on blindfolds. Docc Hilford wore a blindfold through most of the discussion, which was inspired, funny, spot-on, and pure Docc. I appreciated hearing the opinions of a diverse panel -- their perspectives, their stories, their valuable tips, their disagreements -- all good. So, I say: If the subject is right (the right way and wrong way to do book tests, or the perils of predictions, for example), one panel discussion in a convention adds variety. I also feel more strongly than Danny, I suspect, about the value of a moderator who can keep peripatetic panelists on track, on subject, on time.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in Sin City in under six weeks! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MINDvention » » Panel Discussion vs Lectures (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL